The Devils Highway SR 666

Cdubyah

Kawi Kid and I decided to take a little adventure today. We took a ride down the devils highway. Located in Muskingum county.

The plan was to ride back to ride from Zanesville, to Dresden. So we scoped the trip via google maps. The aerial view didn't look to shabby. Lot of straight stretches along the route, or so we thought.

Let me just say, there is a reason why it is SR 666.

That road had my butt hole puckered for most of the trip.

It really wouldn't be to shabby if ODOT would actually put some effort into maintaining it. There were parts of the "road" that were non existent. Sign said "rough road", "I thought worse than what we have been riding on?" The road was there, than it wasn't. No road, just ground up asphalt. What a pleasant surprise.

There are several large dips in the road as well. I was unseated at least twice, standing on the pegs. Not purposely mind you :) Kawi said the 1st dip he hit he landed up on his tank after going through it.

Then there was the devils tunnel. Blind tunnel, 90 left, followed by a 90 degree right. Oh yeah, one lane too, totally blind corner. Was trying to figure out why the car in front of us was honking :confused:

The road is in such bad shape, at one point I could have been riding towards the shoulder, and rubbed my shin on the yellow lines. There was at least a foot of road drop off at some points. CRAZY.

Oh yeah, the straight stretches I meantioned earlier, I didn't really see:confused:. Most of the road was pretty curvy, with some wicked corners. Unfortunately half of the road didn't exist in the corners, so we weren't really blazing through them.

On a better note, there wasn't a whole lot of sand or gravel on the road! The scenery of the river wasn't to shabby either. Should be pretty nice when the leaves start to come back.

So take heed if you are going to ride the Devils Highway. Go slow, and be prepared for just about anything! Maybe even the Grassman.

Not a road to be really tearing down, IMHO.

Thought I would give you all some insight, just in case you were interested.

Edited by Cdubyah

nice...i might take the jeep down there and off-road a bit...:lol:
I was thinking the same thing. Too bad its far away and the wrangler only gets like 15mpg.

this would be a great road for a jeep............ or a tractor :lol:

honestly if it was just repaved it would be an amazing road. :dunno: why they let it get so bad.

...Then there was the devils tunnel. Blind tunnel, 90 left, followed by a 90 degree right. Oh yeah, one lane too, totally blind corner. Was trying to figure out why the car in front of us was honking :confused:

Yeah, love that tunnel (sarcasm). I almost got creamed going thru it once in my work van.

You're supposed to honk before entering it so hopefully someone on the other side hears you and waits for you to come thru.

road has went to shit hard core. how many times did u find ur self launching off the back ride of where the road is crack and drops down about 3 inchs or u hit s dip that sends u motorcross into the air.

shame they have let it go.

Tell me about that avatar! :guitar:

Man thats shitty to hear, trip 6's use to be a fucking blast!

Yeah I think nowadays the best thing about 666 is stopping to take a picture with your bike under the route sign! (something I need to do this year, along with 555)

I'm a sicko, I'm reading this and going "Yeah, now that sounds like my kind of road!".

Good road = good.

Bad road = better.

No road = bestest.

+1, as long as we are riding ATVs, 4x4s or at least a good dirtbike.... Not so much on street bike expecting the road to be made of a single, cohesive bit of asphalt.... On the other hand, I DO ride for the excitement, so who knows.

Does kinda sound adventurous though.... I may have to get down there just for the pic op. That, and I have never seen this devil's tunnel of which you speak, sounds like a civil engineering nightmare worth visiting.