Car Audio Experts inside please.

Draco-REX

There might be some Car PC overlap to.

So, I'm really disappointed in the state of car head units. Their interfaces suck and their features are made laughable by cell phones/mp3 players that cost half as much.

Car PCs are neat, but clunky still.

What I want is my phone or other developed android/iPhone device as a head unit.

So my question is: Is there a device that can take a standard audio feed and connect it to a car's amp without a head unit involved? Something that will take it's volume cues from the audio feed.

Basically, I'd like to get a simple android tablet with WiFi and mount it where the head unit would be and connect its audio to the car's sound system.

Is there a way to do this? Am I stuck with a head unit, or will a simple miniplug jack to RCA cable to an amp be all I need?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think an Android tablet would be able to amplify or process the audio as efficiently as a head unit though it's been years since I've looked. I know they make just "monitor" units but they still control volume and everything. Not the tablet.

I wouldn't think an Android tablet would be able to amplify or process the audio as efficiently as a head unit though it's been years since I've looked. I know they make just "monitor" units but they still control volume and everything. Not the tablet.

I know amps come with RCA inputs, would a headphone jack to RCA cable be all I need?

I would personally look at getting a used Pioneer headunit, some of their older models, especially in the Premier line, have been really good with sound. Just my .02.

I think Justinwebb has done something similar to tablet used as the main unit...

What are you looking for?

Something like this?

Similar idea, yes.

Here's the thing.. My phone does everything I want my car's head unit to do, and it does it better than any head unit you can buy. Google Maps is the best GPS software I've ever used, I can stream audio over the internet with different apps, track my actual speed and mileage, and so many other things. So I was thinking I could rig an android tablet in place of a head unit.

I know amps come with RCA inputs, would a headphone jack to RCA cable be all I need?

There is an App Radio that is out for the Iphone that works really well. It doesn't cost a lot and gives you some nice things out of a simple display.

The sound quality would suffer.

I don't know if that is necessarily true... What is the maximum voltage of the headphone output on that droid tablet?

I thought I read somewhere that iPhones could continuously produce 2+ volts without clipping? This is enough to plug into an amp directly and match the gains without having terrible sound quality. Most cheaper head units only come with 2-3 volt preouts anyways, so you wouldn't be too far behind a regular head unit's amp preouts. Its been a long time since I've messed with car audio though so I might be missing something

I don't know if that is necessarily true... What is the maximum voltage of the headphone output on that droid tablet?

I thought I read somewhere that iPhones could continuously produce 2+ volts without clipping? This is enough to plug into an amp directly and match the gains without having terrible sound quality. Most cheaper head units only come with 2-3 volt preouts anyways, so you wouldn't be too far behind a regular head unit's amp preouts. Its been a long time since I've messed with car audio though so I might be missing something

Is that the sweet spot? Hmm.. I'll have to see what I can find.

I haven't really wanted to upgrade a stock stereo for a while since I've never seen an alternative that I liked. But this sounds like it might be a fun project..

something like this?

Yes, but not so obscenely large. I want to use a smaller tablet that will fit in a double din gap and look almost factory.

I'm pret sure one of the main aftermarket audio companies is coming out with a double-din head unit that runs Android. Might be worth looking into/waiting for?

*look at the date*

*look at my phone*

*look at the date again*

Day late and dollar short. The only one I've seen is either a stock Audi unit or a chinese unit. Anything in the US isn't likely near market and will be delayed and finally come out as a shadow of what it could be.

Yes, but not so obscenely large. I want to use a smaller tablet that will fit in a double din gap and look almost factory.

*look at the date*

*look at my phone*

*look at the date again*

Day late and dollar short. The only one I've seen is either a stock Audi unit or a chinese unit. Anything in the US isn't likely near market and will be delayed and finally come out as a shadow of what it could be.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/30/2912655/clarion-mirage-android-froyo-head-unit

I honestly don't know if Clarion is Chinese or not, but this looks half way decent.

They're Japanese FWIW. I've never been impressed with any Clarion product, ever, but that Android-based unit just might be a different shade.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything Android based. And Draco, from what I know, you're pretty much going to have to have a headunit of some sort if you want any audio. About the only thing I could think of would be buying a very basic unit with an aux-in, stripping it down to the bare bones and rigging it deep back inside the dash and mount your tablet in front.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/30/2912655/clarion-mirage-android-froyo-head-unit

I honestly don't know if Clarion is Chinese or not, but this looks half way decent.

The company is working on producing trial units for Southeast Asian automakers [...] There aren't any plans to bring Mirage to other markets yet,

Might as well be vaporware.

relevant

http://i.imgur.com/NGcUN.jpg

saw that yesterday, too true.

Very relevant. I hope this makes its way to the big car audio companies.

They're Japanese FWIW. I've never been impressed with any Clarion product, ever, but that Android-based unit just might be a different shade.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything Android based. And Draco, from what I know, you're pretty much going to have to have a headunit of some sort if you want any audio. About the only thing I could think of would be buying a very basic unit with an aux-in, stripping it down to the bare bones and rigging it deep back inside the dash and mount your tablet in front.

What do the Car PC guys do?

yes that could work, but i would recommend a signal amp like a portable headphone amp that then outputs to the amp(s).

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/sc/34468548-2-300-0.gif

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11730506/Audio_Extension_Cable.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6WnAcGCknS4D4yNkmbqC1L5iRM2fmHp-mXh3qK225bVCR2uckP0gbofKC

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/217600660.jpg