2000 civic misfire

JaSSon

The car is a 2000 Civic LX with the 1.6L SOHC.

The car will start and idle, but when you place a load on the engine (such as shifting into gear or driving) it misfires. Sometimes stomping on it will get it to go, sometimes not. Sometimes you car drive it normally, sometimes it bucks. I just drove it to Shell and put a few gallons of V-Powa in it and it was ALRIGHT, with a few no-power moments. As sporadic as it is, trouble shooting has been a bitch.

So far I have:

-Inspected plugs: They are NGK V-copper. Gap was good, electrode looked brand new, but they were fouled black and stunk of gasoline. I cleaned and reinstalled. (Car would not drive and was difficult to start before i did this, actually runs now)

-Replaced spark plug wires

-Soaked injectors over night in Kerosene

-Replaced fuel filter

-Replaced both O2 sensors (was throwing codes for both)

-Replaced a cracked exhaust manifold

Car had timing belt and water pump replaced a few thousand miles ago and has a new battery. Could the timing belt be off a tooth?

Ideas before I throw (more) parts at it? Fuel pump? Ignition coil weak? A "mechanic" friend pulled the distributor cap off and said the cap/rotor looked ok, I have not pulled it to check for myself.

At this point it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and shell out $8 for a new set of plugs also. It would be unlikely for all 4 to be defective or dead short but I have been the victim of mishandled plugs that were shorted out brand new or after only a few thousand miles. Not long ago I had a Champion plug fail on my Jeep and they all looked just fine (and were only 5k miles old or so). Swapped the plugs and now it's golden.

MAF??

No check engine codes? and yes if the timing if off it'll misfire, you can check that easy yourself, now when the distributor cap was off did you notice any traces of a white powder looking substance? if so the coil is going bad, if not you could still have a bad injector, when its running and you notice the misfire pull a plug wire one at a time to determine which cylinder could be the issue and go from there

now when the distributor cap was off did you notice any traces of a white powder looking substance? if so the coil is going bad

On the points themselves or just inside the cap in general? just replaced my diz and was curious.

try cleaning the maf?

Speed density.

Personally, I would do a full ignition tune up. If you haven't pulled the cap off to inspect it for yourself then you should probably do that. Give that car some maintenance! From the description, it sounds like it could use it.

Speed density.

Personally, I would do a full ignition tune up. If you haven't pulled the cap off to inspect it for yourself then you should probably do that. Give that car some maintenance! From the description, it sounds like it could use it.

thanks for the correction, i wasnt sure they had one for sure, just sounded like those symptoms. sounds like it could be a weak coil too though if not timing belt being off.

On the points themselves or just inside the cap in general? just replaced my diz and was curious.

just take the cap off and look inside it, if you see any traces of the white powder substance anywhere on the cap or coil, then its failing.

Psh, what free time? Pulled the distributor cap today. Looks funky.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/loaded321/94eff514.jpg

Hmm, the contacts were not worn, just had build up of some sort on them. Cleaned that off and checked the rotor. Passed the test drive, and seems legit nao. :-)

looks like some red dust inside the cap, that's not a good sign, it means your distributor housing is going bad, I've seen alot of those on civic's, integra's and 2.2 & 2.3CL's

• 2 weeks later...