Flip to side

timmy43016

Hey All...

Need some advice. I have a PSA .223/5.56 upper with a fixed front site post. I have a flat top with flip up rears. I also have a Trijicon 1x reflex perfect co-witnessed. I really want a little magnification of 3x-5x that I can use when I want it.

The question is...I have been looking for a good flip to side to add on. I would love an EOTech, but having a hard time justifying 550 dollars for it (at that I might as well spend the extra 400 and get a 4X32 Triji with attached reflex. I was looking at the Vortex VM3 Magnifier with swing mount, but if you look at how it swings, it swings the optics almost in front of my non-optic using eye and from the way it looks, might obstruct vision if I am keeping both eyes open.

If you watch this video you can see how it swings to the side. Love the swing action, but feel like swinging to the left seems counter intuitive to me. http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/vmx3_with_swing_mount_combo

I want a good flip to side mount and optic that wont break the bank, but wont break because the base is all plastic after 50 rounds. Any suggestions??? Infidel...any suggestions? I have no problem taking used or decommed mil-spec either. Even a refurbed EOTech is still 500.

Had an eotech setup. G23FTS. There is a reason they cost so much. You will hate yourself for going cheap on optics.

UGH. I agree. I am looking for a middle of the road that will not have the shadows on the side (if you know what I mean) like cheap optics do.

That mount is an American Defense unit, Primary arms sells them for around a $100. I have one with Primary Arms 3x but no time behind it yet. Just as a heads up you could put the mount on the other side and have it swivel right, mount swivels both ways.

I honestly didnt think to mount on the other side. I just went off the "here is how it works" demo in the video. Swiveling backwards I wonder if the optic will be offset though if that makes sense. As in the the mount is set a half inch backwards then when i flip, the offset will be backwards pushing forward a half inch making clearance an issue.

You may be better to tell me if the swivel is centered since you have one already.

Had an eotech setup. G23FTS. There is a reason they cost so much. You will hate yourself for going cheap on optics.

Being in Savannah...you know of any used mil-spec or pawn shops being on a base that have anything? Im am a total cheap ass and hate to pay full price. :) There are a couple gun shows coming to Westland/Hilliard in Dec that I will check out prior to buying unless i see a stupid deal prior to.

I honestly didnt think to mount on the other side. I just went off the "here is how it works" demo in the video. Swiveling backwards I wonder if the optic will be offset though if that makes sense. As in the the mount is set a half inch backwards then when i flip, the offset will be backwards pushing forward a half inch making clearance an issue.

You may be better to tell me if the swivel is centered since you have one already.

Center swivel

Being in Savannah...you know of any used mil-spec or pawn shops being on a base that have anything? Im am a total cheap ass and hate to pay full price. :) There are a couple gun shows coming to Westland/Hilliard in Dec that I will check out prior to buying unless i see a stupid deal prior to.

Without trying to start another CR political war. Every single gun store/ pawn shop jacked the prices up this week. Guys on base pay too much to begin with and then try and recoup all of it when their wives find out. I will keep an eye out. I've used 2x512's, a 517, a 552, and an exps3 with the fts 3x. All on a 16" AR and they were pretty awesome. If for whatever reason you come across $1500 look into a leupold HAMR.