Chris Harris and the FRS86GTBRZthing

Das Borgen

Also, many know this car is a ode to the Toyota 800 and the AE86, what most don't know is that the 800 was actually the first front-mounted, boxer engined rear-wheel drive automobile. Anyway, of course, they're going to use a company that is current with boxer tech and that they own a sizable portion of to develop a current boxer motor for the new 86. This obviously saves a ton of money and is almost 'in-house'. This isn't exactly unheard of between the two given that Toyota already provides FHI's minicars, for example.

As for the new FR-S/BR-Z, given where I currently live, I'd be tempted in to selling the Supra for one. Maybe, not the 1st year model, though. New car reliability and warranty on top of it.

Littleguy and I talked about owning an "underpowered" car like this one. I agreed with him that if I still lived in Houston or somewhere similar where you weren't able to really utilize the corner carving ability. In Houston especially, it's a land of power and straights.

However, here in Ohio, I know countless roads to lose an entire day on where the curves, banks, blind corners, decreasing radius turns, etc are nonstop and I still haven't run out of new ones, yet. (Seriously, compeletely shocking how few of you really know how many great roads you guys have out here.) Not only would this car be better at tackling these roads than my Supra, especially after a little suspension upgrade, but I'd save more gas getting there and back. There will always be upgrades for more power. Besides, the amount of power you'll need in a nice light car liek that will be alot less than you needed in your T/A, Evo, etc.

I'm excited.

it's good to see that the concept of the car is not lost on you :)

but i wouldn't be worried about 1st model year problems.......given the fierce reliability competitions between OEMs these days, you'd be hard-pressed to see dealbreaker reliability problems on new cars these days....there's certainly nothing to stop one from buying a new car 1st model year as compared to 10+years ago

I'm just waiting for Chad @ Byers to give me the go-ahead and he'll have a deposit in-hand for a Black BRZ Limited. First year, New platform, etc does worry me a little. But as above, I expect production processes to be better developed these days. And working within walking distance of the dealership doesn't hurt either. ;)

Though I know this car would be fun on the Triple Nickel, I'm really just looking forward to having a fun car to drive as a DD. My old AE86 was a blast to drive even if it was a Deluxe with only 70hp and an open diff. I hope to have some of that fun again.

Ew. Get off your LS1 box. It's gone to your head. :gabe:

Comparing it to a 240sx was actually a compliment buddy. :yuno: My 240 was one of the most fun to drive cars I've owned.

As for the 4DS, I thought that was a Toyota technology, not Subaru. Toyota Prado's and Helix trucks have been using 4DS engines for years.

Comparing it to a 240sx was actually a compliment buddy. :yuno: My 240 was one of the most fun to drive cars I've owned.

As for the 4DS, I thought that was a Toyota technology, not Subaru. Toyota Prado's and Helix trucks have been using 4DS engines for years.

Yes it is. Toyota brought the fuel, Subaru chipped in the block, and an unverified rumor says Yamaha did the heads.

I'm just waiting for Chad @ Byers to give me the go-ahead and he'll have a deposit in-hand for a Black BRZ Limited.

So, are you next in line after Farkas?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91566&highlight=subaru

Be sure to ask for the advance pricing promotion:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357273&postcount=7

:lolguy:

I think it's a good direction for both companies. Perhaps not so much a new direction--more of a doubling-back to the values of twenty years ago. There's a lot to like about these cars, but there ought to be for 30k.

If you don't mind me asking, are these selling for MSRP?

Lots of guesses were going around. But really, that happens with every new car. Reporters are full of crap when it comes to facts and specs. The only thing for sure is the stuff that comes straight from the manufacturer.

The presenter at NAIAS said 25K for the Premium, which puts the Limited around 27K. The FR-S is likely going to start around 23K-24K and gets optioned up from there.

makes the Genesis look fat:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2011/11/54315dfab8135cd22a171db6dd144ccb/original.png

That picture is not to scale, btw. Its not possible for the Subarota to have a roof line that much shorter than the Genesis Coupe, unless their target audience is headless. Also, This Subarota is a 2+2 whereas the MX7 is a true two-seater. The Subarota will be larger than that shooped picture suggests.

That picture is not to scale, btw. Its not possible for the Subarota to have a roof line that much shorter than the Genesis Coupe, unless their target audience is headless. Also, This Subarota is a 2+2 whereas the MX7 is a true two-seater. The Subarota will be larger than that shooped picture suggests.

They didn't take the MX-5's roof into account now that I look at it. But the BRZ is very close. It's only 2" taller than the Miata, but 3" shorter than the Genesis. The length measurements are correct, with the BRZ at 15.5" shorter in length. I think that picture is a lot closer than you think. Keep in mind that the seating postion in the BRZ is VERY low and the rear seats have almost no leg room.

Low seat.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/11q4/431835/2013-subaru-brz-interior-photo-432161-s-1280x782.jpg

Lack of rear legroom:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2012/r-z-0-9/2012-Subaru-BRZ-Interior-1024x768.jpg