1998 Saturn SL2, ignition key will not turn or come out.

Stampede

Here is my issue, when I turn the car off, and leave the key in the ignition more then 10 secs, the key gets stuck, cannot turn or remove the key. Most of the time I can get to come out, but now I cant. This is what it is doing right now, I can move the steering wheel from left to right, most of the times, sometimes it locks, then it will unlock after turning it. The key has been stuck for a day now, I'm thinking its the ignition module, so how can I bypass this, so I can remove the key?

Thanks.

Might sound silly, but have you tried pushing in on the key as you rotate it to the remove position?

The wife's SC1 is a bit janky in that you need to push in on the key and make a smooth sweep all the way to the off position or it sticks in the middle. If that "technique" doesn't work, you probably need a new cylinder as others have suggested.

So, do I need to beat, / cut the tab off for the cylinder lock , and can I get a cylinder lock to much the factory one?

Thanks.

You can get a cylinder to fit the factory one from a GM dealer. They code it for you for like $50. You get the key code and the tumbler sequence and I'll build it for $10 for you. It's not difficult. You'll need a new key cut off the VIN from a dealer as well.

I worked at Saturn for 5 years doing this stuff.

Does it not turn either way? It just stays in the ON position? You might be able to get it out of the housing if it's in the on position.