yzf 426

kev1180

i just bought 01 yzf 426 dirt bike and i am having trouble getting it to start when hot or cold. it has flat top piston, short rod, white bros full exhaust and diferent intake. is there any parts out there to make it start easier without have to roll start it. even when i use the hot start is almost kills me to turn it over.

Yeah, if the head and/or jugs have been off, check to see if the timing chain is one tooth off. Easiest way might be to turn the timing till it starts. (Useless advice if it's electronic timing.) If it is way off from where it should be, the timing chain is probably one tooth off. It might already be set way off from what it should be, that's a clue. I've seen cars and bikes come back from the repair shops with the timing belt or chain off time.

Warning: check and mark and write down what the timing is current set at, so you can put it back if you want to.

If it's modified bore/stroke/compression, it might not be getting enough fuel. Spraying a little bit of starter fluid or fuel into the carburetor might make it start easier. Also another clue.

Wait...If you mean it's just harder then Hell to kick start, then maybe the compression release should be used, it's got one.

Linky about hard to start YZF426:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-116978.html

Using a compression release when starting is a learned skill. It will take practice.

definitely check the timing, the yzf's had alot of issues with stock timing chains stretching too. but the easiest and first id check are valves . also you can install the 450 cam with no mods and have auto decompression. they offer high compression pistons and long rod kits for bike but never saw a shorter rod?

• 2 weeks later...