Gauging Interest: 3D Parts Printing

unfunnyryan

I'm on the verge of buying a 3D printer. It's like a CNC machine but instead of cutting away material it poops ABS plastic. If I bought one of these, how many of you would pay to get some things made? I'd keep prices pretty reasonable compared to most others too.

Some things I could easily make

• Bodies/Shells/Wheels for RC Cars
  • Gauge pods
  • various car interior parts
  • Custom fit project enclosures
  • All kinds of mounts

And anything else really... Including AR-15 receivers, I'm just not legally allowed to sell them to you :p

Oh, and I'm guessing I'd have to pay the sponser fee? No problem with that. Not trying to run a business here but trying to make some of the money back on my investment

Are you looking at the filament layering 3d printer like a Dimension?

I am going with a DIY kit, probably going with a RepRap but I may end up with a makerbot just for the larger support community. If I end up needing something better, I'll go big and design something myself.

arent these things like thousands of dollars? Do you need a drafter?

Nope, they aren't cheap but they are affordable for what they do. I'm sticking to pretty simple stuff right now so no need for a drafter quite yet.

I do 3D modelling, Inventor, Catia, Pro-E, Solidworks, Solid Edge. Have done some pretty complex stuff in the past (Cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, etc).

If you dont already have access to a printer I'll do it for you :)

Guest GMoney

We have parts created in them all the time. The ABS ones are not nearly strong enough to create gun parts or RC car wheels.

Is this rerrap different?

We have parts created in them all the time. The ABS ones are not nearly strong enough to create gun parts or RC car wheels.

Is this rerrap different?

ya, as an engineer i do this stuff a lot, my old place had one, and have purchased these things from prototype shops that have these.

like gmoney is saying these aren't strong, and can break easily.

i made a trim piece for my car once to hole an mp3 controller, but for anything that gets stressed it wont hold up, also most of these parts get brittle over time.