Carb turbocharger cam specs - Matt?

hpfiend

Hey all

What cam do you guys recommend for a low compression 355 sbc, th350, 3.73 gears (for now), 3000 rpm stall, 2700 lbs and a single 76mm turbo- air to water cooled probably under 18 psi...

(soon)

I know I want milder duration and small overlap but that is about it- I would guess as much lift as possible. It has iron 1.94 double hump heads for now...

It has a huge cam in it now wih 9 inches of vacuum and terrible low rpm dead spot... Sounds mean but runs poorly until you beat on it

Not really an SBC guy, but I'd say simply a mild turbo specific cam or mediocre N/A or nitrous cam. You're right on keeping the overlap down. If my car didn't already make good power, I'd be swapping in a cam with less overlap. Wide lobe separation is good, especially on low compression engines.

Ditch those heads ASAP. All hype (though boost helps...:gabe:). Make sure you don't overtax whatever valve springs are on it. Maybe watch the valve guide clearance too. Or toss them in the corner...

Thanks! I know the heads arent ideal but I was going to see how far I could get on the turbo before putting some aluminum aftermarket pieces on there...

Totally makes sense. If your current cam is that big I'd bet you'll pick up a substantial amount of midrange torque and throttle response with a smaller cam. Good place to start, even if it's a straight race car. I hate to see straight up race cams in cars that would benefit from something in the middle. The sound is great, but slowing your car down for sound is gayer than super aids.

Dur at .050 high 220s intake 230s exhaust. Lift of .550 or so asuming it to be a hyd. Cam. Lobe sep 112 to 115. For gen1 sbc. My cam is huge and proably could help a ton if it was smaller.

My cam is 264/268 .050 dur .626/.626 lift 114ls. 110ic. Id lik a roller with same lift or more but 248 to low 250s dur. This cam works to past 8000rpm and I never pull past 7000rpm so the top end of the cam is waisted and would be better with less overlap. My overlap is 38 deg. Better would be arround 28 expecially for a 8.4:1 comp on e85

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Just found out I don't have a roller block... Are the link bar lifters worth the 400 they cost or am I ok with a hydraulic flat tappet cam? The guy at comp cams said I would have to use special oil always, break in procedure, and may wipe a lobe... Also found out the heads need to be machined for springs capable of handling .525+ lift under boost ~130 seat pressure...

I am half wondering if I should get some of those sbc to ls mount adapter plates and run a junkyard 5.3 ls with the same carb and a zr1 cam or at least the same cam but don't worry about the roller issue and have better aluminum heads and rotating assembly.. Could probably sell this sbc airgap manifold and msd dizzy but dunno if a carb ls1 manifold would fit under my stock hood like this one does... Thoughts?

If u run a small solid mechanical c. am I have a new set of comp cams 930 double springs. Or if your waiting I have a set of dart sportsmans 2s that came off a roundy round. There ported to a 225 runner. 2.08 1.65 valves .200 long and double springs good to .710 lift. For solid rollers. There on my nos 355 right now.

Oh and I have a set of lunati roller lifters for non roller blocs. I hadto get the .300 longer