Androids' google maps now available without cell service.

Sturg1647545502

This is not old news. This is a big improvement over the old way, which was basically just caching your route. Now you actually select a whole area of a map and download it.

You could download entire regions of the us map last fall... I tried it, then said hell with it when it raped my phones storage.

You could download entire regions of the us map last fall... I tried it, then said hell with it when it raped my phones storage.

Whaaaaat?? Well I guess that's 3 of you who've said this is old news so I guess I've been clueless about that feature.

This is not old news. This is a big improvement over the old way, which was basically just caching your route. Now you actually select a whole area of a map and download it.

Before I went to Amsterdam last year I cached the whole city. I turned on airplane mode, turned on GPS, and walked everywhere without getting lost. It is an addon to the maps app but it has been out there for at least a year.