Chain, or wire for locking..

SRTurbo04

Well im about to throw the jet skis in the water on the dry docks and i will be locking them up. what is going to be stronger out in the elements and also submerged in water, typical chain or the spin wire type chains they have out ? Part of the chain will spend months on end submerged under water. Just trying to make this as safe as possible for the skis.

I have $46 million in equipment I am responsible for. I have had some of it chained, but switched to cable. Chain and bolt cutters are a quick cut. However, cable is not all that easy with bolt cutters and there is always a few strans that need more cutting on them. To me, that slows them down and my provide the extra time to expose them and get them caught in the act. Like I said, chain cuts easy, and you can be outta there.

If it's going to be in water, I would get rubber coated and at least half inch. Of course you are going to use a lock to secure this, and locks cut just as easy as chain, unless you get a hardcore lock.

I have $46 million in equipment I am responsible for. I have had some of it chained, but switched to cable. Chain and bolt cutters are a quick cut. However, cable is not all that easy with bolt cutters and there is always a few strans that need more cutting on them. To me, that slows them down and my provide the extra time to expose them and get them caught in the act. Like I said, chain cuts easy, and you can be outta there.

If it's going to be in water, I would get rubber coated and at least half inch. Of course you are going to use a lock to secure this, and locks cut just as easy as chain, unless you get a hardcore lock.

We have a lock where u can't ge a bolt cutter around it :D so far we gave a cable but didn't know if that would break easy being submerged underwater for periods of times. Thanks bud

Just paranoid trying to make it the safest posible.

You can get any kind of fancy chain/cable you want, but if someone knows what they're doing you're screwed. Cables/chains/locks/etc are pretty easy to deal with using cutters/sawzall/torch, which is why you want insurance. As long as it's not something the local 12-year-olds can cut with their safety scissors, you'll be fine.

In my experience a good 3/8" or 1/2" chain will last for years and years submerged, buried, etc but I don't know about salt water.

Be sure you get rubber coated cable on there. Hell, completely dry it, and spray coat it with some 3M rubber sealer.

will some used rubbers work? :lolguy:

Just get good insurance and let someone steal those turds! :)
turds..? u bring out that new fancy supercharged ski and ill run you in my old school two stroke.. get sum.

FYI those round locks that you can't get bolt cutters on are by far the easiest to pick. I can pick them in under 10 seconds.

not one of those ones. but thanks for the tip i was about to buy one to lock up the trailers together ughh

Buckeye this weekend! You don't want any, Kawi 300 couldn't hang with me.

yea pass on buckeye i like my health few more weeks and ill drop mine in the water and we can play with a old tired two stroke

You can get any kind of fancy chain/cable you want, but if someone knows what they're doing you're screwed. Cables/chains/locks/etc are pretty easy to deal with using cutters/sawzall/torch, which is why you want insurance. As long as it's not something the local 12-year-olds can cut with their safety scissors, you'll be fine.

Truth. Someone wants it bad enough they will find away.

FYI those round locks that you can't get bolt cutters on are by far the easiest to pick. I can pick them in under 10 seconds.

Actually I have found that nearly ALL Masterlocks are easy to pick. I have only ran accross one that I couldn't.

Not that I have any experience picking locks what so ever...... :gabe: