1989 Civic Si - Autocrosser

31rx7

OPEN TO SELLING IN MULTIPLE CONFIGURATIONS

IF YOU HAVE A BUDGET NUMBER YOU ARE TRYING TO WORK WITHIN,

LET ME KNOW!

Here is info regarding my Civic that I am very likely selling. I say "very likely" as the market is somewhat saturated with these cars right now (see SCCAForums) and prices are depressed. This is a full prep, national level autocross car.

I might end up keeping it until spring, change classes to become an SMF car (I have most of the parts except wheels and Hoo-zha's), or just do STC one more time!

I can send you a recent dyno plot as well as the original ad for the car when I bought it in 2006. Jimmy Crawford (2009 and 2010 National Champ) built it. He did a lot of good things in the build, but the springs / bars were low end even for then and the "custom upper control arms" were a hack job. I have changed and upgraded a ton of stuff to make it solid and reliable.

Here's a description and the configuration I prefer to sell it in:

- 89 Civic Si

- Stock D16A6, built by Realtime Racing, recent valve job by Phillips Racing in Columbus (place Tipple, Robertson, Ruck, and others use). Dyno sheet shows 118 HP, 106 TQ.

- Chipped ECU with Mugen map modified by Bryan Rawlings. Bryan thinks he can tweak the map a bit more to maybe get additional HP out of it.

- DC Sports header

- High flow cat

- AEM CAI

- Performance exhaust, dumping before rear axle

- New Beck-Arnley reman Honda distributor

- Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley

- Lightweight battery plus spare battery.

- B&M Short Shifter; poly bushings in shift linkage

- Koni SPSS shocks, Ground Control sleeves

- Eibach springs, 600 front, 700 rear.

- No front Sway Bar

- Rear Suspension Techniques Adjustable Sway Bar

- Front Skunk2 adjustable upper control arms

- Rear Ingalls Engineering adjustable upper control arms

- Mugen hard rubber bushings throughout

- Set of Kosei K-1 15x7 wheels OR Rota Slipstream wheels 15x7.5 wheels

- 6 Toyo R1R 195/50-15 tires, about 4/32 tread.

- 2 sets of Toyo R1R's with low tread, good for two to four events each.

- Momo Steering Wheel

- Corbeau drivers seat

- Schroth Harness

- Recent maintenance includes new front hubs and bearings in June 2012, new rear hubs 2011, new brake hydraulics throughout in 2012 (MC, calipers, wheel cyinders), valve job / head refresh by Phillips Racing, transmission rebuilt last year by Bone (Honda Transmission guru - does Tipple's, Ruck's, others), new Honda clutch and pressure place in 2011

- Probably more stuff that I have forgotten.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/31rx7/2012%20SCCA%20Lincoln%20Spring%20Nationals/IMG00298-20120524-19591.jpg

Pictures from the past 6 years are on http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/31rx7/ View all albums.

Price: $5,500

I had the following parts on the car during the past year, and my plans are to convert some of them over to my CRX road race car and sell the others on the open market. However, I will sell these with the car if somebody is interested. The prices below are somewhat close to new price because if I sell them with the car, I have to turn around and buy new (Bisi, shocks, exhaust, sway bar). I won't sell the SSR's separate from the car until the car sells.

- SSR 15x7.5 wheels. 9.1 lbs, unobtanium - $1500

- Bisimoto header, ceramic coated with high flow cat. Not sure if it generates more power, but it is light and pretty! $1000

- Light, quiet, stainless Coastal Fabrication exhaust - $500

- Koni 3011 double adjustable race shocks - $1900

- ASR adjustable rear sway bar - $500

The weight of the car as raced this year with 2/3 tank of gas was 1995 lbs. I suspect the weight in the configuration I show above would be about 2020 lbs. or so. There's a few things you could do to pull another 15 lbs out of it.

Positive aspects of this particular car:

- The car has national trophy capability, even with a hack driver like me. Kathy smoked me by 1.2 this year in Lincoln, and usually I am 2 seconds ahead of her on concrete.

- Light, truly rust free, unibody, straight as an arrow.

- Engine is strong, 118.6 hp on the dyno, and 106 torque (dyno sheet)

- Engine was professionally built (Realtime Racing in Wisconsin). Compression, leakdown all good.

- Has not seen Ohio winters; was a California car until purchased by Jimmy and shipped to Wisconsin.

- LEGAL

- Clean title

Negative aspects of car:

- Driver's seat is not the best. I like it because if fits me, but others don't. You may want to change it.

- The car has 202k miles on it and is no show car or beauty queen. I just kept slapping on decals as I got them, and so it's a bit tacky. But, it fits in well on the STC grid. It has 23 years of dings and dents. The hood and front fenders are the worst.

- The interior is a bit worn, but not terrible.

- I assume the new owner will drive it to events. I know the brake lights, turn signals, headlights, wipers all work. I know the horn and rear wiper do not work.

- The other negative is the reality of a 23 year old car that you drive the snot out of. The stuff that goes wrong is the stuff you wouldn't anticipate but happens due to age.

If you are interested, I'd like to get the deal done soon so I can confirm plans for next year. I have a couple other folks who have interest but no $$ yet. One guy in particular wants to buy just the shell so he can use it for an SMF build - I would keep the engine, transmisison, all suspension, etc. This would really work for me as I can use the engine and tranny in my CRX.

I may flex a little on price, but the reality is I can convert it to street car for $3500 - $4000 and sell the remaining parts for $2k - $3k. There are other cars that come available from time to time, and you can use those as a basis of comparison. The stuff under $4500 tends to have rust or a much lower level of prep.

I am open to certain items for partial trades (vintage motorcycles, high end acoustic guitars, open race car trailer, collector / classic street cars, high end vintage audio, etc.), but really prefer a predominantly cash sale as I need the money for my CRX.

I only advertised on the OVR SCCA site although I do have a discussion thread on RoadRaceAutoX.

Give me a call if you want to talk.

Rich Grunenwald

614 FiveHundred&SixtyOne 3412

Thanks guys. As of now, I have no serious buyers. Only lookers.

Don't make me turn this back into a street car just to sell to some ricer punk kid.

I can take off the suspension parts, trick header and exhaust, and so on, but I can't undo the Mugen suspension bushings or the Realtime Racing built engine.

I would prefer to not to see it go to waste if at all possible.

By the way, I will have it out on Saturday at the OVR autocross at National Trails.