WTB 1999 Mazda Miata

Erica

I have found 99s for $4500, but not this close to spring. I'll look around and see what I can find. I

always had good luck finding them in places like Alabama, Tennessee or the Atlanta area, I think because the weather there is good year round so the car is nothing special.

Edit: i also believe the 99-00 cars did NOT have the variable valve timing. Something changed in 01, I don't remember what it was, and that's why the 01+ cars have been pricier.

Later cars have the VVT head, and optimized manifolds among other things.

Erica, for reference my friend just bought a mint 2001 special edition with all the factory add-ons, ~90k miles, and a box of replacement parts like timing belt, water pump, etc. for $9,000 no negotiation. I think with a level head and some negotiation, you should be able to find the "right" '99 for $6,000. Good luck.

Unfortunatly, good Miatas aren't as easy to find as one would think. I have yet to see another MazdaSpeed in the next 2 states, good luck finding one I'll stay on the look out. Have you guys been on Miata.net looking around yet?

They aren't common, but they're out there. My dad picked up his second MSM last year from a local guy in the Akron area. Pristine condition, never saw so much as a raindrop. Had 28k on it and I think he got it for a little under $14,000 private sale.

Oddly enough, the night he drove it home was one of the worst thunderstorms in recent history :lolguy:.

And to the OP, find out who runs the local Miata clubs around central Ohio and go to a meeting sometime, you may be able to talk to people and find someone who can locate what you want. I think Buckeye Miata Club is the Columbus area group assuming they're still in existence.

From the Buckeye Club site:

2002 Miata SE 6spd., Titanium Grey/saddle brown leather, 73K miles.

Number 1313 of 1491 made. fog lights, A/C, windows, locks, cruise, Bose, power ant, metal petals, and sill plates, 16 inch snow flake wheels.

Clean car fax, car spend most of life in Tampa area.

Condition:

Car has service history, and all panels appear to be original.

Clutch, everything new less than 700 miles, including pilot bearing,and tranny service with Redline 80, MTL..

Brakes, been replaced, pads look good.

Tires, Falken Ziex 912 7-8/32 tread- good

Top, good condition, not new, but has been replaced, no obvious rips or tears.

Paint, very good shine, few little scratches, Rate as a A -

Interior, good over all , some checking of leather, but much better than what you would normally see with this year, Rate as B

Wheels, a little curb rash, almost all pass side, not bad, or noticeable until you (really) get close to car .Rate B.

(Tip, I have no connection), but Wheel Medic right here in town, can do some amazing things with wheel restoration, would recommend.

Car is a clean, very presentable example, asking price $ 8995.00.

I know this is out of your price range by a bit, but it can't hurt to call and see if you can talk it down some. It's an SE so you'll pay more but they tend to hold resale value a little better than a regular Miata.

Thanks for all the input guys.

This can be locked up, we brought a car home tonight.

Picked up a '99, 88K miles, almost 0 rust, 1 owner, 5 mt, silver, black top, black interior air, crank windows.

Needs major maintenance, but no worries on that front so it should be a solid runner.