Computer guys...

2 Sweet

When it comes to computers I really don't know shit from shinola. I want to get a cheap laptop, but I also don't want to overpay. If someone could help me find a decent used laptop for $150 or less, that would be pretty cool. I don't need it for gaming or anything like that; basically internet, music, CD burning, the basics.

I don't want anything Apple. Something with Windows XP or 7 would be cool, but none of that Vista bullshit. I understand the basics of computers but I'm not current on what the standards are as far as processors and ram and that stuff. I've been using a desktop with a Pentium 4 1.5 GHz and 512 MB of ram for the past 8-9 years, and it has been great. A laptop would just be more convenient.

Would something like this be a good buy for the money? Link...

http://columbus.craigslist.org/sys/2842100026.html

I would rather give my cash to someone on CR than random people on craigslist, so if you're reading this and you have something for sale, let me know!

Yeah, RAM is a cheap upgrade that makes a nice difference. I dont want to post anything for sale until I get the required number of posts, but I am pretty active on another columbus subaru forum... Send me a PM if you want help finding a laptop I might be able to help you out.

Best bang for the $ right now is the AMD chips. They under perform compared to there intel brothern but they cost allot less.

I just picked up

FX6100 149

Asus MOBO 10$ + mail in rebate (Microcenter special)

8gig ram 37$

KingWin 650 49$

Antec Elite case 39$

MC SSD 79$

boots up in 20 seconds thanks to the SSD plays star wars TOR superb with the GTX275 in her.

if you don't plan on gaming this pc meets your requirements. If you want to game add in your choice of mid level 100-150$ graphics cards and your set.

Ya mine was gone pretty quick ha

Any Core 2 duo Intel setup would be a great laptop for sure. 2 gigs of ram I would say yes.. and a good res 13-14" display is what I prefer myself.

A great upgrade would still be that 30gb SSD drive I have for sale too, would turn any 2 core machine into something really speedy ;)