AEM dyno shaft dynometer

bdoz

It's a very interesting concept. I'll be interested to see if they're actually any good.

This.

Read about these about a week ago. Been wondering how well they'd work. It'll only be a matter of time before those of us who can't afford to risk, find out.

Its just a rotational strain gauge and a digital encoder wheel. It measures torque with the strain gauge and converts it to HP. I built one of these for a design project using labview and an industrial rotational strain gauge used on fracking pumps. Total cost was around $150. The head of the ME department wanted to use it for an engine dyno for the thermodynamics class here at UD. I designed and CNC'd a flange to go on their 350 crate motor we had set up in a jig already. Designed and programmed the controls for the engine as well as had sensors (coolant temp, RPM, EGT in every runner, and also a mass air meter as well as a flow meter for the fuel [to calculate BSFC to calculate HP and compare]). After all the work was completed at the end of my freshman year, the engine dyno was ready to operate, worked all summer, came back to school to find they had torn down the ME building and scrapped the dyno. Son's of bitches!

They can be durable if you design that in mind. We had alot of problems with noise in the signals so we had to end up doing an mean measurement of each signal at a sampling rate of 1kHz. Their pricing for these is actually very good if the rotational strain gauge is up to par. I remember calling the company about the fracking pump strain gauge and they told me it was 15k retail. I almost shit my pants. My adviser called them and they worked something out along the lines of a mutual donation.