School me on Merc E55's

oh8sti

Getting rid of the Denali. I don't enjoy driving it anymore and I miss speed. I'm only home every so often and I want to have something nice and fun but still practical. Merc E55 fits that bill nicely. I won't be doing any engine mods to it. Im mostly thinking wheels and aesthetics. I would like to keep it around $25,000. My parents are sending me out on my own now that I have a big boy job (kind of), so I don't wanna spend more than that.

What Im looking for:

White, Grey, Silver, Black (In that order of preference)

Less miles the better.

Well maintained (Documented)

Not Modded

Ideally Id like to trade my Denali for it.

What Im asking:

What things are common problems with these cars? I know we have several E55 brains on here.

What are the service intervals and what is done at those intervals? Im looking at a few in the 55k-70k miles range.

What are some personal experiences with E55's? Likes, dislikes?

• Confused 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intercooler pumps go bad

Air shocks can fail

2 spark plugs per cylinder when it's maintenance time

2 drain plugs makes oil changes a bit of a pain

Little problems never really big ones in my experience....as long as you don't go for some crazy aggressive tune

My wife loves ours, It's a love hate thing for me. I love drivers cars and the Benz is just so disconnected that it's never worked for me. It's a fast comfortable car it's just not "me". Goes like stink though

Ours is pretty mild just renntech pulley, renntech tune, K&N filters, lowered and 20's.

Intercooler pumps go bad

Air shocks can fail

2 spark plugs per cylinder when it's maintenance time

2 drain plugs makes oil changes a bit of a pain

Little problems never really big ones in my experience....as long as you don't go for some crazy aggressive tune

My wife loves ours, It's a love hate thing for me. I love drivers cars and the Benz is just so disconnected that it's never worked for me. It's a fast comfortable car it's just not "me". Goes like stink though

Ours is pretty mild just renntech pulley, renntech tune, K&N filters, lowered and 20's.

Thanks Andy. I plan on not doing anything to it other than maybe an exhaust. I don't wanna get into modding it. I did that with my STi and blew it up.

Thanks Andy. I plan on not doing anything to it other than maybe an exhaust. I don't wanna get into modding it. I did that with my STi and blew it up.

Why not spend a little more and get the E63 so much sexier IMO.

I have a 07 E63 I would be willing to make you a deal on. 65K range on miles and still under warranty. Probably be looking in the low $30K range if interested.

I will look into it, but I think you might be a tad out of my price range. Im buying this on my own, so I want to be strict on myself to stay in a budget. Thanks for the offer though!

Engine mount $100x2

Ic pump $100

Crank position sensor $50

16 spark plugs from amazon.com $125

Going thru three set of rear tires in six months, priceless!!

Seriously, this car is the total package. I used to go thru cars every six months or so, but I have my E55 now almost four years. I just can't find anything better to replace it with. The torque on this car is addicting. The drive train on this car is very bullet proof. It's all the little electronics that come with the car make it iffy. Try to avoid the '03 if you can.

I will look into it, but I think you might be a tad out of my price range. Im buying this on my own, so I want to be strict on myself to stay in a budget. Thanks for the offer though!

How does one go from a $40k+ Denali to now barely have the budget for a $25k used car?

How does one go from a $40k+ Denali to now barely have the budget for a $25k used car?

One goes from silver spoon with parents money to rusty old tin spoon with own money!

Seriously though, Its time for me to buy my own things now. Im 23 years old. I, along with my financial advisor have decided that 25k would be a smart budget. I travel the world for a living now and I'm not going to drop 50k and have a car sit and depreciate in a storage unit. So, 25k makes sense and i can get exactly what i want for that.

Engine mount $100x2

Ic pump $100

Crank position sensor $50

16 spark plugs from amazon.com $125

Going thru three set of rear tires in six months, priceless!!

Seriously, this car is the total package. I used to go thru cars every six months or so, but I have my E55 now almost four years. I just can't find anything better to replace it with. The torque on this car is addicting. The drive train on this car is very bullet proof. It's all the little electronics that come with the car make it iffy. Try to avoid the '03 if you can.

Thanks for the info and input on the car. Sounds like something i will enjoy!

One goes from silver spoon with parents money to rusty old tin spoon with own money!

Seriously though, Its time for me to buy my own things now. Im 23 years old. I, along with my financial advisor have decided that 25k would be a smart budget. I travel the world for a living now and I'm not going to drop 50k and have a car sit and depreciate in a storage unit. So, 25k makes sense and i can get exactly what i want for that.

How many miles a year do you plan to drive when in town? I wouldn't waste the money on a used E55 AMG. Get a Acura TL, TSX, ILX, etc. or something that is decent with a WARRANTY that you won't spend money on and can pay off quick. When you get some cash saved up and other things inline, then look for a toy. $25k on a car with no warranty and higher maintenance costs is setting you up for problems IMO.