Tebow vs. Newton

NEORedLS1

Me and a buddy got in this arguement today, who is the better QB, Tim Tebow or Cam Newton? Whats everyone's thought on this?

My arguement that was Newton is the better QB, Tebow knows how to win, but Newton is a much more effective QB. I argued with this:

Passing Attempts: Newton 10th, Tebow 34th

Completions: Newton 11th, Tebow 37th

Completion %: Newton 14th, Tebow not even listed in top 35.

Yardage: Newton 7th, Tebow 38th

Passing TDs: Newton has 12, Tebow 8

Rushing TDs: Newton has 10, Tebow 3

Total TDs: Newton has 22, Tebow has 11

INTs: Newton has 14 (Vick, Rivers, Stafford, Brees within two), Tebow has 1

If we are gonna base it on wins, then I guess we can take a look at these as well:

Newton has been sacked 26 times to Tebow's 16

Denver has 4 defensive TDs, Carolina has 1

Denver is 18th in total yds allowed, Carolina is 22nd

I think Newton could win if you swapped him onto the Broncos IMO. Whats everyone think?

Newton got paid more in college...

I won't cast a vote because mine is biased as I am a huge fan of Tebow and absolutely hate sCam Newton.

BTW whos the better QB, Dan Marino or Trent Dilfer?

Dilfer has a SB ring as a starter, Marino doesn't....see how numbers sometime don't mean jack shit ;)

Tim Tebow is one of the worst QB's I have ever seen in the NFL.

To be more specific he reminds me of Braxton Miller but in the NFL. A great athlete with a lot of room to grow. A passion to win by any means necessary.. but not the kind of QB that can last long term in the NFL without a lot of practice. In 5 years he will either be one of the best or a forgotten name.

Tim Tebow is one of the worst QB's I have ever seen in the NFL.

Haha and yet he is 6-1 as a starter, he may not be the prettiest thrower or whatever, but he gets the job done. You know damn well if Denver is within 6-7 points (maybe even 8) in the 4th quarter, that odds are they will win the game simply because that kid shows up when it counts.

I can name some other qbs that were a lot worse looking early in their careers. Alex Smith ring a bell? He is now the qb on a 10-2 San Fran team lol. Tebow may never be an all pro, hell he may never throw for more then 2k yards in a season, he will be a winner in the league though in my opinion, simply because he has the "it" factor that gets tossed around freely.

Haha and yet he is 6-1 as a starter, he may not be the prettiest thrower or whatever, but he gets the job done. You know damn well if Denver is within 6-7 points (maybe even 8) in the 4th quarter, that odds are they will win the game simply because that kid shows up when it counts.

I can name some other qbs that were a lot worse looking early in their careers. Alex Smith ring a bell? He is now the qb on a 10-2 San Fran team lol. Tebow may never be an all pro, hell he may never throw for more then 2k yards in a season, he will be a winner in the league though in my opinion, simply because he has the "it" factor that gets tossed around freely.

The few games I saw it looked like his team had to bust their butts to keep them in the game long enough for him to work his magic. Being perfect for 2 drives a game only works when you have a great supporting cast. He's lucky to be on the Bronco's. Any other team outside of maybe the ravens and he wouldnt have the wins to justify his lack of technique. It just hurts to watch, then it turn into wow, did he just do that... and you know at some point in the game hes going to do something to win. As a rookie its hard to say whats going to happen in a few years, but at this time he makes me cringe for about 3 quarters of the game. Its like watching a high school freshman at times.

The truth is that opinions dont matter... being 6-1 is all that matters.

What weapons does Tebow have? They have no WR's that you could name if you didn't watch a game of theirs. You think Carolina and instantly Steve Smith comes to mind. Denvers defense was the same defense that was getting worked while going 1-4!

The first 5 games they lose 4 of them to the likes of Oakland, Tennesee, Green Bay (i'll give ya that one lol) and San Diego. They then got shredded 2 weeks later against Detroit. After that they have ran off 5 straight wins in huge part to Tebow's come from behind tactics.

I do agree that at times its a "omg what is he doing" type deal, but it quickly goes to a "holy shit he just pulled a rabbit out of his ass". You know who has to be the most pissed about this streak, John Elway himself lol. He hates Tebow, but now he's in a situation where the fans absolutely love Tim, the teams playing much better and they are in 1st place in their division lmfao!!

The next 4 games for them will be a challenge and will show if Tebow is real or a fluke. They have Chicago (will prob win that one), New England (prob a loss), Buffalo (depends on which Bills team shows up) and close out with Kansas City (should win that). If they win 3 of those, that puts them at 10-6 and in the playoffs, at week 5 this team was thinking top 5 draft pick lol

BTW Denvers defense is 16th overall, Carolina is 22nd, thats not a real huge difference.

Denver- 3908 yards given up

Carolina- 4071

Denver- 355 yards per game given up

Carolina 370

Denver 23.7 points per game given up

Carolina 27

Now flip that around and look at ppg on offense vs the 2

Denver- 26th overall offense

Carolina- 5th overall offense

Denver- 20.1 ppg

Carolina- 22.9

I dislike Newton and Tebow, I think both are highly overrated and neither are capable NFL quarterbacks. However, Tebow is a winner plain and simple, the first 3 quarters of the game he is showing why he should not be an NFL quarterback, then out of no where he is playing like a man possessed, I don't know what to make of it, but he is a winner. Newton on the other hand will not amount to much unless the Panthers build something around him, I just don't see that happening though, he won't drift off to obscurity like Jamarcus Russell but won't accomplish anything of importance after the novelty of his rookie season is over.

I dislike Newton and Tebow, I think both are highly overrated and neither are capable NFL quarterbacks.

I thought he was overated myself. Then after about week 6 I realized the guy just has talent. Once the game slows down a little more for him and he controls the interceptions he'll be good to go. I dont even like the guy but skill is skill.

Look at the stats NEORedLS1 posted

7th in the league in passing yards

18th for his QB rating.

11th completions

14th percentage

As a rookie those numbers are great! Hes ahead of a lot more tenured people that are on winning teams. He just needs some support. Being on a bad team and shining is not easy.

On the other hand I think Tebow is underrated. Even I called him the worst QB ever.. but he somehow wins. We get hung up on stats but its a team game. Tim works better within his team than Cam does. Remember the year Worthlessburger won the superbowl... not the best QB, but the best for his team.

You take Tim Tebow off the Florida teams he played on and they are not a very good team. You take him off the Broncos and well, they are a 1-4 team lol.

sCam is a physical freak much like Terelle Pryor, however his off the field antics and ego are what I dislike the most about him. That and the fact that all I heard last year was how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread

Tebow was very accurate in the game today, and made some big time throws. He looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback. As time goes on I think he will be a more consistent passer, and will learn a lot more as far as reading defenses and going through his progressions, finding the hot read against the blitz and getting rid of the ball quick, and all that stuff that goes along with being an NFL quarterback. He has a lot of talent and a great attitude, and works as hard as anyone. All he needs is a coaching staff that believes in him. His mechanics might hold him back, but he still has the potential to become a decent passer and win a lot of games.

I'll be honest, I am very surprised that Newton is playing as good as he is. He struck me as very immature and phony, and a guy whose skills would not translate to the NFL. I figured he was a project along the same lines as Tebow, but he has done a really good job for a rookie QB adjusting to the pro game. I don't know if he will be a great player or not, but he's off to a good start.

Eric Decker has dropped a bunch of balls this year including a couple wide open bombs that would've been TD's. You give Tebow a stud WR and then see what he can do. They seem to have the running game in tact, just need to surround him with some more weapons and I really think he could be successful. I mean hell he did win 2 national titles and score over 60 tds in the SEC, and we all know that the SEC is better then half of the NFL lmfao

No time to read any other post but the OP's, so:

My gf and I were just talking about this last night. I think Tebow is being overhyped as does she. Howie Long was the only one who seems to agree with us. lol

Big deal if Denver won again last night. They're squeaking by everytime. What'd they have last night at the half? Less than 50yds? How many completions did he have total? Like 10? Im not saying he's not a good qb, but he's not "God's gift" like everyone's behaving. ;)

Your argument is essentially about who is the 2nd best rookie QB in the league, because for my money the only rookie QB worth talking about is the Ginger Ninja, Andy Dalton. Nobody has done more with less than he, and he's got a proven failure of a front office in Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. He's got a good RB that can't stay out of trouble, no real receivers to speak of other than Green (though Caldwell is a great blocker), and he is performing extremely well while not being talked about at all.

<---Not a Bungles fan, but talking about Tebow and Newton is silly because neither is going to be that good once opponents get some film on them. Dalton has the skills necessary to succeed in the long run.

But to settle your argument, Tebow is not playing "big boy" football. Games where he's passing 8 times or 9 times going into the 4th quarter is ridiculous. That's why Fox and Elway won't stand behind him yet, they know how to run professional teams and this is a patchwork Denver Broncos. If the D wasn't stepping up, Tebow would be getting sacked a lot more often.

Newton has the support of (it kills me to say this) 2 great TEs, which are traditionally a rookie QB's best friend, in Olsen and Shockey, not to mention a much more balanced game. My vote goes to him.

So its now Tebows fault that his offensive coordinator/headcoach (whoever is in charge of play calling), is only calling passing plays about 15 times a game? I would be more apt to agree with you if Tebow was simply taking the snap, dropping back and instantly running, rather then throwing. That simply isnt the case here, yesterday he threw 2 amazing passes, 1 was dropped (would've been a TD) and the other was ruled out of bounds due to players foot being on the white line. You give him those 2 completions and suddenly his stat line is 12 for 15 with 275 yards and 3TDs.

Newton started the year playing out of his mind, but has come down to reality. If you look at the last 3 games for Tebow he has gotten progressivley better! IDC who they are playing, every team in the NFL is loaded with talent, if they weren't they wouldnt be in the league.

Heres the big stat that stands out to me, TURNOVERS!!

Tebow- 4

Newton- 17!!!!

Tebow puts his team in position to win by not turning the ball over and coming through in the 4th quarter. Newton puts his team in position to lose by air mailing INT's

So its now Tebows fault that his offensive coordinator/headcoach (whoever is in charge of play calling), is only calling passing plays about 15 times a game? I would be more apt to agree with you if Tebow was simply taking the snap, dropping back and instantly running, rather then throwing. That simply isnt the case here, yesterday he threw 2 amazing passes, 1 was dropped (would've been a TD) and the other was ruled out of bounds due to players foot being on the white line. You give him those 2 completions and suddenly his stat line is 12 for 15 with 275 yards and 3TDs.

Newton started the year playing out of his mind, but has come down to reality. If you look at the last 3 games for Tebow he has gotten progressivley better! IDC who they are playing, every team in the NFL is loaded with talent, if they weren't they wouldnt be in the league.

Heres the big stat that stands out to me, TURNOVERS!!

Tebow- 4

Newton- 17!!!!

Tebow puts his team in position to win by not turning the ball over and coming through in the 4th quarter. Newton puts his team in position to lose by air mailing INT's

When Tebow throws the ball as often as Newton you can accurately compare statistics. Career-wise, Cam Newton has thrown roughly 3 times as many passes as Tebow. Even with that, Tebow completes only 48% of his passes, while Newton completes 60%. Meanwhile, Tebow has rushed 25 more times than Newton yet has 4 fewer rushing TDs.

Cam has started 5 more games this year then Tebow! Again the only thing that matters is wins, Tebow has 6 of them as a starter in 7 games, Newton has 4 /debate lol

BTW sCam has 100 rushes, Tebow has 82...so where are you getting your numbers?

Tebow- 468yds 3 TDs, 5.7 average

Newton- 518yds 13 TDs, 5.2 average

And again Tebow has played in 5 less games then Newton.

We shall come back to this argument/debate in 5 years to see where each of these guys are at in their careers. I think Tebow will be Alex Smith like (leading team to playoffs without huge numbers) and Newton will be Vince Young like (backup)

One more edit simply because I can, where do people get the whole Tebow can't throw the ball thing from? Did anyone watch him vs Cincy in his final college game? He absolutely went HAM on them. Plus look at his college stats, over 65% career completion and 9k yards