Buffering a 870 with leftover AR parts

Cereal_Killer

I just bought a NEF pardner pump and also picked up a mesa Leo stock adapter for the 870. I have a buffer/MOE stock I plan on using but then I saw the new recoil buffer mesa is selling and wonder why I can't Just use the AR buffer and spring in the AR tube that I'll already be using? Maybe get a heavy buffer for the blowback carbines?

Oh boy, ugh let me put this way. When using the LEO adpater all you need to use is the AR buffer tube and jam nut, nothing else. With the recoil reducing system you are seeing with Mesa is the Endine system that looks like a buffer tube but isn't. Its basically a hydraulic piston that your MOE stock attaches to.

Buying a buffer and buffer spring and putting it in a stock tube will just make noise, not to mention good luck getting it in there.

*EDIT*

The pic mid page and the one furthest to the right is the shotgun unit.

http://www.enidine-defense.com/Recoilmain.html

Well then even if a standard buffer wouldn't so anything (I know it wouldnt be physically pushing on something like in an AR it just seemed like maybe it would absorbe some of the inertia and dampen it) would a hydraulic buffer setup from an AR not be the same exact thing as the mesa buffer system just that the mesa is built for that application.

And yes I understand that technically you only use the tube, lock ring and stock but why would an AR buffer not dampen some of the recoil? When the trigger is pulled and the gun begins to recoil back the buffer would be moving as well, when the gun hits the shooters shoulder and stops moving rearwards the buffer would be able to continue farther against the spring, taking some of the force out of the hit. Would that not technically work like that?

Edit:

And yes I realize that a 3.9oz piece of metal isn't going to do much, not like the 35% reduction in felt recoil I've seen the mesa hydraulic buffer claiming, but would it really not do anything at all? We're talking free spare parts here, the only thing I had to buy was the moe stock and the leo adapter, I had a complete spare buffer setup on hand so if it would provide even a couple % reduction in recoil I'd take that.

The buffer on an AR is not there to dampen recoil. It is there to allow the bolt carrier group to slide backwards after firing a round, then shove it back into place. This system would do nothing of use on any other platform. If you want to reduce recoil on an 870 then get a Knoxx Stock.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Stocks-KNOXX,10.htm

Well then even if a standard buffer wouldn't so anything (I know it wouldnt be physically pushing on something like in an AR it just seemed like maybe it would absorbe some of the inertia and dampen it) would a hydraulic buffer setup from an AR not be the same exact thing as the mesa buffer system just that the mesa is built for that application.

And yes I understand that technically you only use the tube, lock ring and stock but why would an AR buffer not dampen some of the recoil? When the trigger is pulled and the gun begins to recoil back the buffer would be moving as well, when the gun hits the shooters shoulder and stops moving rearwards the buffer would be able to continue farther against the spring, taking some of the force out of the hit. Would that not technically work like that?

Edit:

And yes I realize that a 3.9oz piece of metal isn't going to do much, not like the 35% reduction in felt recoil I've seen the mesa hydraulic buffer claiming, but would it really not do anything at all? We're talking free spare parts here, the only thing I had to buy was the moe stock and the leo adapter, I had a complete spare buffer setup on hand so if it would provide even a couple % reduction in recoil I'd take that.

It wont work because its not connected to moving parts. Essentially your turning it into a shake weight, it will just do whatever it wants without something pushing back.

Like Copperhead stated the buffer spring in the AR soaks some of the recoil up but its main job is to return the bolt back to the closed position, with the weight of the buffer and spring tension playing a factor on cycle rates. Let me get some pictures of my Mesa setup on the 970