wiring problems

Skinner

So the fog lights on my Jeep no longer worked. found the direction on how to manually wire up the stock lights to the stock switch

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum%20stuff/fogWiringDiagram.jpg

followed the diagram ran the wire and am using a 5 prong relay. After everything is wired up if I plug the inline fuse in running from my battery the pass side fog light comes on. Pulled the fuse made sure grounds are good plug it back in and same thing. Just to test turned the key over and tested lights from the switch and got nothing. Tried another relay that I have and got the same results not sure where I went wrong.

any ideas?

99% chance you may have wired it wrong, or used the wrong relay..

Those type of 20/30a relays come in a couple configs.

If the pic you posted one that appears to have the 87 & 87A terminals, in which case, one is Normally Open, one Normally Closed. They both need to be on terimal "87" of your relay which is the NO contact.

Example:

http://www.electronicsnmore.com/images/960.gif

So only 1 light would come on if you used that type of relay and actually wired one to 87 & one to 87A.

Whatever light works find out what pole it goes to on that relay, and wire them together. Both lights combined are not going to overload the relay.

If none of this makes sens, stop by my work one and we'll have you fixed up in a jiffy.

Jones first useful post of 2012. :lol:

Don't be a hater bruh.

Once had to rewire a coworkers headlights on car he bought blind with no working headlights. Did it in the parking lot with those relays some wire and tape.

"Dude I gotta drive home with this tonight"

People being retarded lol

99% chance you may have wired it wrong, or used the wrong relay..

Those type of 20/30a relays come in a couple configs.

If the pic you posted one that appears to have the 87 & 87A terminals, in which case, one is Normally Open, one Normally Closed. They both need to be on terimal "87" of your relay which is the NO contact.

Example:

http://www.electronicsnmore.com/images/960.gif

So only 1 light would come on if you used that type of relay and actually wired one to 87 & one to 87A.

Whatever light works find out what pole it goes to on that relay, and wire them together. Both lights combined are not going to overload the relay.

If none of this makes sens, stop by my work one and we'll have you fixed up in a jiffy.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ is 100% correct. Additionally, with the way it is wired, the passenger side will be on when the switch is "off", and, while the car is off if that switch is wired hot.

Just wire them together.....

OK, did that and now nothing comes on so I think its the switch. I want to jump it to test to make sure. Can I make the Jumper and run it from the 12 volt source to the relay switch or do I need to add a ground as well and if I do how would I make that?

if the relay is grounded on the correct pin, you should be able to use a test wire to jump the constant hot to the switch terminal. I would have someone check the lights while you do it so you can do it quickly.

Jumped it and can hear the relay kick over and the lights turned on. Bad switch.

Thanks for the help guys.