Trans people step in

Buck531

What happens when a torque converter starts going bad? This one was squealing after 20-30 minutes of driving. Does it send black stuff through the trans? I pulled the GTP's trans and it looks like 10w-30 motor oil. No chunks or anything in the pan. Should I be worried about this or just throw a filter and some new fluid? And no.. it doesn't smell burnt. Just smells like ATF.. but black.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/CAM00111.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/CAM00116.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/CAM00118.jpg

Edited by Buck531

• 2 weeks later...

Black fluid = contaminated with friction material, meaning a clutch pack is going bad, by the looks of things fast. The squealing you heard was likely metal-on-metal clutch contact, due to the fact the friction surface between the two plates disintegrated. Nothing to do with the T.C.

Im guessing a rebuild will be in order in the near future.

Was there any fine particulate matter in the pan, like black dust type stuff?

I do have rather effeminate eyes...

bitches love mah eyes

Edited by acklac7

A plugged up filter can make a pretty nasty squeal. Black fluid is not good obviously, but you may want to throw a filter and fluid at it if you're just trying to squeak by. Just sucks that's still going to run around 100 bucks in fluid/parts. Let us know what the outcome is :)

but you may want to throw a filter and fluid at it if you're just trying to squeak by.

If the friction lining in one or more of the clutch packs is failing/has failed (which I strongly suspect is the case) the metal (clutch) plates will eventually become so hot they weld themselves together and may further damage the trans $$. At that point you go from "fucked" to "really fucked", this is usually indicated by a massive car-shaking "THUNK" while driving, followed by a slurry of expletives - ask me how I know.

If you are going to drive it I would run full synthetic fluid with a friction additive, personally I wouldn't drive it until you can get it serviced.

Update. the trans has been pulled apart and all pieces inspected. The torque converter is what blew. All the clutches are perfectly fine. Not much wear at all. There are a few parts that need replaced, but none are the gears, clutch packs or anything.

The trans isn't toast. Just needs $200 in parts and it's a $2500 trans. Needs a input sun gear, and a reaction shel and a new Differential.

There are a few parts that need replaced, but none are the gears, clutch packs or anything....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Needs a input sun gear, and a reaction shel and a new Differential.

:confused:

Not trying to flame here but AJ feel free to correct me if im wrong: an input sun gear is a gear.....right?...shit a differential is an entire gearset in itself.

What ever the case you got a good deal but still the diagnosis has me a bit confused.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vhui5c.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/73ovog.jpg

Update. the trans has been pulled apart and all pieces inspected. The torque converter is what blew. All the clutches are perfectly fine. Not much wear at all. There are a few parts that need replaced, but none are the gears, clutch packs or anything.

The trans isn't toast. Just needs $200 in parts and it's a $2500 trans. Needs a input sun gear, and a reaction shel and a new Differential.

Before you get too sure the clutches are not wore out you need to reassemble the clutch pack and check the gap. I've burnt myself on that once and had to pull the trans back out and replace the clutches.

The guy who rebuilt it just wasn't some dude down the street. He was the mechanic/trans at Intense racing way back in the day. He knows his shit. I will trust what he says on these transmissions Because.. well he's done hundreds of them. If you want to call him to talk about go right ahead. The TC blew up pretty much and blew the stuff through the trans. In the pan there were no chunks or nothing. The magnet wasn't even that bad.

The guy who rebuilt it just wasn't some dude down the street. He was the mechanic/trans at Intense racing way back in the day. He knows his shit. I will trust what he says on these transmissions Because.. well he's done hundreds of them. If you want to call him to talk about go right ahead. The TC blew up pretty much and blew the stuff through the trans. In the pan there were no chunks or nothing. The magnet wasn't even that bad.

Tim King?

That guy knows transmissions like it's his business....because it is. Dude is the expert of experts