Router info?

Putty

When I went from a standard Linksys router to the built-in router/modem that AT&T uses, I have been having trouble with email. I started to notice it with my cellphone if I were to send an email while connected to wifi I'd get an error saying failed to send message. At first I thought it was the app, so after taking it off several times and then trying to send mail connected to 3G, I realized it has to be the router. Then I started to have weird issues with my iPad and email, so after restoring it and updating, I'm totally convinced it's the router. Any ideas? I can receive email just fine.

I'm thinking it's a port. Dunno which it could be. I considered going back, but they have it in my basement and it's broadcasting strong as hell. My Linksys did not have that kind of strength I don't think.

Guest Spam

Is it old? Routers go bad so easily. If you want to try to change something, or see what kind of settings you have available to change, do this. Please do not bitch, im doing this all from memory since i dont have a windows machine in front of me, lol

Go to start, type cmd, right click, hit run as admin. type ipconfig /all. Find your gateway ip address which should be 192.168.X.X. Go to your browser, enter that in, and a menu should pop up with a user name and password. On gateways is usually something like admin admin or admin password or admin "blank". See if you can login to the router and change any settings. Youll be looking for advanced router settings.

Hope that helps.

I just called ATT. They are saying this is happening because by default they block port 25. He claims this is because a lot of attacks are done on this port. He said he had to make a change on his Android to make his work and he's sure it needs to be changed on the iPad as well.

Here's the kicker, they have to enable that port from their end and I have to PAY FOR IT. I told him to go to hell and I will disable it and go back to my router that's getting no use right now! Fucking companies will try every way to get money from people.

Guest Spam
I was going to say port 25, but i wasnt sure. Thats crazy man. Throw that gateway through the nearest ATT store. Blows my mind that they are trying to "protect" you from an attack. Good luck with whatever you do. IF you need help setting up your router, i can help!

If you have a linksys router then go download any of the many custom firmwares that are available. DD-WRT or Tomato GUI are the best known ones. I personally use tomato myself.

Those GUIs will allow you to up the voltage to the wifi antennas. Just be careful and look up your model and see what people say is a good setting. To high can cause problems.

If Port 25 is being blocked at the Modem level, how will a router attached inside of it access Port 25?

KillJoy

LOL! It's not. It's a modem/router combo. The port is blocked on the router side. I call BS, if I can manage the router settings, I can manage the port settings I'm sure. I will try when I get home.

If you have a linksys router then go download any of the many custom firmwares that are available. DD-WRT or Tomato GUI are the best known ones. I personally use tomato myself.

Those GUIs will allow you to up the voltage to the wifi antennas. Just be careful and look up your model and see what people say is a good setting. To high can cause problems.

Are they router firmware or are they .exes you install on PC and it knows to find your router? Sounds interesting.

Is this a uverse gateway? They are junk IMO. Get a decent router and hook it up with it. It should enable a router-behind-router mode (DMZ-Plus)

If its the uverse wireless gateway good luck, those fucks don't even have wireless-n.

Are they router firmware or are they .exes you install on PC and it knows to find your router? Sounds interesting.

DD-wrt

Tomato Gui

Tomato USB

They are not exe files they are .bin files usually and you go into the routers GUI and update to the custom firmware.

DD-wrt is a more general GUI its more than likely the most user friendly. Tomato has a few more options but is not as easy to use or navigate. Tomato USB is pretty much the same but a little newer and supports more routers including those that have USB ports.

I just called ATT. They are saying this is happening because by default they block port 25. He claims this is because a lot of attacks are done on this port. He said he had to make a change on his Android to make his work and he's sure it needs to be changed on the iPad as well.

Here's the kicker, they have to enable that port from their end and I have to PAY FOR IT. I told him to go to hell and I will disable it and go back to my router that's getting no use right now! Fucking companies will try every way to get money from people.

Thats pretty much a backwards protection racketeering scheme.