Reminder: Wilmington Mile Kick-Off Event this weekend

Tim Davis

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, well that track just became not worth the drive. So if I went up there and and followed all rules and my car can do more than 135 in a mile, I have to lift at 135? Unless I install a cage in a street car? What's the point of doing the mile again? So everyone should be bringing bicycles not cars right?

Yessir, you've got it. This was all discussed in an earlier thread, and a few members came to the same conclusion -- not worth it. But I had fun anyway. (see page 2 of this thread: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96408&highlight=wilmington )

Much stricter than Texas, but a lot of the same crowd, just closer to home. :)

Doc are you planning on going back tomorrow to watch at all?

I plan on still going on sunday. Anyone else?

Yeah, I'm going this morning but I have to leave for home by around 2 p.m. or so. If you need a ride, call me early 740-405-5565. Feel free to call if you want to meet up after you arrive. It's a big place (scattered along a nearly two mile runway), so don't count on immediately finding someone else. I would take along a warm hat and gloves, not just a light jacket. Most people ended up wearing the extra clothes to be comfortable in the wind. There were 3 food vendors until the rain, then 2 left. I don't know how much will be available today .... maybe pack a sammich just in case.

Also, my nav didn't take me to the right spot at all. First, avoid going through Wilminington on the way there. It's much faster to take SR 72 South from I-71 (Sabina-Jamestown exit), then US 22 west to SR 73, then turn right on Airborne/Airport Road. Bear left to stay on Airborne Road. You'll have runways on each side of you, and there's an entrance to the left with people standing by the fence and two small orange event signs in the grass.

Yessir, you've got it. This was all discussed in an earlier thread, and a few members came to the same conclusion -- not worth it. But I had fun anyway. (see page 2 of this thread: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96408&highlight=wilmington )

Much stricter than Texas, but a lot of the same crowd, just closer to home. :)

I know when I first heard about this, I was all excited and pumped up for a local mile track.. until I heard the ECTA was running it and it will basically be Maxton in Ohio... The amount of work required to make my car able to go the MPH its capable of isn't worth it to me to car about my mile MPH.

Was your Bentley stock? Sounds like you were moving out pretty damn good!

Good run doc, i think the next event ill do the same thing, make one glory pass and be shown the exit.

This was a very cool event seeing it for the first time alot of cool cars from all over the country.

Edited by SlowC6

Just got back. Seems like a fun event if you Because Racecar, my son got to strap into the orang Sudebaker, those guys were really nice.

Are there any awards for anything? Structured like brackets or a TSD? Seems difficult to justify the expense of entry if I'm going to have to sandbag (no cage) to keep from getting kicked out.

I had a great time except when it came to talking to the Devo Tuning Evo crew. JJ can attest to the figurative finger they gave me when I tried to initiate a conversation with them. I'm not used to being snubbed and it really left a sour taste.

I had a great time except when it came to talking to the Devo Tuning Evo crew. JJ can attest to the figurative finger they gave me when I tried to initiate a conversation with them. I'm not used to being snubbed and it really left a sour taste.

Go find old people and talk to them, you people are pricks.

Some older fella's let my kid strap into their Orange Studebaker coupe and play driver.

That sucks man the few people i talked to were really cool. I got to sit in the red hinson vette, and even got some old guys to drive me around in their golf carts.

All I asked is what size the turbo was and what turbine housing they had on it. I didn't realize that it was a goddamn national secret.

Doc said the Hinson guys were very nice and down to earth, hard to find from that caliber shop nowadays.

Yes, i was there. Alex just asked a simple question. Answer was "i dont know" and then turned their back to us.

I thought it was a real d-bag move. I lost respect for the team. Not like my opinion matters.

What motor is in the Gremlin!?

I never got the chance to ask the team that question, but it broke 200 on Sunday.

Was your Bentley stock?

Yep, CR stock. :thumbup:

Doc,

Did you have to run one of the spec fuels?

No, just 93 from SpeedWay. They have race gas and some other fuels available from a vendor there, and there are (of course) lots and lots of rules about that. Changing fuel changes your class.

Are there any awards for anything? Structured like brackets or a TSD? Seems difficult to justify the expense of entry if I'm going to have to sandbag (no cage) to keep from getting kicked out.

Yep, lots of awards based on your class. I think there's also special recognition for new 200 mph members as well. All the records from Maxton were retired, so running at the first event was your best chance to get an award.

That looks like Mike Reichens car. I've never met him but he seemed nice enough on the dsmlink forums. Guess in person is another story.

That's him. He seemed decent enough at the shootout last year, maybe different venues equate to multiple personalities.

That's him. He seemed decent enough at the shootout last year, maybe different venues equate to multiple personalities.

He can be a dick-even when you have known him for a while. His mood really depends on what his car is doing.

I think the car is back on a BW 74mm with a 1.3X turbine but I can find out if you like.