Through hiking the Appalachian Trail

AWW$HEEET

I have met a few people over the years that have done parts of it and just a couple that have done the whole thing. They really do mean it when they say you will never do the whole thing on your first attempt. Most do smaller sections of the trail on the years before attempting the whole thing. I have only done a very small section in the Great Smoky Mountains from Newfound Gap to the top of Clingman's Dome. I think it was like 5 or 7 miles.

I read a lot on whiteblaze.net and enjoy reading people's trail journals. I personally would love to do it, but I have several years before I could attempt it. I don't want to miss a whole spring/summer of my son growing up. There are some good documentries/movies on Netflix about through hiking.

Have you done any parts of the Buckeye Trail? It'd be a good way to train. If you can't do 12-15 miles a day, I wouldn't even attempt it yet.

I read a lot on whiteblaze.net and enjoy reading people's trail journals. I personally would love to do it, but I have several years before I could attempt it. I don't want to miss a whole spring/summer of my son growing up. There are some good documentries/movies on Netflix about through hiking.

Have you done any parts of the Buckeye Trail? It'd be a good way to train. If you can't do 12-15 miles a day, I wouldn't even attempt it yet.

they say if you can do 3-4 days of it, you can do the whole thing. id be interested in hiking the buckeye trail but I don't know anything about it.

My dad was not a 'through-hiker' but he did a 7-day stint across 4 different summers, if you would like any info I can give you his email to chat with him.

I also have two friends that were through hikers and did the entire trail. I will ask if you can email them.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I jogged the whole thing one AM before work...no big deal. I got a little hungry towards the end, good thing I brought a granola bar.

There is a girl currently on the trail trying to beat the supported thru hike record which is currently 47 days. She is on track to beat it currently averaging 45+ miles per day. I've seen some of the trail logs where she has put in 50+ miles a day. Just crazy.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?71708-Supported-AT-Speed-Record-Attempt-Jennifer-Pharr-2011

id be interested in hiking the buckeye trail but I don't know anything about it.

Buckeye Trail is a nice trail, how ever they seem to change routes often enough that they never put out new maps, thats the only down fall. Went to go do a 7 mile hike and it turned into a 13 miler.

Also be ready for lots and lots of ticks if you hike the buckeye.

http://www.sawyer.com/SP718b.htm - best friend for keeping ticks off/bugs away.

There is a girl currently on the trail trying to beat the supported thru hike record which is currently 47 days. She is on track to beat it currently averaging 45+ miles per day. I've seen some of the trail logs where she has put in 50+ miles a day. Just crazy.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?71708-Supported-AT-Speed-Record-Attempt-Jennifer-Pharr-2011

i thought about doing some summer cross country running on it for training one summer, i asked about running on the trail on an AT forum, and i was met with nothing but opposition to said running. odd.