Built 8.8 or 9"- <800 whp, auto, 2800lbs

hpfiend

Hey guys-

For about 6-800 rwhp- automatic, 2800 lb car on slicks. Explorer 31 spline 8.8 with welded axle tubes, cover girdle and studs, double packed trak-lok. (~500.00)

Or 9" Versailles housing but I have to buy 31(33) spline center section and axles (~1650.00)

Both will have disc brakes and I will have to weld the spring perches and set pinion angle on both- the explorer will be about 1" longer on each side and the versailles will be perfect. The fenders should accomodate the 1" without rolling- 9" is about 80 lbs heavier but gear swaps though more expensive are easier. I am leaning towards the exploder as I think the 9" may be overkill for an automatic lightweight car and is 3x the price and heavier.

Thanks

If I was going to use the 8.8 I would weld on 9" ends, add 9"axels and add a spool. Then you could cut it down to the same size as the versaillas. But going this route would probably cost as much as the versailas set up!

If I were to run a 8.8 that is how I would build it. I have cut corners befor because of price. And I usually end up buying the good stuff later!

If I was going to use the 8.8 I would weld on 9" ends, add 9"axels and add a spool. Then you could cut it down to the same size as the versaillas. But going this route would probably cost as much as the versailas set up!

If I were to run a 8.8 that is how I would build it. I have cut corners befor because of price. And I usually end up buying the good stuff later!

how is the turn off at the end of the track with the spool? Probably dumb ??? but do you need 9" ends or c-clip eliminators with disc brakes? Or are the caliper brackets insignificant in shear strength?

if its any help i will be going with a built 8.8 in the fc this winter 500whp n/a and 650ish on spray

Are you going to weld 9" ends on? I am afraid of doing that without a jig-

I am going to preheat with oxyacetylene and then try to tig the housing to the tubes with some 1/8" nickel smaw rod without flux.

Are you going to weld 9" ends on? I am afraid of doing that without a jig-

I am going to preheat with oxyacetylene and then try to tig the housing to the tubes with some 1/8" nickel smaw rod without flux.

or just MIG it. Do it an inch at a time and let it fully cool in between welds and you'll greatly lessen your chances of warping the housing.

AJ- are these what you are talking about?

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/products/billet-housing-ends#

It looks as if they are self centering so maybe I wouldn't need a jig at all as long as I could keep them from backing out... for some reason I was thinking they would need to be butt welded

if you're going to be at 600-800 rwhp, you'll be fine with regular 8.8", and welded tubes. if you're going to do tons of drag racing, maybe weld the 9" ends. the 9" is overkill. my car has a fully built 8.8" with welded tubes, 31spline axles, trutrac, etc etc. my car was at 590 rwhp and 3600lbs, before i went auto

how is the turn off at the end of the track with the spool? Probably dumb ??? but do you need 9" ends or c-clip eliminators with disc brakes? Or are the caliper brackets insignificant in shear strength?

For the record, I have a 9" in my car now. I would have built the 8.8 properly on this last rebuild but I tweaked the D/S axle tube and took a chunk out of the tube where it was pressed in to the center section. I didn't feel comfortable trying to fix this. It cost a little more to go with the 9" but it should withstand anything I throw at it. 35 spline with a spool.

" how is the turn off at the end of the track with the spool? Probably dumb ??? "

No big deal, you are turing at like 5 or 10 mph. I drive on the street with mine! you just take corners a lot slower.

"but do you need 9" ends or c-clip eliminators with disc brakes? Or are the caliper brackets insignificant in shear strength"

Call moser they will have the brackets for what ever route you decide to take. Or what ever kind of brakes you decide to use. Just call them and they will have it. I have my stock rear discbrakes mounted to the 9".

my power goals are within your spec, auto, just might be a bit heavier but not by much. I went with the same 31 spline diff, clutch upgrade/springs, 31 spline axles and welded housing. Not sure even when the car will be done but I guess time will tell how long that combo will last

What are you doing about an axle retention device which is required at 10.99 or faster? I doubt I can slide by on disc brakes caliper brackets and dont really want to have leaky c-clip eliminators that will work with drums both of which makes the 9" hybrid ends appealing-

I haven't priced the alignment jig that is needed as they are a butt-weld.

What are you doing about an axle retention device which is required at 10.99 or faster? I doubt I can slide by on disc brakes caliper brackets and dont really want to have leaky c-clip eliminators that will work with drums both of which makes the 9" hybrid ends appealing-

I haven't priced the alignment jig that is needed as they are a butt-weld.

I bet these would work to help with that. Thats if you can find them for 8.8

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear8.htm