Anyone been to Germany or Europe in general?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Haha thanks I will keep that in mind Brandon. I started looking at flying into different countries and learned that its a lot cheaper to fly into London then it is into Germany. Found flights to London for $550 a piece, and then from there to Amsterdam its a ridiculously low $56 dollars. Not only does that save us 1k bucks from the get go, but also cuts down a 8hr train ride to 1 1/2hrs on a plane. Just an idea at this moment really.

What sites did you guys use to find your hotels/hostels, plane tickets, train tickets ect...

Keep the info coming!!

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Thanks Brian I will add you. Again I appriciate all the info. It does suck that a day or 2 will be spent just on train traveling, but we kinda left 2 days open just for the fact that we knew there would be time wasted on the train. I really wish we could visit for say 2 weeks but my school schedule just doesn't allow for that. I figure what we don't get done this trip, we can always see on the next one, because I am sure there will be another trip over there after this one.

What are some things to be alert about, such as "don't drink the water", "don't go to this part of town" ect...i am just leary of traveling over seas because you are in their territory and are the outsider. What are some good foods to eat and what are some foods to avoid?

Any/all links possible to places to stay and trains would be highly appriciated

You really can't go wrong in Germany. Most people are very nice to American's, it's some of the younger crowd that haven't done shit that typically have a problem if at all. If you are traveling with a group you should be fine but just do normal travel abroad stuff, use your head.

Always have a dummy wallet with some BS cards and info to give if you are robbed. Keep your real wallet with money/cc, etc. in a separate location hard to reach and only small cash in a close pocket with the dummy wallet.

Haha thanks I will keep that in mind Brandon. I started looking at flying into different countries and learned that its a lot cheaper to fly into London then it is into Germany. Found flights to London for $550 a piece, and then from there to Amsterdam its a ridiculously low $56 dollars. Not only does that save us 1k bucks from the get go, but also cuts down a 8hr train ride to 1 1/2hrs on a plane. Just an idea at this moment really.

What sites did you guys use to find your hotels/hostels, plane tickets, train tickets ect...

Keep the info coming!!

It all depends on the time of year. I've seen flights anywhere from $400-600 if you get them at the right times. Peak times you could be $1k+.

As far as hotels, tons of info depending on time of year. This is a running link my parents keep for traveling in some of those area you want to visit.

Netherlands, Amsterdam

Hotel De Munck

Achtergracht 3, 1017 WL Amsterdam bij het

Frederiksplein

5 min from Rembrandtplein

phone 020 6236283 or fax 020 6206647

email demunck@wxs.nl

Germany: Rothenburg o. T

Pension Kreuzerhof

Fam. Kittlitz; now taken by son-in-law Malz

Millergasse 2-6

91541 Rothenburg o. T.

09861/3424

Fax: 09861/936730

E-mail: info@Kreuzerhof-Rothenburg.de

http://www.kreuzerhof-rothenburg.de/

Our favorite, husband speaks Eng.

and wife doesn’t; nice music

51Euro/2 has parking inside fence 3 euro

Germany: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

91541 Rothenburg ob der tauber

0 98 61 34 68

Hotel-Kingdentor @t-online.de

2nd choice –

68Euro/2 persons w/bkfst

Is nicer but more money

Germany: Munich

Hotel Isartor

Baaderstrasse 2-4

80469 Munchen’(089) 21 63 34-0

hotel-isartor@t-online.de

Germany, Munich

Seibel’s Park Hotel (4 * ha!)

Maria-Eich-Strasse 32

81243 Munich

0 89/82 99 52-0

Seibels-Park-Hotel@t.online.de

www.seibel-hotels-munich.de

or their sister hotel (3*)

Theresienhohe 9

80339 Munchen

0 89/ 5 40 14 20

Hotel-Seibel@t-online.de

or their pension

Im Herzen der Stadt – direct am

Viktuallenmarkt

Reichenbachstrasse 8

80469 Munchen

0 89/ 23 19 18-0 Pension.Seibel@t-online.de

Germany, Munich

Hotel-Pension Schmellergarten

Schmellerstrasse 20,

Munich D-80337

Phone 089 773157 (0049 89 7731570

089 764841///0049 89 764 841

E-mail milankuhn@web.de

Close to the subway which goes to Marienplatz

Germany, Munich

Hotel Markt – from Al Pabst

Mark Schwaben

Outskirts of Munich

Gashaus am Turn, Gschmeedmachergasse 2/4, Markt Schwaben 85570, is located on the north east side of Munich not far from the Metro station. tel 0812145219 We liked it because it was much less expensive than staying down in the city and we just parked our cars and used the Metro. This hotel is run by an English couple who are very accommodating. Their frustuck is a real "smorgasbord". Highly recommend this hotel Private parking, moderately priced. It is really a residential hotel, very modern, rooms with bath.

Germany, Berchtesgaden

Omnibus Stangassinger, Pension

Rossfeidstrasse 24

83471 Berchtesgaden

0 86 52 / 55 91

Germany, Berchtesgaden

Haus Bruner – from Al Pabst

Hanser Weg 16

83471Berchtesgaden

Frau Losel

08652/61886

We also stayed at Haus Brunner, Hanser Weg 16, Berchtesgaden, 82371. Tel 08652/61886. Fau Losel and her man own this place. It overlooks the train station way up on the hill across from the Tour Direction. Spectacular view of Berchtesgaden from the frustuck area and most rooms. Has only common toilet on each floor. Sink in room. Shower room is nice but is in the basement. The Losels are very nice and very accomodating. THIS ZIMMER IS VERY INEXPENSIVE!!! Highly recommend it...

Germany, Berchtesgaden

Lockstein Pension

Fam. Herder

Am Lockstein l

83471 Berchtesgaden

08652-2122

www.cafe-lockstein.de

The one we stayed in years ago with sharp turn at the barn, top of hill. Has been fully booked and difficult to get into lately.

Germany, Berlin

The best!

Mercure Accor Hotels

Berlin

Tempelhof Airport

Hermannstrasse 214/216

12049 Berlin

Tel 0 30 / 6 27 80-0

Email hl894@accor-hotels.com

www.mercure.com

Weekend rate 50 Euro per night/2 people

Reminded us of the Palmer House but not old. Near the S bahn Boddinstrasse exit, then just about a block walk around the corner

Germany, Bernkasteler-Keus

Hotel Bernkasteler Hof

0 65 31-32 18

HEBEGOSSE 1 - d-54470 Bernkastel-Keus/Mosel

7/12 (Gwen, Nancy, etc - Hotel Berkasteler

Hof Hebegasse 1- D 54470

Berkasteler – Keus/Mosel

Tel – 06531 – 3218

Germany, Frankfurt

Our suggestions are the Hotel Walldorf in Walldorf. About 6 miles from the Base and nice quiet family hotel.. Rates: single: 38.00 Euro and 48.00 for the double with breakfast. Transportation only with Taxi to there. Walldorf has a train connection into Frankfurt.

Another hotel right here at the Main Gate: STeigenberger Intercity Hotel, rates are Euro 77.00 without Breakfast. Good part is the free transportation to/from the Airport and from there direct connections to Trains.

Germany, Garmich – see Oberammergau

Germany, Garmisch-Partenkirchen

F + Elise Hahm

Badgasse 15

82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen

08821-2183

Don’t know which one

Germany, Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Gasthof Fraundorfer

Ludwigsrasse 24

82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen

0 88 21/ 92 70

fraundorfer@gaponline.de

www.gasthof-fraundorfer.de

Db 76, 80, 86 euro

Twin 76 Germany

Germany, Garmisch

Haus Lilly – from Al Pabst

22 Zugspitzstrasse

82467 Garmisch

Frau Maria Lechner

0882/52600

We stayed at Haus Lilly, 22 Zugspitzstrasse, Garmisch 82467. tel 0882/52600, Frau Maria Lechner owns the place and serves up a great frustuck! Rooms are with or without bath. Moderately priced. I highly recommend this place which is 500 yards from the walking street.

CZ: Prague

The Three Drums. http://www.pragueholiday.cz/drums.php

Hotel At The Three Drums

U Radnice street 10/14, Prague 1 - Old Town

phone: +420 226 201 910-13

e-mail: three-drums@prague-holiday.cz

<http://www.pragueholiday.cz/atthreedrums.html> If the link doesn't direct you, just click The Hotel At The Three Drums on the main page and it will come up...

The hotel was fine and I would stay there again because the location is

great! If this is your first trip to Prague, I would suggest staying in the

area near that square--so much happens there. It may cost more, but it is worth the convenience of being in the hub.

You really can't go wrong in Germany. Most people are very nice to American's, it's some of the younger crowd that haven't done shit that typically have a problem if at all. If you are traveling with a group you should be fine but just do normal travel abroad stuff, use your head.

Always have a dummy wallet with some BS cards and info to give if you are robbed. Keep your real wallet with money/cc, etc. in a separate location hard to reach and only small cash in a close pocket with the dummy wallet.

This. The dummy wallet is essential, and get some traveler's cheques if you can. Its a slight inconvenience to exchange them more often than cash, but if they're lost/stolen you're in the clear. When I traveled I just kept a small billfold on a long chain around my neck.

Be prepared to have a LOT of political discussions if you're friendly and open with locals. One of my fondest memories was playing chess with an old man in Austria in some platz (plaza) in the middle of Linz while he told me his experience in rebuilding after the war (in very broken English). That's what got me so interested in military history.