Who can rebuild turbo's?

Buck531

My brother just called and a guy he works with has a '94 300ZX and I guess needs the turbo's rebuild. I guess new turbo's are 1700 each and rebuilding them is half the cost. I don't have any other details other than that. The turbo's are off the car. Is there anyone locally who does them and is good at it? Anyone you can recommend?

My brother just called and a guy he works with has a '94 300ZX and I guess needs the turbo's rebuild. I guess new turbo's are 1700 each and rebuilding them is half the cost. I don't have any other details other than that. The turbo's are off the car. Is there anyone locally who does them and is good at it? Anyone you can recommend?

I personally would never have someone rebuild a turbo for a 300ZX that I wasn't 1000% confident in (Meaning no one) since if something isn't right that engine is coming right back out to repair/replace. A Civic or DSM or EVO 8/9 might be worth the risk since the turbo is easily accessible but on a 3/S or Z or S4 (Essentially any Twin V6 or V8 car) I would never risk it.

Just my 2-cents...

Jeff

I started a thread like this when I first joined. Answers were mainly diesel supply shops. Maybe Columbus diesel?

That was my first thought.

I personally would never have someone rebuild a turbo for a 300ZX that I wasn't 1000% confident in (Meaning no one) since if something isn't right that engine is coming right back out to repair/replace. A Civic or DSM or EVO 8/9 might be worth the risk since the turbo is easily accessible but on a 3/S or Z or S4 (Essentially any Twin V6 or V8 car) I would never risk it.

Just my 2-cents...

Jeff

So you would suggest just buying two new turbo's? I hear ya.. the guy was just trying to avoid that. I guess new turbo's are around $1700 and to rebuid is half of that. Unless you have a better option Jeff I can give him your number and have him call you folks.

Slightly off topic but do you have to yank the engine to do practically anything on these cars?

Pretty much from what I understand. The motor is already out of the car getting rebuilt and the guy rebuilding it said the turbo's need replaced.

So you would suggest just buying two new turbo's? I hear ya.. the guy was just trying to avoid that. I guess new turbo's are around $1700 and to rebuid is half of that. Unless you have a better option Jeff I can give him your number and have him call you folks.

Not necessarily Nissan/Dealer new but let me see what I can find and I will have Erik shoot you a PM. Or, you can certainly have him call us directly and we can go over his options.

Jeff

1700 each? thats crazy, he cant find a turbo aftermarket brand new for less than 3400 for the pair.

I 2nd the rebuild, unless it is someone who can guarantee the rebuild and someone with alot of reviews id say no. Labor wise it would suck to do that job more than once for some shitty rebuild if thats what it came down to.