Fitness Gurus

mrhobbz

No, you don't need to do that. You need to do something like what I said in reply. His suggestions will work, but they're really very unnecessary. Balance your diet and add in a balanced workout, that's the key.

im just saying what works for me. i DO NOT advocate doing 2 a days everyday, thus that only spells burnout. If you do 2-3 days of 2 a days, that will work.

i suggest starting out doing simple crap like if you drink a pop a day, cut that out. drink water. you can still eat whatever greasy hamburger/fries, but down the line, try to eliminate that stuff too.

people who try to go cold turkey on their diet, and also go blast workouts with tons of volume/intensity often end up back where they were in the first place.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your g/f or partner is going to need something to grab on so I would leave them there.

But seriously, I have love handles but I can minimalize it by moving my underwear down a bit so that the elastic band doesn't "smoosh" it. And I'm 6'5" sitting at 160 pounds. All that is genetics, I swear.

:dumb:

i do want to ask this to people who lift: how many lifts are you doing in a typical workout? i get like 5-6 in, and i feel done. idk, just me. im thinking of trying to force myself to do more.

5-6 sets or 5-6 reps?

4 different lifts per body part with 3-4 working sets. You should always combine certain body parts together. Also 2-3 days of rest with light cardio is key. Accessory work is often over looked so have one day for minor stuff.

Anything more than that you are over training or undereating....... PERIOD!

no, thats just an example of 5 different lifts.

I think I'm misunderstanding your question.

Here's how I develop a basic strength building workout, but this can easily be applied to a bodybuilding type program.

Upper Body Training

As is our theme, stick to the basics. For your upper body bench press needs, there is no more basic exercise than the flat bench press. From there you need to supplement the training with additional exercises targeting more specific muscle groups.

Supplemental Chest - To build your upper and lower chest, be sure to incorporate both incline and decline bench presses, respectively. I tend to alternate these exercises to keep a continued "shock" going. Dumbbell bench presses (flat, incline, and decline variations) are a great exercise to use for stability and explosive chest strength. Finally I add in dumbbell flies to create a wider, stronger, chest. There really isn't a need add anything fancier than these bread and butter exercises for a powerful chest.

Supplemental Arms - This is often the point that I really see beginners wander away from the basics. Creating those beach muscles that everyone desires will come if you stick to the basics (am I being to repetitive yet?). I will break the arms down into two obvious categories, biceps and triceps.

 Biceps - I use fairly limited variation with bicep exercises. The basics simply work when it comes to targeting your biceps. I suggest alternating between standard dumbbell curls and barbell curls. The only significant departure I suggest from these is that you incorporate hammer curls to build your forearm strength.

 Triceps - Similarly to bicep exercises, I stick to a few central triceps exercises. Alternating between french curls, skull/nose crushers, and tricep dips which will give you a solid base for triceps strength. One of the few times I recommend using a machine is for tricep push downs. The only other exercise for triceps that I really suggest is, close grip bench presses. While the preceding exercises will build size and strength, the power really comes from close grip bench presses.

Shoulders and Upper Back - I often see beginning lifters ignore their shoulders and back. This can leave you severely lacking when it comes to useable strength and will definitely destroy hopes of that massive bench press. For shoulders I tend to suggest only one specific exercise, military presses. Moving on to the upper back I suggest alternating between lat pull downs (another machine) with a straight bar or v-grip and low rows.

Again, simplicity is the key. The suggested exercises are not the only ones that work. They are just simple, effective exercises that help you build a strong foundation before moving on to bigger more complicated maneuvers. The same simplicity will be found moving into the lower body exercises.

Lower Body Training

Squats and Deadlifts - These exercises are so significant that they definitely warrant their own category. Both will work every muscle in your body and are absolutely essential to a complete strength building program. I suggest alternating between the two in 4-6 week intervals.

Supplemental Legs - As if your legs can still move after a good squat workout, you will need to add supplemental leg exercises. I suggest rotating between leg presses and leg extensions/leg curls (both machine exercises). Finally I follow up working abductors and adductors using either stretches or machine exercises.

Supplemental Core - Your core is key to both upper body lifts and lower body. Although each major exercise (bench press, squats, deadlifts) will work your core if executed properly, you should add some supplemental exercises. This is one section where I often defer to other writers, like those in Men's Health. That being said, I will offer my short opinion on core exercises. Do not dedicate your entire workout to your core. Keep the core exercises to a sort period at the end of each workout to avoid over training. Remember, we are looking at strength more than beach muscles. That being said, I tend to stick to simple situps, reverse crunches, good mornings, and various stretches. As always, simplicity is the key.

Form - Form is everything in strength training. If you don't have proper form, you might as well not be doing the exercise. As much as I would like to continue to write on the subject of form, there simply isn't enough room in an article like this. The best way, in my opinion, to learn the proper form for an exercise is to not be afraid to ask for help when you're unsure. Whether this is in the form of asking a personal trainer for help or attending a workshop, you should take every opportunity to learn.

Okay, this is the part where I write a conclusion wishing everyone luck, right? I mean, I've already detailed the most basic exercises to use to build a great foundation. We're done, right? Unfortunately, no. You'll have to put up with me for just a little longer. The final piece is how to put all those exercises together.

Similarly to the subject of form, program design is a subject for another article (or book). With that said, it is important to address some of the basics to designing a program so you can get out and start hitting the weights with confidence.

I'm going to run counter to most highly publicized fitness programs in this brief section. Avoid overtraining at all costs. Remember, we're looking to build real strength, not to make our muscles cannibalize themselves. My design for avoiding the overtraining phenomenon is to keep workouts to one hour per day, at most, and three to four days per week. Finally be sure to allow your major muscle groups time to recover before training again (i.e., don't train bench presses on Monday then again on Wednesday).

And here's an example of an actual workout I did. This one is higher intensity as it blends powerlifting and bodybuilding

Monday - Heavy Bench/Arms

Flat Bench

1x10 - 135

5x6 - 65-70% 1RM

3x3 - 80% 1RM

1x? - 135 (burnout)

Triceps - Skull Crushers

5x10

Biceps - Hammer Curls/Barbell Curls (4 week split)

5x10

Abs - Weighted Crunches

4x25

Tuesday - Back/Shoulders

Military Press

1x10 - 135

5x8 - 60% 1RM

Front Plate Raises

4x10

Lat Pulldowns

4x10

Shrugs

4x20

Wednesday - Cardio

Thursday - Legs

Deadlift/Squat (4 week cycles per lift)

1x10 - 135

4x8 - 60-65% 1RM

3x3 - 80%+ 1RM

Leg Press

4x20

Abs - Reverse Crunches or Cable Crunches

4x20

I think I'm misunderstanding your question.

Here's how I develop a basic strength building workout, but this can easily be applied to a bodybuilding type program.

And here's an example of an actual workout I did. This one is higher intensity as it blends powerlifting and bodybuilding

Monday - Heavy Bench/Arms

Flat Bench

1x10 - 135

5x6 - 65-70% 1RM

3x3 - 80% 1RM

1x? - 135 (burnout)

Triceps - Skull Crushers

5x10

Biceps - Hammer Curls/Barbell Curls (4 week split)

5x10

Abs - Weighted Crunches

4x25

Tuesday - Back/Shoulders

Military Press

1x10 - 135

5x8 - 60% 1RM

Front Plate Raises

4x10

Lat Pulldowns

4x10

Shrugs

4x20

Wednesday - Cardio

Thursday - Legs

Deadlift/Squat (4 week cycles per lift)

1x10 - 135

4x8 - 60-65% 1RM

3x3 - 80%+ 1RM

Leg Press

4x20

Abs - Reverse Crunches or Cable Crunches

4x20

This is a great workout for someone wanting to increase maximal effort as over loading the CNS with several different rep ranges in one workout will do.

However i dont see it being usefull for people wanting overall fitness.

This is a great workout for someone wanting to increase maximal effort as over loading the CNS with several different rep ranges in one workout will do.

However i dont see it being usefull for people wanting overall fitness.

Not trying to address overall fitness, just giving an example of one of mine for the lifting question. I really just want it to be an example of how you can structure sets and reps for main and accessory lifts. Overall fitness is going to require a much more in depth approach than I ever did for my personal workouts.

Not trying to address overall fitness, just giving an example of one of mine for the lifting question. I really just want it to be an example of how you can structure sets and reps for main and accessory lifts. Overall fitness is going to require a much more in depth approach than I ever did for my personal workouts.

True, our goals were different than 90% of the U.S population.

I think accessory work needs its own day, 3-4 lifting days and 1 accessory day where your body isnt already beat up from training.

True, our goals were different than 90% of the U.S population.

I think accessory work needs its own day, 3-4 lifting days and 1 accessory day where your body isnt already beat up from training.

Everyone wants a big bench, bruh.:gabe:

I can see doing either way. I think my preference is based on handling the muscle group(s) in one day rather than stretching it out. Either way can definitely give the desired results if written properly.

If I were going to change that workout to fit an overall fitness routine, I would add some bodyweight exercises, more core exercises, and more cardio. Hell, I may even switch the days around and go beyond a 4 day workout.

How do y'all feel.about this split...

Monday deadlift/back

Deadlift/rack pull/dl+chains/deficit dl-- rotate variation weekly.

5x5

Stiff leg or hyperextension + weight

2x12-15

Recently I've been doing German volume training for lats/upper back and its been working well

10x10 50% 1sec neg, fast pos.

Finish with t-bar

2 sets 12-15

Tuesday shoulders/traps/tri's

OHP

3 sets 8-12 or 5x5

Dumbbell press

3x8-12 or 5x5 (opposite of ohp )

Dumbell shrugs

3-4 sets of 18-20 (would do 8-12 but Pshack only has 140s :()

front felt raise

45plate 2-3sets of 12-15

Reverse grip Tri on ez curl bar

3x8-12

Rope Tri

3x12-15

Wednesday rest/eat /recover

Thursday legs

Alternate between main exercise atg squat/box squat/hack squat/soley leg press

Today's workout...

Atg squat

4x8-12

Leg press (pyramid up)

3x8-12

Lunges

2x10

Leg extensions (quad/Ham)

3x15

Calf's

Donkey

3x15-20

Standing (weighted)

3x15-20

Friday chest/bi's if I workout biceps (fuck.bi's train tri's )

Alternate main lifts bench/block bench/bench+chains/floor press/dumbbell

Flat bench

5x5

Inclined dumbbell

3x8-12

Weighted dips

Bw +90 2x8-12

Upper chest fly on cable

3x12-15

Hammer curl

3x12

Ez barl curl (would do straight but left wrist is phuked)

3x12-15

Burnout on pushups

1xbw

Saturday if I lift so far 50% average

Ab's /plyometerics

Misc ab b/s

Box/vertical jumps

5x10

Any insight is helpful.

Carb intake is around 250-270 yea I know its low

Protein intake is arouns 290-320- only 84 from shakes 1 b4, 2servings immediately after workout, but still eat a steak or chicken breast within 1hr of workout.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously, I eat like a madman but nothing stays on. I suspect it's part of my genetic disorder.

you eat like a little girl, you just think you eat a lot but you dont.

eat an extra two triple baconators a day on top of what you normally eat and lift heavy and you will put on some good muscle mass.

here is a real workout/split

saturday 7/30/11 - legs

squats

235x3

325x3

put on centurion straps down

415x3

465x2

505x2

555x1

straps up

600x1

650x1

sunday 7/31/11 shirted bench

benchpress

135x5

225x5

315x3

365x2

405x1

put on df6

455x1 3board

495x1 2board

545x1 1board

585x1

600xfail

600x1

8/2/11 - Legs lower back

squats

135x10

225x10

315x10

385x10

hamstring curls

160x10

170x10

180x10

190x10

deadlifts

315x3 doh

405x3

455x3

500x2

550x1

wednesday, 8/3/11 - chest, back, calves, abs

benchpress

135x10

225x10

315x10

340x10

375x2P

405x2P

435x1P

lat pull downs

210x10

220x10

230x10

240x10

light calves

light abs.

here is a real workout/split

eh, too much volume. You would be alot stronger if you did less. Also you are training from equipped lifting, sorry man that doesnt work for anything else.

Although it is a good split, it only works for equipped lifters.

eh, too much volume. You would be alot stronger if you did less. Also you are training from equipped lifting, sorry man that doesnt work for anything else.

Although it is a good split, it only works for equipped lifters.

I agree, too much volume. I wouldn't like it for equipped either.

Josh, I'll look at yours in a little while.

I agree, too much volume. I wouldn't like it for equipped either.

Josh, I'll look at yours in a little while.

my body responds well to volume, though this is not a lot of volume not many working sets, just a bit of warm up to get me to the bigger weights,

as the weight gets heavier and i get closer to my meet my volume goes down a bit depending on what my body can take.

it has been working well, getting stronger and hitting my lifts and should hit my goal of a 1900lb total for the pro/am

my body responds well to volume, though this is not a lot of volume not many working sets, just a bit of warm up to get me to the bigger weights,

as the weight gets heavier and i get closer to my meet my volume goes down a bit depending on what my body can take.

it has been working well, getting stronger and hitting my lifts and should hit my goal of a 1900lb total for the pro/am

Still too much volume for significant strength gains.

Here's how my typical bench warmup went on heavy days:

Warmup

1x10 - 135

1x10 - 225

1x5 - 315

Working Sets

1x3 - 405

1x1 - 455

1x1 - 495

Burnout

1x? - 135 or 225

I let my accessory work and light/speed bench day handle the majority of the volume. Accessories would include boards, declines, etc...

Still too much volume for significant strength gains.

Here's how my typical bench warmup went on heavy days:

Warmup

1x10 - 135

1x10 - 225

1x5 - 315

Working Sets

1x3 - 405

1x1 - 455

1x1 - 495

Burnout

1x? - 135 or 225

I let my accessory work and light/speed bench day handle the majority of the volume. Accessories would include boards, declines, etc...

if you account that i am benching 100lbs more in my workout then yours there is not much difference.

my warm up sets are not much effort for me and my working sets in my shirts are all singles. my muscles arent tired at the end of my shirt day just my CNS

all this talk from you but i'm crushing your numbers :p

if you account that i am benching 100lbs more in my workout then yours there is not much difference.

my warm up sets are not much effort for me and my working sets in my shirts are all singles. my muscles arent tired at the end of my shirt day just my CNS

all this talk from you but i'm crushing your numbers :p

Yeah, you crushed my numbers from when I was 17 or 18, good job. :dumb:

Effort is not volume. But, I'll bite on your weight comparison. Here you go, these are numbers from a junior lifter I was training.:gabe:

Warmup

1x10 - 135

1x10 - 225

1x10 - 315

1x5 - 405

1x5 - 495

Working Sets

1x3 - 600+

1x1 - 700+

1x1 - 800+

Yeah, you crushed my numbers from when I was 17 or 18, good job. :dumb:

Effort is not volume. But, I'll bite on your weight comparison. Here you go, these are numbers from a junior lifter I was training.:gabe:

Warmup

1x10 - 135

1x10 - 225

1x10 - 315

1x5 - 405

1x5 - 495

Working Sets

1x3 - 600+

1x1 - 700+

1x1 - 800+

Your brother?