blah

Dweezel

So I just drove almost 6 hours to Washington DC to do a start up on this piece of equipment we rented out and the guy already rented it before, knows how to use it, and didn't really want to give me the time of day. I pulled in at noon, waited till 1 when he showed up, talked with him for about 15 minutes and then got blown off. Now I'm sitting in my hotel waiting for my sister who lives in Maryland to get off work, I'm gonna take her out to dinner, her birthday is Wed, so at least it's not a total loss.

Then tomorrow I get to drive up to Philly (I friggin love Philly! :guitar: ) and do a service call on another piece, scarf down some cheese steaks till I puke, then drive home. I love company paid vacations :D

Build, fabricate, and do personnel training (and very rarely service, there's another guy who does those, if it's a large repair job, it comes into the shop) on this junk.

www.arsrecycling.com

no, really it's not junk, the little recyclers are $250k and the biggies are over $500k, we're the only company in the world EPA approved to reclaim lead contaminated blasting media. I travel all over the country (well not really the plains areas, not too many bridges or ship yards there, did do a water tower in KS though. That was boring) to train people when the buy or lease a recycler. the Dust collectors are pretty simple, and we sell quite a bit more of those per year than the Recyclers.

I actually worked with our sister company CorCon (Corrective Construction) operating the equipment for a little over 18 months while we repainted the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly :D Spent allot of time there, big reason why I'm so fond of the city.

Edited by Dweezel

nothing formal, lets just say anything mechanical to me is a easy as breathing is to most people. I've got an inherent knack to just be able to conceptualize and break things down. I started out laboring there, then welder, then fabricator/fitter. I had the mechanical aspect of the machine down after a few weeks, After a year or so I had the electrical system down pat from wiring them, and I didn't know what little things on the prints meant, that bothered me, so I taught myself how to read electrical blueprints. I started answering allot of the questions that people were asking, thankfully my employer appreciates me and realizes I've got some potential, I started out doing service on the equipment, then I went out with the shop foreman who used to do the training, after about 5-6 of those he quit coming and here I am. I've also done allot of the blue prints for them in the office. I took drafting in HS and used AutoCAD LT, got online and brushed up on what I couldn't remember, and did layouts for about a year (after I broke my collarbone in OCT of '07), now I'm back out in the shop doing fab work and welding thank god. I can't stand to be cramped up in an office sitting behind a desk all day, Thats why I dropped out of collage, was working on an IT degree, after about a year and a half of that I couldn't take it any more.

I also drew up and brought to light our 'wireless blasting system'. Working in Philly our biggest problem was crossed, shorted and cut wires. Every blaster, up to 6, has to have a wire from the machine, to his trigger, sometimes up to 2000' of wire, times 6 guys, at about $1.20 a foot, thats allot of money and problems. As soon as I got back to ARS from Philly, I started working on that with a top end wireless controller manufacturer, they do wireless remotes for cranes, locomotives and allot of other industrial applications. We're past the prototypes, and onto our 4th full production unit. We out source the control and encoding/decoding to them, and when they get in I wire the box and put a pigtail and quick connect plug on it so they can hook it up to any of our machines, and then just run 20' of wire from the box to the blasters control on his nozzle and your in business. only about 20' of wire per blaster, and NO tracking down wiring problems.

My father also always told me there's no such thing as you can't, only you won't. lots of truth to that.

Edited by Dweezel