PC problems

Skinner

OK, sister-in-laws PC was chucked full of viruses. Did a format and reinstall on the PC to clear that up. Shut the PC down and boot it back up and is getting "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". If I do a ctrl+alt+del it will reboot and boot into windows. I asked her about this and she said "Oh, it's been doing that for a awhile now". Figured master boot record is f'ed up googled it and that seems to be the conciseness google but this is on a laptop with windows 7 and I don't have any windows 7 to do a repair. Any ideas on how to correct it or any tools I grab off the web to maybe fix it.

press F2 while its at the bios splash screen. Go to boot settings or something similar.

check to make sure that the HDD is set to be the #1 boot device.

exit & save

thats a good start.

for to mention I did that already bios sees the drive and it is the first boot device.

The boot.ini may be gone from Windows 7, but msconfig is still there and allows you to modify the Windows 7 boot options. So give it a try before you introduce a boot manager, it's a kis moment. Why only one 's'? Because if you're smart enough to ask a question, you're not stupid.

Cheers

seems straightforward.

1)start

2)run

3)msconfig >hit enter

4)config in boot tab

should look like: minus the permanent setting

http://www.fanhow.com/images/thumb/e/ef/Delete_unused_boot_menu_entries_in_Windows_7_03.jpg/540px-Delete_unused_boot_menu_entries_in_Windows_7_03.jpg

this is somewhat irrelevant, but make sure to mention to her that when, in 6 months after installing 26 more virus toolbars and malware, that it wasn't you "screwing with her computer" that messed it up. she'll inevitably come to that conclusion on her own.

this is somewhat irrelevant, but make sure to mention to her that when, in 6 months after installing 26 more virus toolbars and malware, that it wasn't you "screwing with her computer" that messed it up. she'll inevitably come to that conclusion on her own.

oh she knows she fucked it up :)