Optics

Radio Flyer1647545514

I've seen a few of these threads but have a few questions I haven't seen answered. I just purchased all of the parts for my AR so I need to get my optics sorted out.

I don't have much experience with different types of optics and have never used anything real nice with this type of platform. Just some cheap 100 dollar scopes and my friends 4-12 Vortex. None of which I want on my rifle.

This is my go to gun. But I'd like to be able to shoot at distance when I go to Briar.

I'm trying buy right the first time.

I've looked on the internet at Aimpoint, Eotech, the option of adding a magnifier to either of those down the road, Trijicon RMR and ACOG in 3x if I ran across a steal of a deal. I've heard I can go to Gander Mountain and they will have some stuff mounted I could look through, something I plan to do before I buy.

I'm leaning toward Eotech right now. If I need the magnification I can add it is my thought process. How do these perform past 200 yards on 1x magnification. From what I've read, if you can see your target you can hit your target. It all depends on your vision as a person.

How useful are the 3x magnifiers and how well do they perform? Other than added weight are there any other negatives to them?

Does anyone have any experience with 1-4 scopes? Why would you choose a flip up over this?

Something else I've seen, but seems very unpractical to me is a red dot that is mounted offset of your primary scope. Does anyone have any experience with this or is it just a tacticool type of look?

Is there anything else/ other brands I should be looking at?

If I was planning to do a lot of 200+ yard shooting I would go with something magnified over a 1x. Sounds like what you want is a good variable power, maybe something like this http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-3x14-Mark-4-CQT-Riflescope-P45042.aspx

Or this which is cheaper http://www.midwayusa.com/product/338333/nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-1-4x-20mm-bdc-600-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-PriceCompListing-_-338333

There's a few things to consider, namely, the size of your target.

A man sized target @ 300m is about the size of the front sight post on most mil spec/standard iron sights. It can be challenging to hit but certainly doable.

1x of mag per 100 yards has always worked for me personally; keep in mind optics will tend to lose clarity as they're cranked up.

The nice thing about the EOtech is their reticle setup. Their (~1/3) 1 MOA dot is roughly the size of an inch at 100 yards, 2" at 200, etc so it works well on chest size target in the higher ranges for the 5.56. The 65 MOA donut helps in range estimation and can be handy in up close and personal situations. (65MOA is about 32" at 50 yards, 16" at 25, etc)

I debated going with a DMR 1-4x, ACOG, or EoTech's FTS Magnifier for my old school 512 and decided to rock the FTS Magnifier as I'd come to like the EoTec over the Aimpoints on my deployment.

The largest drawback of it is twofold:

1) No space, for anything. I have an old 512 and with the magnifier, there is no room on my top rail for backups like before.

2) I'm completely dependent on batteries. What can go wrong usually does.

3) Lack of easily establishing BDC

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably use the XPS-3 with their BDC dots.

While the sight picture is clear and decently bright, it is hard to argue against an ACOG or DMR optic with 30mm tube and decent exit pupil size. The eye relief is kind of short, so you have to adjust when switching over.

My brother recently bought a Millet DMS 1-4x to test. While the quality was on par with 200$ optics, it's actually not a bad buy. Nikon also makes their M-223 1-4 optic that is a decent buy as well.

Overall: think of the targets; consider the subtensions of the reticle, and plan for the inevitable dead batteries.

Personally I always need some sort of magnification. If shooting anything with some distance between you and the target, a red dot will just cover it up entirely. Either the above mentioned m223 or the primary arms 1-4x would be my suggestion. Definetly on the cheaper side but not on the quality

• 2 weeks later...