First COPO Camaro in the 8's

wagner

8s out of the box? Wow.

Though I'm curious about something. What's the point to this?

If it's to get a chassis pre-setup and built for drag racing, why drop a big expensive engine into it?

But if it's to get a really fast car, that's cool, but I don't think there are national Stock classes in Drag Racing, and you don't need to do 8s for bracket racing.

If you want a platform to start from, it seems to me that to get from 8s to 7s or even 6s the engine would need to be practically rebuilt, making it a waste. Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a 7 or 6 second car from scratch than to pitch most of the engine on an 80K+ car?

What is the goal of a purpose-built, title-less, 8sec drag car? It's an impressive feat. But I think I'm missing something here.

8s out of the box? Wow.

If it's to get a chassis pre-setup and built for drag racing, why drop a big expensive engine into it?

But if it's to get a really fast car, that's cool, but I don't think there are national Stock classes in Drag Racing, and you don't need to do 8s for bracket racing.

If you want a platform to start from, it seems to me that to get from 8s to 7s or even 6s the engine would need to be practically rebuilt, making it a waste. Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a 7 or 6 second car from scratch than to pitch most of the engine on an 80K+ car?

What is the goal of a purpose-built, title-less, 8sec drag car? It's an impressive feat. But I think I'm missing something here.

These are built for super stock and other class racing. There are very strict rules and these along with the cobrajet and drag Pac challengers are made for it. To be competitive at the highest levels in these classes you need a car like this.

These are built for super stock and other class racing. There are very strict rules and these along with the cobrajet and drag Pac challengers are made for it. To be competitive at the highest levels in these classes you need a car like this.

Ok, so there are "stock" classes. I see.

I have been following these cars for a while and I get all the GM newsletters about them. This is a badass piece but I am not sure that I would pay the 90k price tag for one. The car is still gangster though and has a really cool story behind the Copo concept, dating back to the originals in 69. And like Wags said, Copos are strictly built for NHRA Super Stock class.

8s out of the box? Wow.

The S/C cars are 5.3L's based on the LSX block (the same block in Marc's Vette). If someone wanted to push it farther I don't think tehy'd have to start the build over.