Homemade tow vehicles?

TurboNova

Anyone on here ever make their own home made tow vehicle setup? I have seen a ton of e450 style box vans with the 7.3 diesel engines and the like for sale rather cheap.

I have a nice newer 1/2 ton truck that pulls my open trailer around fine but recently got a 30 foot camper and been kicking around the idea of a 24-28' enclosed car trailer.

Idea would be to get one of these said box vans, frame the roll up door section to make a complete enclosure, frame in a side rv style door and folding steps.

Put in some type of laminate floor/carpet and cabinets with a bed and some lighting with a roof top ac. would be great for any over night car hauling needs. Proly have 6-8k in a sleep style diesel hauler... thoughts?

I dont have deep enough pockets for a purpose built toter or storage for a large vehicle but a smaller setup like this could be pretty sweet.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3265/5720395482_c512691800_z.jpg

It's awesome, but lacks power and needs a lot of work. I'm thinking of selling it at the end of the season. I made up a simple awning and screen for the rear door and it'd be cake to screen in the rest of the module. This past weekend I tossed a bunch of material off the side and set up an outdoor shower and a large cot sets up perfectly in the gurney space too. It's actually not a bad 1-person camper. And during the day it make a good hang-out.

Anyone on here ever make their own home made tow vehicle setup? I have seen a ton of e450 style box vans with the 7.3 diesel engines and the like for sale rather cheap.

I have a nice newer 1/2 ton truck that pulls my open trailer around fine but recently got a 30 foot camper and been kicking around the idea of a 24-28' enclosed car trailer.

Idea would be to get one of these said box vans, frame the roll up door section to make a complete enclosure, frame in a side rv style door and folding steps.

Put in some type of laminate floor/carpet and cabinets with a bed and some lighting with a roof top ac. would be great for any over night car hauling needs. Proly have 6-8k in a sleep style diesel hauler... thoughts?

I dont have deep enough pockets for a purpose built toter or storage for a large vehicle but a smaller setup like this could be pretty sweet.

What? You don't want to take out a second mortgage for a toter and double stacker like some do?

That is actually a really good idea, simple and full of function. If you go this route and need an extra set of hands to help build let me know, I would love to see how this comes together.

Yeah its on the possible list, there really are a ton of options and a few build threads here and there ive seen. Im going for a smaller approach just due to parking options.

but I have thought about shuttle bus, short bus, step van, ambulance chassis with a home build box, box van/truck.

The only down side to van is maintenance, it seems stuff that you encounter like injectors on a diesel would require the engine to be pulled or body lifted.

I just think all around a conversion like this is cheaper then either a living quarters trailer and buying a diesel truck or obviously some toter setup.

pockets arent that deep for a toter and I know I would not travel enough to use it. My open trailer does just fine, but hate leaving it someplace with the car on it while I sleep not knowing what the morning would bring

I've seen guys take small trailers and popups, remove the axles, and mount them directly to the frame of 1ton+ trucks. Maybe not exactly what you're suggesting, but functional.

Also, I knew you'd find your 1/2 ton ineffective at the towing you're doing! Find an old cummins.

Or this would be a good starting point maybe:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/misc-trucks-vehicles-sale/522935-03-gmc-c4500-top-kick-kodiak-hauler-nice.html

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/tooevl/photo1-29.jpg

Edited by spankis