Dell Laptop Suggestions

NEORedLS1

Ok all you technology smart people, coming to you for some extra advice.

I'm looking at new Dell laptops for my dad and I. The one I have now is old, fat, and the hardware and software is outdated. It is a Dell Inspiron 1501 that still runs to this day off of Windows XP. I have the one I want in mind I think, but want other opinions on if I'm going in the right direction with the Inspiron 17R. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything, and if people could make suggestions I'd appreciate it.

My new one has to be a Dell. I've always owned Dell products, and my girlfriend's mom is a preferred customer with them because of some connection she has, so I get a good deal if I go through her, plus I can get one on installments. I'd do a MacBook, but I can't afford that kind of dinero while still being in school and not having a solid income.

I use my laptop for mostly school, editing videos and pictures and making stuff using software like Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio, and Photoshop. And I plan to graduate and get a job in the next 8 or 9 months, so eventually it would be used for work related stuff as well.

Go. :lolguy:

After moving over to a Mac, I would never ever suggest another Windows laptop, ever again. They might be a little more expensive, but the point is, THEY JUST WORK. My buddies 6 year old Mac Book ran better to this day, than my 3 year old laptop. What I'm getting at is, it's worth your time to save up and get a Mac Book Pro because in the end, it simply lasts longer.

After moving over to a Mac, I would never ever suggest another Windows laptop, ever again. They might be a little more expensive, but the point is, THEY JUST WORK. My buddies 6 year old Mac Book ran better to this day, than my 3 year old laptop. What I'm getting at is, it's worth your time to save up and get a Mac Book Pro because in the end, it simply lasts longer.

Not sure about lasting longer but for the most part I have to agree 100% with this statement. I've been a Windows fanboy for years and always hated macs, however after learning ( well really watching first hand) just how easy it is take take complete control of a windows based OS (even one running a top of the line Anti-virus) I will never go back. (and when I say complete control I mean remote access to everything on your computer, and the ability to make modifications to your operating system, watch you on your webcam, log all your keystrokes etc etc) - and no i never did any of that shit but I know people who did, or at least could if they wanted to.

But besides all that one of the other key reasons I went with a mac is the Graphics. I got a Core-2 Powered Dell Inspiron and the Graphics card is absolute junk. It is amazing how much clearer pictures / websites are on my Macbook(s) it's like surfing in HD. To quote Dave Chappelle "with my mac, the video resolution is so clear, I can see parts of the Vagina I didn't even know existed" http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/757610/ :lol:

I'd do a MacBook, but I can't afford that kind of dinero while still being in school and not having a solid income.

I refurb/fix/flip macbooks part-time and could probably cut you a pretty good deal on a 13", got a few laying around but it's going to be a few weeks until I can get them up and running as im pretty busy at the moment.

Ok all you technology smart people, coming to you for some extra advice.

I'm looking at new Dell laptops for my dad and I.

How IT/Internet savvy is your father? My family/extended family personally wont let any Women/Seniors (lulz) run anything other then macs due to all the virus issues, just something to think about.

How IT/Internet savvy is your father? My family/extended family personally wont let any Women/Seniors (lulz) run anything other then macs due to all the virus issues, just something to think about.

My mom's laptop and my uncle's netbook run Linux for this very reason. I was tired of them both inexplicably getting virus'.