Rim Polishing

SteveChase

I have a 2008 ZX6R with black rims. I'm considering polishing the outer lips. While it looks easy enough to do yourself, I'd trust someone with a proven track record to make them look good. Like anything if you do something more often than others, you know tricks of the trade to make them look better and a higher shine.

I think I saw some posts about powdercoating and side notes that certain places also polish.

What kind of rates?

If you polish in the Columbus area, hit me up.

Thanks,

Steve

Here's a rim polishing DIY I've done on another site, using my wife bike.

OK folks, I know there's a few here that don't like the bling factor but for those who would like to add a little bling. My simple RIM polishing DIY.

Another intimidating but simple mod to do. The only equipment required is a nylon brush,3m rubbing compound,news paper, and a two cans of air craft paint stripper.

First, cover anything near the rim you don't want paint removed. The rim lip is a painted surface, while the center part of the rim is powdercoated, so don't worry about masking off or covering the center part with news paper or anything. If it would ease your mind go ahead, but trust me its going to take a acid bath dip to remove the covering on the center of the rim.

Shake the can of Aircraft stripper for a couple of min then apply by spraying on the rim lip. Let it set for a couple of min then remove the lifted paint with a rag or paper towel. Reapply til most of the paint is removed. The stubborn spot will be removed using more aircraft stripper and the nylon brush scrubbing the area that did not lift with a simple wipe from your rag or paper towel.

It should only take you 20 mins to polish a rim lip and 5 mins to rub it out to a nice shine using 3m rubbing compound for clear coat paint.

That's all Folks and enjoy.

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

Here's a rim polishing DIY I've done on another site, using my wife bike.

OK folks, I know there's a few here that don't like the bling factor but for those who would like to add a little bling. My simple RIM polishing DIY.

Another intimidating but simple mod to do. The only equipment required is a nylon brush,3m rubbing compound,news paper, and a two cans of air craft paint stripper.

First, cover anything near the rim you don't want paint removed. The rim lip is a painted surface, while the center part of the rim is powdercoated, so don't worry about masking off or covering the center part with news paper or anything. If it would ease your mind go ahead, but trust me its going to take a acid bath dip to remove the covering on the center of the rim.

Shake the can of Aircraft stripper for a couple of min then apply by spraying on the rim lip. Let it set for a couple of min then remove the lifted paint with a rag or paper towel. Reapply til most of the paint is removed. The stubborn spot will be removed using more aircraft stripper and the nylon brush scrubbing the area that did not lift with a simple wipe from your rag or paper towel.

It should only take you 20 mins to polish a rim lip and 5 mins to rub it out to a nice shine using 3m rubbing compound for clear coat paint.

That's all Folks and enjoy.

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

Your wheels look great!

Did you do this with the tire mounted?

on the same line of question, mine are already done but there are spots in the aluminum which looks like shit if you are up close what would be the best method to remove them and get the shine up a bit more..

I tried mothers and the powerball which helped but not enough for my liking

Rim polishing....Tricks of the trade?!?

I usually prefer when she uses her tongue in a swirling pattern....Counter clockwise if I'm up for somethin' different 04.gif

Edited by Fonzie

on the same line of question, mine are already done but there are spots in the aluminum which looks like shit if you are up close what would be the best method to remove them and get the shine up a bit more..

I tried mothers and the powerball which helped but not enough for my liking

Hard to suggest at the moment. Can you post a photo of the area you're having trouble with?