Bitcoins?

kshymkiw83

Here is some figures for you for CPU vs GPU

My CPU, an Intel i5 2500k, which is a quad core currently at 3.6ghz, does 20.6 Mhashs/sec (Mhashs/sec = million hashes per second)

My GPU, a ATI 6950 (bios flashed to 6970) does 355Mhashs/sec.

It is not at all worth using a CPU vs a GPU. It's like putting a disabled child against a kodiak bear in a boxing ring. The most powerful GPU miner you can use is a 6990, which is two 6970s on one card. They can achieve over 800Mhashs/sec and net several bitcoins per day. You'd best be venting the heat from these cards to an outside window.

Here is some figures for you for CPU vs GPU

My CPU, an Intel i5 2500k, which is a quad core currently at 3.6ghz, does 20.6 Mhashs/sec (Mhashs/sec = million hashes per second)

My GPU, a ATI 6950 (bios flashed to 6970) does 355Mhashs/sec.

It is not at all worth using a CPU vs a GPU. It's like putting a disabled child against a kodiak bear in a boxing ring. The most powerful GPU miner you can use is a 6990, which is two 6970s on one card. They can achieve over 800Mhashs/sec and net several bitcoins per day. You'd best be venting the heat from these cards to an outside window.

How many coins does one mine in a day from a mediocre home PC?

imma install it on a lab of library PCs and reap all the benefits

:gabe:

This would be the best thing to do. If you have a mediocre sized botnet, have them mine for you.

10,000 PC's mining for you is the way to go. This is why I think Bitcoin is flawed. This and several other reasons

This would be the best thing to do. If you have a mediocre sized botnet, have them mine for you.

10,000 PC's mining for you is the way to go. This is why I think Bitcoin is flawed. This and several other reasons

actually it don't work unless they all have 5xxx series GPU's or better our pool got hit by a botnet of 13000 hosts all CPU ming. Due to the slow speed of cpus he was only turning out 850mhash and his eff% was so low the botnet got banned.

I currently mine with a 5830 overclocked to 1010mhz 300mhz mem and I get 292mhash. I've already sold 1.5coins on the eu exchange and got 16$ per coin.

nvida blows at mining . right now newegg has 5830's on sale for 129. I would grab one if i was going to mine.

The prices are dropped really low atm. so not the best time to go in it to win it and build a mining rig but for those who already have a pc and just need a card its still worth it to buy a card and let it pay for itself over the next 40+ days.

nvida blows at mining . right now newegg has 5830's on sale for 129. I would grab one if i was going to mine.

The prices are dropped really low atm. so not the best time to go in it to win it and build a mining rig but for those who already have a pc and just need a card its still worth it to buy a card and let it pay for itself over the next 40+ days.

Pretty much what I have been doing. I don't believe in the system enough to invest in a huge rig, but don't see any harm in buying a card.

• 3 months later...

definitely.

i mean shit like this calls into question the very foundation of all fiat currency. what is the intrinsic value of either of these currencies (dollar or bitcoin)? nothing. sooner or later when there is an all out currency war, that will be the "z-day" everyone is waiting for. no one will go to work because the dollar will be worth shit. mass looting, shootings, more looting, more shooting, etc. its a tough concept to grasp. the same thing has happened in other remote parts of the world on a regional basis, but when shit heats up between the USD, YEN, EURO, etc, all hell will break loose.

definitely.

i mean shit like this calls into question the very foundation of all fiat currency. what is the intrinsic value of either of these currencies (dollar or bitcoin)? nothing. sooner or later when there is an all out currency war, that will be the "z-day" everyone is waiting for. no one will go to work because the dollar will be worth shit. mass looting, shootings, more looting, more shooting, etc. its a tough concept to grasp. the same thing has happened in other remote parts of the world on a regional basis, but when shit heats up between the USD, YEN, EURO, etc, all hell will break loose.

I'm hoarding bottlecaps, assuming that the only people who survive will have played Fallout

I'm thinking the IRL cataclysm will use Yeungling bottlecaps. Or at least thats what I keep telling people who ask why I drink so much of it.

Good looking out. Now, I really need to figure out how to get some Power Armor put together. And maybe a plasma rifle.

I dont get it... Anyone want to sum it up in a nutshell?

Some program uses your GPU to "Mine" coins and there worth money?

The cliffnote version is yes, your GPU "mines" for coins. You can either mine for yourself, or get into pooled mining. Unless you are running sick hardware, you won't mine anything worthwhile. The complexities of how and why are pretty tough to explain.

There have been economic studies completed on bitcoins to explain mining to not be monetarily beneficial for several factors.

1. The cost of electric used and ventilation used is more than the bitcoins mined are worth.

2. Lack of infrastructure to spend bitcoin.

3. Bitcoin as a bubble.

4. Various security issues which are deep and varying. Anything from insecurities in the eWallet in the cloud, to your local host.

All in all its not worth it.