Is this normal?

FocusDave01

So as most of you know by now if you have read my introduction last week that the day after I bought my used 06 R6 I had to take it back to the dealership due to the front right fork seal leaking. And yes I did examine the bike thourghly. My guess the dealer either knew about it and wiped it off or didnt notice it. I for sure didnt notice it till I pull her in the drive way from the dealer. Anyway even tho its sold "as is" I took her back the next frigid morning and of course didnt give me a strait answer on whether they would fix it for free or not. (And of course 3 days later they say they will pay for half but not all of it since it is "as is") there lucky i didnt hurt myself and it would have been like buying a car "as is" and the brakes not working and going thru a stop sign. Anyway my question is the day I took her back to the dealer 3/19/09 they ordered all the needed parts to fix both sides. So now here I am almost 2 weeks later and they still have not gotten "all" the parts. I know it may not be the dealers fault but jeez this is ridiculus. This is my first "newer" bike so if this is how its gonna be to get it serviced man I pray nothing ever breaks on it again. Its been way to long in my opinion. Maybe Im wrong, but it jsut seems a little ridiculus. They say they have everything except the dust seals. When I was purchasing the bike the salesman informed me that the bike had been sitting in the back for 4-5 months cause the previous owner wasnt sure if he was gonna trade it in on some dirt bikes or not and eventually jsut said give me what you can for it and be done with it. Another thing I want to rant about is I asked for all the service history on what they did to it and they said they dont have them. Is that normal? But when I called today to ahve them check the bike over for me (air filter,plugs) the service guy said Ill have to check the "sheet" so obviously there is some records on what they did anyway sorry for the "wall of txt jsut frustrated...:rant:

sorry to hear about your problems, but i know i am going to be in a pickle if i ever sell my bike. i started doing and plan to do as much of the work as i can on my bike which does not leave a lot of paper work. the best advice i was given here was do your own work when you can and buy a service manual.

get a good set of Allen wrenches and a good socket set. also a torque wrench. if you can find them the bar type are cheaper than the click type and if its a craftsman the bars types have a lifetime warranty

hmm good info to have thanks again.

and flounder so is this dealer just taking a precaution and jsut replaing the whole set up or they just taking there time. He said that soon as he hears back from ups he would get back to me he is trying to track it with tracking numbers. as for the dust seals he did say that the reason they where leaking was becasue they probably dry rotted from sitting so long so who knows

but if it sat for a while without anyone using it or inspecting it before he bought it...

which it did ben. it did sit for a long time and when i got the bike i inspected it very very thorough me and my brother. had them run it leave it running. wouldnt let me test ride it or anything till the papaer where signed. but in my opinion it wasnt like i waited a week it obviously started leaking when i drove her home soon as i hopped off her my bro was like whats that leaking stuff so had a friend check it out and they seemed more pissed than me at the time.

Aleaking fork seal is not that big of a deal. when I say that I mean on a casual ride from the dealer. You prolly wouldn't want it leaking on 10/22 ride at junkies pace.

The dust caps shouldnt need replaced unless they are dry rotted. My .02 worth, take the current economy and it's more like .0124 worth.

Fork seals are easy to replace after the first time.

well the bike has only 7k miles who knows what the previous owner did to it it does ride and sound good, like i said my buddy whom his whole family rides and races there whole life says its a smooth bike except for the leaking fork seal. i even notcied goin over bumps it would pull a bit to the right or when i hit the brake and now i know why it must have leaked alot..

Fork seals leak due to many things. Endos when stopping are seal killers. USed to get bashed in the mellon everytime I stopped in the pits and endoed the bike a little.

But, buying a used bike, a few things can happen. The seals are not even covered under warranty as they can be blown easily at any time due to neglect and it is hard for either side to prove it was or wasn't.

If they did the seals, they should do both. You never should do only one...

I'd grab the bike, pull the forks and ship them to Reuben at 35 Motorsports and have him do the forks seals. He can catch a bur or anything that can cause a leak. Hell, a stone chip can create a leak so, they sometimes need cross hatched to be prepped for re assembly...

A good suspension guy can do that for you. I think Rub keeps R6 seals in stock...

In any case, get them both replaced.

Fork seals leak due to many things. Endos when stopping are seal killers. USed to get bashed in the mellon everytime I stopped in the pits and endoed the bike a little.

But, buying a used bike, a few things can happen. The seals are not even covered under warranty as they can be blown easily at any time due to neglect and it is hard for either side to prove it was or wasn't.

If they did the seals, they should do both. You never should do only one...

I'd grab the bike, pull the forks and ship them to Reuben at 35 Motorsports and have him do the forks seals. He can catch a bur or anything that can cause a leak. Hell, a stone chip can create a leak so, they sometimes need cross hatched to be prepped for re assembly...

A good suspension guy can do that for you. I think Rub keeps R6 seals in stock...

In any case, get them both replaced.

hey lizard thanks a ton for the insight. i am getting them both replaced the initial take to this thread aside from the crap service ive recieved is why the hell is it taking so long to get the parts. and only reason im keeping it there is casue there not chargeing full price since i referred them a sale the day i signed for mine. its only gonna cost me like 100 for them to do both instead of 200 i jsut dont see why it takes so long for yamaha to send the parts when they allready got the oil seals. i wouldnt want to ride it with it leaking you can def tell there is a suspension prob in the front end when you ride it...

which it did ben. it did sit for a long time and when i got the bike i inspected it very very thorough me and my brother. had them run it leave it running. wouldnt let me test ride it or anything till the papaer where signed. but in my opinion it wasnt like i waited a week it obviously started leaking when i drove her home soon as i hopped off her my bro was like whats that leaking stuff so had a friend check it out and they seemed more pissed than me at the time.

im saying that you couldnt have known. nobody would have known without riding it, and frankly watching a dealer tool around on new sportbikes all day to "inspect" them would make a lot of people more nervous about the bikes condition imo. so i guess its lose lose either way...

im saying that you couldnt have known. nobody would have known without riding it, and frankly watching a dealer tool around on new sportbikes all day to "inspect" them would make a lot of people more nervous about the bikes condition imo. so i guess its lose lose either way...

yeah thats kinda how i feel. but yeah i guess it could be worse like the engine blew or something. but still i still dont see why it has taken almost 2 weeks to get some measly seals in that only cost 30 something bucks..:-(:

Not to hijack the OP's thread - is there a way to lubricate the outside of the fork seal to prevent deterioration? I'm thinking it needs to stay dry because if there is some silicon on the seal it would attract dirt, which could then get jammed down into the seal between the upper and lower fork tubes with the normal up/down motion of the forks.

I just don't want to have mine go bad anytime soon :)

*update* well jsut got off the phone with service guy and the dust seals are on "back order" so i said screw it just put the original dust seals on and change the oil seals and be done with it. im not gonna go months without my bike casue the dust seals are on back order and if i feel the need to replace them then ill do it another time so i get my bike tomorrow!!! yay!!!!

*update* well jsut got off the phone with service guy and the dust seals are on "back order" so i said screw it just put the original dust seals on and change the oil seals and be done with it. im not gonna go months without my bike casue the dust seals are on back order and if i feel the need to replace them then ill do it another time so i get my bike tomorrow!!! yay!!!!

backorder for an 06? thanks ill take it somewhere else.

backorder for an 06? thanks ill take it somewhere else.

yeah well ill just use the existing dust seals and atleast have the bike with new oil seals he did find the sheet for me said it has new plugs,air filter is fine, oil and filter adjusted chain and whatever else needs adjusting its only gonna cost me now under 100 so i now know that if my bike needs serviced ill learn to do it myself or take it to a diff shop