Should we censor foul language?

Casper

Should we censor foul language?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should we censor foul language?

• Yes, censor all foul language.
    • No, leave it the way it is.
    • Yes, but allow members to turn off censor.
    • I don't care.

It looks like the majority of people do not want censorship........

BUT i see that one person is a pussy and cant take "vulgar" words.

If the board is going to be politically correct, then Casper you NEED to install the filter.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the majority of people do not want censorship........

BUT i see that one person is a pussy and cant take "vulgar" words.

If the board is going to be politically correct, then Casper you NEED to install the filter.

Censorship really isn't the proper word to use in this case.

What was proposed was the opportunity for people to choose to filter those "words" on an individual basis. If you choose not to filter them, you can still see them.

At any rate, your choice to use them or see them is not affected by anyone else's choice in any way. Explain to me how that "censors" your board experience.

And for the record, I've used my share of the seven words plenty here. I have no problem with it, and most likely wouldn't use the filter if it were available.

Like I said earlier, I'm against banning the use of swear words.

I do NOT, however, appreciate people on this site assuming just because someone doesnt like foul language, that they are a Christian "bible thumper." I think it's rude and immature to place those generalizations on people.

That being said, fuck off and die bitches!

Censorship really isn't the proper word to use in this case.

What was proposed was the opportunity for people to choose to filter those "words" on an individual basis. If you choose not to filter them, you can still see them.

At any rate, your choice to use them or see them is not affected by anyone else's choice in any way. Explain to me how that "censors" your board experience.

And for the record, I've used my share of the seven words plenty here. I have no problem with it, and most likely wouldn't use the filter if it were available.

OK, first of all im not getting into a pissing contest with a bible beater on here, but i will say this

1. The title of the thread is "Should we censor foul language?" , my post was directly refering to the number of votes for the Yes option as opposed to the "leave it the way it is" option.

2. The third option is "Yes, but allow members to turn off censor" Im not sure if something like this even exists....my theory is this was added in lieu of the "Hookers" option. If you wish to argue the meaning or use of the word censorship i suggest you take it up with Casper, as he is the one that started the thead.

3. Im my opinion ANY modification of what i say or type in ANY form, whether i am aware of it or not is CENSORSHIP

What are you 12?

If YOUR experience is not "censored" (and we're just talking about foul language) how does that effect you? The "words" that seem so important to some of you will still be there, if you CHOOSE. Those who CHOOSE not to see them won't. What's the big deal???

How about you grow up and take the time to learn the issue ?

Or how about those who want censorship - censor themselves ?

Firefox app to Censor Yourself

It isn't censorship if Ben owns the site. It isn't government disallowing a certain type of speech. It is a private individual banning a certain type of speech on a board that constitutes as private property. Therefore' date=' not censorship or a violation of free speech.[/quote']

Yup - his house, his rules :D

I've laughed at many of his 'censors' :grin:

rather than making an Opt-out type, make it a opt-in... ie, default the language filter to be off, so if the small number of people don't want to have to read the term "Dr. Fuckyocouch" they can turn it on so they can instead read, "Dr. I-do-not-respect-your-property-in-this-instance-your-couch-and-in-turn-your-feelings".

this would make sense based on the percentage break down of the votes.

please note, this is strictly laziness motivated. but i guess that goes both ways.

Just curious guys....

If it's left up to the individual user whether or not they "see" the vulgarity, how does it affect you?

You can still swear, talk shit, whatever you want. Your internet experience isn't hampered in any way shape or form.

I get tired of the pussy "the whole world needs to change to support my delicate sensibilities" bullshit. Most people use vulgar words of some sort, so why CHANGE something so they don't have see it? You can't turn on a TV these days without hearing the word shit, hell or damn. The only "taboo" word is fuck... and if you have cable, even that isn't taboo... so why cater to them?

I get tired of the pussy "the whole world needs to change to support my delicate sensibilities" bullshit. Most people use vulgar words of some sort, so why CHANGE something so they don't have see it? You can't turn on a TV these days without hearing the word shit, hell or damn. The only "taboo" word is fuck... and if you have cable, even that isn't taboo... so why cater to them?

How the fuck do you get "the whole world needs to change to support my delicate sensibilities" bullshit out of what I said?

Can you answer the question? How does allowing someone to self moderate what they read change your experience at all?

How the fuck do you get "the whole world needs to change to support my delicate sensibilities" bullshit out of what I said?

Can you answer the question? How does allowing someone to self moderate what they read change your experience at all?

I did. The idea, that adults need a filter option so that other adults aren't offended by adult language is, "changing the world to support delicate sensibilities." It doesn't change my viewing experience at all. It changes society, as yet another outlet crumples to the PC police. Sure... it starts out with a voluntary filter, and next thing you know the FCC is up your ass. Whether this happens or not is up to the owners and controlers of this site... but Casper asked for my opinion, and that is it.

I did. The idea, that adults need a filter option so that other adults aren't offended by adult language is, "changing the world to support delicate sensibilities." It doesn't change my viewing experience at all. It changes society, as yet another outlet crumples to the PC police. Sure... it starts out with a voluntary filter, and next thing you know the FCC is up your ass. Whether this happens or not is up to the owners and controlers of this site... but Casper asked for my opinion, and that is it.

:puke:

Edited by RC51 John
Cause i wanted to

Sure... it starts out with a voluntary filter, and next thing you know the FCC is up your ass.

Ohh, how played out is that argument?? Ban one gun, they're eventually ban them all. Ban one word, eventually they'll ban them all.

Honestly - the whole "give them an inch, they'll take a mile" argument hardly EVER plays out like that. I can't recall ANY examples of that in America. It's a scare tactic argument.

Not to derail the thread but it isn't a matter of "give them an inch and they'll take a mile." It's a matter of "It's my fucking shit and you can't fucking have it."

Back to your regularly scheduled thread about nonsensical bullshit.

i like you........... in a straight kinda way.

fuck no :D

No single word or phrase should have so much power as to cause havoc by it's simple utterance. Words should have power because of the truth that they contain and convey. To react strongly to such simple terms depicting obscenity, racism, displeasure or curses is to give the ignorant the power in our society.

Foolish to depend on, more foolish to react to.

Oh, and fuck that shit, I like to curse damn it!!!