PC Crew: Can I add the optional video card to my Dell Laptop?

twistedfocus1647545489

I have been tinkerng with my old Dell Vostro 1500. I'm doubling the memory and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7. Like most laptops, it has onboard video but I found the optional stand-alone video card on eBay for cheap (used, of course).

I read the manual and saw some videos about REPLACING them on this series, and it seems pretty straight forward. What I can't find out for sure is if I can ADD that card to this motherboard if it wasn't initially optioned for it.

I don't even have a good reason for the upgrade, I just like tinkering. Is this possible? I do use it to process large images in Photoshop ocasionally, so maybe it will help a bit there. I can't imagine Dell would make it so that they have to use a different motherbard or other components that would complicate their production line.

If you have a 8400gs in it currently this would be an upgrade. Not much of one but still an upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-1520-1521-VOSTRO-1500-NIVIDIA-8600M-GT-VIDEO-VARD-256MB-UW390-/110816642305?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19cd2fc501#ht_1926wt_954\

I believe that the 8600gt is as high as you can go with the vostro 1500.

If you have a 8400gs in it currently this would be an upgrade. Not much of one but still an upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-1520-1521-VOSTRO-1500-NIVIDIA-8600M-GT-VIDEO-VARD-256MB-UW390-/110816642305?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19cd2fc501#ht_1926wt_954\

I believe that the 8600gt is as high as you can go with the vostro 1500.

That's the catch - I currently have no video card, just onboard.

That's the catch - I currently have no video card, just onboard.

Well that make things a bit harder. The motherboard that has on board video does not have an upgrade option.

If you wanna get creative and like to tinker you can get the motherboard for that video card it should all go together nicely.

I am not 100% sure so you might wanna research some more.

Here is a motherboard but its a bit expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Dell-Inspiron-1520-Vostro-1500-Intel-Motherboard-WP044-KU926-WY041-/251052155611?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a73dfe2db#ht_3483wt_954

Keep in mind also that the m8600 gt is the card that nvida had to recall due to a defect that caused them to fry early.

I don't know if its worth it spending $100 bucks and have it crap out after a few months. However the cards are cheap so maybe buy like 2 or 3 just in case.

If you wanna search around the part number for the motherboard is WP044 and the video card is UW390.

Well that make things a bit harder. The motherboard that has on board video does not have an upgrade option.

Yeah, after doing some further research I finally found an old post on Dell's support forum about it. Basically saying that, exactly as I feared, there is a specific motherboard used to support the stand alone card.

Oh well, it's not worth all that to me. Sometimes it would be nice to have, but I'm not a gamer. I'm just trying to pep this machine up a little on the cheap to get a few more years of service out of it if I can. At least it does run the "Aero" experience in Windows 7.

Thanks for the tips everyone.