wedding photog and dj

AJ

When we were looking for a photographer we basically found 5 classes.

1. Uncle Bob

2. Your friend with a camera and photoshop who thinks they are a photographer

3. The semi professional that knows what they are doing but only does a few jobs a year and won't charge much. May come with a helper

4. The semi professional who thinks they are a professional. Same as #3 but they charge a lot more. May come with a helper

5. Professional. Charges more, but is very high quality with the best equipment. Always has a helper.

We went with a #3. The pictures turned out great and we got rights to all of them even after editing. It seemed like that was the biggest drawback of going with a #4 or #5.

We must have taked to over 50 photographers and looked at maybe 40 portfolios.

I could honestly care a less if theres no special touch ups or writing on any of the pics. We saved money where we could and were plenty happy with our results. So for any one that got butt hurt about my opinion. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

I think this is where choosing photogs and negotiations come in... my soon-to-be-wife and I were spending a good bit of time debating how we should approach the picture-taking, because there are a couple of published photogs on our guest list who we knew would be more than willing to handle that aspect for us. We've also got family who do the post-processing work for a living and were almost begging to do it for us. Eventually, though, we decided that hiring someone (we ended up choosing a HS classmate of mine who runs a photo business) was the best course of action, mostly because:

1. We want our guests to be guests and enjoy themselves, not have to worry about snapping off pictures every thirty seconds

2. One of them would spend an inordinate amount of time composing the picture instead of just getting on with it. Great when shooting motorcycles, not so much with people.

3. We know a couple will still bring their portable gear just based on personality. Taking away the responsibility of shooting us lets them meet, greet, and talk shop with each other (and maybe even settle the Canon vs. Nikon wars).

Basically, what we worked out was a not-on-the-menu package that focuses on getting lots of pictures (with enough gray cards to make sure the backroom folks can get white balance), cuts out all of the prints/books/whatnot that usually comes with buying a wedding package, and gives them full advertising rights. We're spending about half what a normal wedding package costs as a result :)