Galaxy Nexus

Gergwheel1647545492

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one yesterday at 9:00 am, Love the phone it's my first smart phone. So what is ( rooted ) and cm9 is this something i should do?

How do you do it and whats the risk?

Thanks

If this is your first smart phone just get use to it for a few months until some newbie proof root and mod methods are released. Rooting just gives admin rights to tweak the base phone system settings. CM9 = Cyanogen Mod 9 (9 for Ice Cream Sandwhich OS). A team of extreme nerds who live their lives building a custom fully tweakable "OS" for a phone. For a newbie I would suggest reading the Droid forum or Droid Life, tons of new person info :) Just avoid asking those questions on XDA :p

I bought one yesterday at 9:00 am, Love the phone it's my first smart phone. So what is ( rooted ) and cm9 is this something i should do?

How do you do it and whats the risk?

Thanks

If this is your first smart phone just get use to it for a few months until some newbie proof root and mod methods are released. Rooting just gives admin rights to tweak the base phone system settings. CM9 = Cyanogen Mod 9 (9 for Ice Cream Sandwhich OS). A team of extreme nerds who live their lives building a custom fully tweakable "OS" for a phone. For a newbie I would suggest reading the Droid forum or Droid Life, tons of new person info :) Just avoid asking those questions on XDA :p

What he said. Get used to it first. You will need to install the android sdk so that you can have access to adb and fastboot. The risks are pretty low with this phone since it was pretty much made to be rooted. The bootloader is unlocked with a simple command, it can be re-lock with another command. Google released the stock images...so you can always go back to how it was.

Got mine yesterday as well.

I'm running Android Revolution 2.1

LOVE THIS PHONE.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gu1wlAwdunU/TGIb7VMA-tI/AAAAAAAAA9k/HDCHIsOAn0k/s400/free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

What he said. Get used to it first. You will need to install the android sdk so that you can have access to adb and fastboot. The risks are pretty low with this phone since it was pretty much made to be rooted. The bootloader is unlocked with a simple command, it can be re-lock with another command. Google released the stock images...so you can always go back to how it was.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gu1wlAwdunU/TGIb7VMA-tI/AAAAAAAAA9k/HDCHIsOAn0k/s400/free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

I gotta say, having a phone that hasn't been locked down by Nazi's is uber nice.

• 3 weeks later...
How's everyones battery life? So far mine seems a bit rough. Also, any way to get the normal messaging keyboard features on the browser? Auto-correct and all that jazz?

Edit: it also seems that my battery is getting pretty warm. I've read that these seem to be fairly common issues. Just wondering if there's a way to fix it or if that's just how it is.

Edit: it also seems that my battery is getting pretty warm. I've read that these seem to be fairly common issues. Just wondering if there's a way to fix it or if that's just how it is.

Check the battery stats and see whats sucking up the juice. Android OS would be my guess.

The best thing you can do for that phone is root then rom it. There are quite a few REALLY good roms out right now with great kernels.

My best so far was 2 1/2 days on the extended battery. Shits like :fuckyeah:

Check the battery stats and see whats sucking up the juice. Android OS would be my guess.

The best thing you can do for that phone is root then rom it. There are quite a few REALLY good roms out right now with great kernels.

My best so far was 2 1/2 days on the extended battery. Shits like :fuckyeah:

Screen and Android OS haha. It's fine when I don't mess with it. I took it off the charger at like 12:30 today and by 4:30ish it was still at like 85%, and I had used it a bit. However, if I use it for any sustained amount of time it loses charge really really fast.

Okay, I'm rooted and ROM'd now. Again, the battery will last forever I'd the phone is just sitting there. That's not the case though if I'm on the internet or watching a video, which I can deal with because I've usually got a charger. The thing that does worry me is that the battery gets extremely hot, currently at 113°f. Is this normal?

• 3 months later...
It is outdated already? spec wise etc?

Far from it. Still the only phone officially running 4.0.4. Hardware is still current, and in some cases ahead of the curve. Engadget recently had a segment about how it's one of the best phones ever, if not THE best, even 4 months later.