Spotting scopes

Mojoe

I'm looking to pick up a spotting scopes. I want at least a 20x60, prefer a 20x 80, or 90. I don't want to spend more than mid $200's, with tri pod. The lighter the better. Prefer it has a case. Nothing that is over all big and bulky. I have limited time on the net or to go out and shop around because I'm at a school for a few more weeks, down here in Arkansas. I'm not against buying used, but it would need to be the right one.

From what I have been able to find out, the biggest issue with the lower price range scopes, is that the image clarity suffers at distances over 400m. There are a ton of low end companies putting a product out there that fits what I'm looking for, by the numbers. At this point, I'm just over whelmed to be able to feel good about saying, "I'll take that one".

I would like to see what CR's thoughts/experiences are. And there might be someone who reads this looking to get rid of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

You get what you pay for when it comes to spotting scopes, and unfortunately, a 'useful' spotting scope is generally $$$. That said, I have heard great things about Vortex as an entry level 'good' scope.

What exactly are you trying to see? If you're looking for bullet holes in paper at distance, you'll need something fairly decent and clear.

I am looking for impact on paper, or near by should that be te case. That's why I mentioned my concern for lower end scopes and image clarity. I'm looking for 400-800M for good vision.

I have seem a few Vortex in my searching. Exactly what you posted is why I mead the tread. Without going to a higher price, I haven't heard whatight be good. Thanks

You get what you pay for when it comes to spotting scopes, and unfortunately, a 'useful' spotting scope is generally $$$. That said, I have heard great things about Vortex as an entry level 'good' scope.

What exactly are you trying to see? If you're looking for bullet holes in paper at distance, you'll need something fairly decent and clear.

+1

I bought a Mark 4 SS for around the same price as my Mark 4 LR/T -- sometimes I regret it as that $$$ could have went towards a US Optics or S&B.

Curious to see how it works out -- hopefully you won't have to mount it upside down...and it has enough clarity to pick up impacts.