Dealership parts prices?

acklac7

So I had to order new contacts for my starter, fucking like almost $40 for both of them from Germain Lexus:confused: I can get a new rebuild kit w/shipping for $30 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/starter-repair-kit-Lexus-SC300-3-0L-92-94-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aSC300QQhashZitem56431102abQQitemZ370492375723QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

(granted it would take a week or so to get here as opposed to next-day from the dealership).

I can't imagine these contacts cost the dealership more then like $10 yet they charge me 4x that...Why? Is there some way to get them to come down on price? Like can I setup an account or someshit? (dude on one of the Lexus forums mentioned something about dealships "high-grossing" walk in customers:confused:) figured someone here would know more about dealer parts departments.

Yea but like when I used to get parts from Cadillac they had some little sticker on the computer that read something like "list +20%" "list + 40%" etc. I always assumed that it was some pricing schedule, I.E. so-and-so automotive gets list price +20%, average Joe gets list price +200% etc. I just wanna know what im talking about before I walk in there so I don't look stupid when I ask him to come down.

And while were at it I was getting parts down in Florida once and the dealership tried to charge me like 2x what he quoted me over the phone. When challenged he quickly typed in a few numbers on the computer and said "my bad, I was in the wrong category" (yea right buddy). Is there any incentive for a parts manager to gouge people? Like do they get a bonus based upon sales??

Usually shops will get jobber pricing or somewhere close to that. I was a parts manager at Nourse Chevrolet in Delaware for 2 years and it was like a 150% markup on some stuff. Honestly if we liked the person then we would give them flat jobber. if not then we could pretty much set the price up to full list.

Usually shops will get jobber pricing or somewhere close to that. I was a parts manager at Nourse Chevrolet in Delaware for 2 years and it was like a 150% markup on some stuff. Honestly if we liked the person then we would give them flat jobber. if not then we could pretty much set the price up to full list.

Thats what I was looking for...(and what I had initially thought)...Love CR.

Out of curiosity how did you like the parts department? Every time I go and talk to those guys they seem like there having a ball...seems like a kick-ass job.

Out of curiosity how did you like the parts department? Every time I go and talk to those guys they seem like there having a ball...seems like a kick-ass job.

I actually got my start in parts at Jegs. Worked there for a 1.5 years first then wen to Nourse Chevy, Plaza Pontiac and ran the Parts America in Delaware for a little while. Jegs was the coolest, the dealerships were fun because we had free reign pretty much but fights with the techs were pretty common. Parts America was just plain stressful.

Having a ball, yeah right. Go to kelly bmw, those motherfuckers are just plain rude. They seem like 15 yr old girls, working at mcdonalds, pissed at the world.

It depends on how much of a dick you are to me, and how nice I want to be.

Our parts system has a built in matrix that puts the customer pay price at a certain pertcentage over cost depending on the part and how much we paid for it. Sometimes it's 20%, sometimes it's 400%. I can easily change the pricing, but only do it for a walk-in customer if they seem genuinely nice. The only thing you could do is say you're from a made up shop, if they don't require your tax ID # to setup an account you'll probably get list -%15.

Parts jobs can be fun, depending on who you work with. I do nothing all day, mostly surf the internet and watch Netflix and I make pretty good money doing it.

Having a ball, yeah right. Go to kelly bmw, those motherfuckers are just plain rude. They seem like 15 yr old girls, working at mcdonalds, pissed at the world.

haha. so not true.

im afraid to ask who you dealt with.

could have been me on a bad day.

you do get sick of dealing with pathetic "customers" day after day.

Most Parts Employees are paid on a percentage of Gross Profit.It is like any other business if we aren't making money we don't have jobs.That being said there are "suggested retail" prices and some stick to it some go above it.What kind of Lexus were the starter contacts for?I put some contacts in my wifes Sienna for about $15.00 for the pair.

'92 SC300 - Long since discontinued so it wouldn't surprise me if I payed a premium. Also it wasn't "just" the contacts (as I initially had thought). Turned out to be the contacts + bolts,gaskets/seals,washers. Final bill was like $35.00. In the end I really can't complain, especially since everything was OEM.