M105A2 Restoration

Tractor

The M35A2 truck I picked up back in winter came with a not so great condition M105A2 trailer. The truck has been doing well except the generator stopped charging, which I think I fixed today, but will have to test it. There were some wires disconnected inside the regulator.

The trailer turned out to be a very awesome find for me. Its a 1960 model and after sanding some paint I found unit markings from the West Virginia Nation Guard 1092 Engineering Battalion Head Quarters. That is where my dad served in the Vietnam Era so its pretty cool that it found its way into my hand.

Looks like this except more rust

http://www.mvcconline.org/catagory3/images/Jon%20Hoff/m105.jpg

I am going to be restoring the trailer to serviceable condition. Currently it is rusty and the air brakes don't seem to be working.

So far I've been able to remove the cover racks and bows and repair the parking brake system. Today I cut out a very badly rusted area, welded in new sheet metal, and prepped it for finishing. I've still got a lot of loose rust/paint to sand off then I'll be painting it to match my truck and put the West Virginia markings back on it.

I keep meaning to take some photos now that I've got the whole thing back together and the cover on it. Maybe after I put the generator back in tomorrow. I really need a garage big enough to work on it in.

I don't think they do well behind anything. Very heavy trailer for being so compact and backing up with one is a special kind of fun, especially with a duece because you can't see the damn thing until its already crooked.

I don't think they do well behind anything. Very heavy trailer for being so compact and backing up with one is a special kind of fun, especially with a duece because you can't see the damn thing until its already crooked.

newb....

:lol: bring on the pics. love this thing!!

I've seen a lot of build ups on converting them into campers and using them for camping. It would make a great trailer to pull along on a long trail ride. I can't see it working out well in Ohio especially on wet days. The unladen trailer is 3Klbs and most trail rigs have a hard enough time moving over wet terrain. Out west or some other large region they would be awesome though.

My plan is to also use mine for camping. I'll sleep in the duece bed and use the trailer to haul our gear when the family is along for the trip.

Very cool. Those things are very popular with the offroad overland people. They make great camping trailers!

steelsoldiers.com and craigslist has them listed for a couple hundred bucks.

The downside is the brakes are air actuated and the lighting is 24v. The electrical stuff is easy to convert and could be done by simply changing the bulbs and installing a standard trailer connector. The brakes on the other hand are much more expensive to convert, but doable.