The real difference between Slip On and Full?

FocusDave01

Stock systems are tuned for emissions and reasonable performance. Full systems cost more because they're tuned and designed to make the most performance. Change one thing in a header design and you'll change any number of characteristics. Slipons do nothing more than add some noise to your ride. They may give you a scant amout of ponies (maybe 1-6), but not like a full system which would be well into the teens.

Saves your moneys for a proper setup and you'll be rewarded for your patients.

Stock systems are tuned for emissions and reasonable performance. Full systems cost more because they're tuned and designed to make the most performance. Change one thing in a header design and you'll change any number of characteristics. Slipons do nothing more than add some noise to your ride. They may give you a scant amout of ponies (maybe 1-6), but not like a full system which would be well into the teens.

A full exhaust system is meaningless if you don't tune it properly. I don't know of any that come tuned. In fact...after you buy a full system...you still need to allow more air flow and adjust the fuel with the Power Commander or something else.

A full exhaust system is meaningless if you don't tune it properly. I don't know of any that come tuned. In fact...after you buy a full system...you still need to allow more air flow and adjust the fuel with the Power Commander or something else.

You have to adjust the fuel map w/ PCIII because it's set for factory pipes. Not for high performance pipes. That's not a bad thing

You have to adjust the fuel map w/ PCIII because it's set for factory pipes. Not for high performance pipes. That's not a bad thing

I agree. let's remember what debate is...

OEM headers vs. Aftermarkets.

Cat converters, exhaust cans, PCIII, etc aren't in the debate.

Now, I'm going to say that aftermarkets can make a difference with weight. They can probably make a difference in air flow if they have different bends in them.

They can probably make a difference in air flow with drag resistance...maybe the insides are smoother than stock.

However I cant agree that if they're bigger in diameter you'll notice a gain...simply because hole is the same as OEM at the mount point. I feel it's like a chain...chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If there's a small diameter...you can still only fit so much air through a small hole...regardless of the size of the pipe AFTER the small hole.

What I should have said is they are tuned when they are designed. Meaning that the companies making the pipes are working with the fuel delivery and dynoing to validate the results of the pipes design.

But you and I are on the same page.

this is exactly what i was thinking ill jsut be patient and then save my money for the whole setup tuning and all now where does air filter fit into this?

I agree. let's remember what debate is...

OEM headers vs. Aftermarkets.

Cat converters, exhaust cans, PCIII, etc aren't in the debate.

Now, I'm going to say that aftermarkets can make a difference with weight. They can probably make a difference in air flow if they have different bends in them.

They can probably make a difference in air flow with drag resistance...maybe the insides are smoother than stock.

However I cant agree that if they're bigger in diameter you'll notice a gain...simply because hole is the same as OEM at the mount point. I feel it's like a chain...chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If there's a small diameter...you can still only fit so much air through a small hole...regardless of the size of the pipe AFTER the small hole.

There are many other things like exhaust scavaging and what not to concider in aftermarket pipes which most OEM's don't worry about. Tapered headers are still used today by some aftermarket pipe manufacturers. So I think your thoughts are not entirely accurate.

this is exactly what i was thinking ill jsut be patient and then save my money for the whole setup tuning and all now where does air filter fit into this?

It simply allows for better air flow into the combustion chamber. If you make the bike better breathing on the exhaust side it makes sense to let it breathe better on the intake side. Some OE filters tend to flow just as well as aftermarket so you may or may not need to change the air filter.

It simply allows for better air flow into the combustion chamber. If you make the bike better breathing on the exhaust side it makes sense to let it breathe better on the intake side. Some OE filters tend to flow just as well as aftermarket so you may or may not need to change the air filter.

yeah that was what confused me. some say to replace some say to not so thats why i asked. i mean on a car indeed it makes sense. car wise i would always do header, exhaust and intake all at once.

Ha, I started writing a really long thing here, but forget it.

Basically exhaust design is way more complicated than what it appears to be.

It involves every portion of the flow path, from in to out.

Major changes require other major changes to match.

It will vary depending on the results desired.

Best bet is to find a setup that worked for some one else, and copy it.

And the stock exhaust on most motorcycles is extremely well designed for general use.

APCH8R... it amazes me that someone who works at a bike shop knows so little about bikes.... WOW

Okay, like to point out where I am so wrong? So you are saying there is no difference between slip-ons and full systems are far as power?

Headers are very important for a race bike. No one will ever need the extra HP for the street that the headers "can"give. The way aftermarket headers are bent is deff better than stock because the remain the exact same diameter thru the bend. If you dont ever plan on racing dont bother with the headers because you will never feel or notice it. Every bike is diff and the new ones Suck because of the cats so a header may help with them. I always put full systems on my bikes,but i always buy used and normaly can get a full system for the same price as a slip on.