1911 kit questions

Erica

I have wanted a 1911 for a long time and thought it might be cool to build one. I don't have any experience other than taking my guns apart and putting them back together. Any ideas on a good kit to get or is this just a bad idea?

Maybe start with something easier ....... like building a wrist watch using only chopsticks or making an automatic transmission from things found on a woodland hike.

Seriously, how much "owner pride" would you have from a 1911 that rattles when you shake it?

Maybe start with something easier ....... like building a wrist watch using only chopsticks or making an automatic transmission from things found on a woodland hike.

Seriously, how much "owner pride" would you have from a 1911 that rattles when you shake it?

This.

Try legos.

Leave things that go boom and save your life to the pros.

I believe your interest is genuine, Erica. But if you take the time to google what Kyle mentioned about the Vickers courses, you'll see that to build a decent, basic 1911 from parts is done after over a week of classes costing nearly 5k. Is that your level of commitment?

From the website:

1911 operator – 2 days / $450 1 day of range drills using a 1911 pistol; drills are specifically designed and tailored to highlight key features of using a 1911 pistol. The 2nd day begins with detail disassembly and assembly along with an operator level troubleshooting class to allow the end user to recognize problems that may develop – I generally do some on the spot gunsmithing on students guns that is included – the day wraps up with some range fire to highlight test fire procedures. This class has been very positively received Max class size is 16

1911 armorer – 3 days – $1100 This class takes things to the next level beyond the operators class in terms of troubleshooting , identifying, and fixing problems that may develop with your 1911. Fit and function and replacement/tuning of various parts are discussed such as safeties, triggers, hammers and sears , mag catches, check and correct barrel fit, complete reliablility work, extractors, ejectors, sights, etc. . An individual will be able to completely maintain and do limited custom work on a 1911 pistol after this class. In addition zeroing and test fire procedures are discussed. No 1911 specific range fire beyond zeroing and test fire is planned into the schedule but an extra day can be added to do so if the class desires. Max class size is 12 – in addition a specific tool and part list (student supplied) is part of this course

1911 gunsmithing; – 6 days- $2375 This picks up where the armorers course leaves off and allows the student to build a complete custom 1911 from a box of oversize gunsmith fit parts; complete details of fitting an oversize match barrel, slide to frame fit, fitting and blending thumb and grip safeties, trigger job, complete blending of all components for a custom pistol are covered. In addition metal checkering is discussed and practiced on a limited scale. Recommended parts and sources are also covered. This is the complete package and is a great start to anyone wanting to do get into building custom 1911′s. Students of this course have had very positive comments thus far. Max class size is 7 and a specific tool and part list (student supplied) is part of this course.

For the time and expense of learning the skills needed to build your own 1911, you could easily buy a top-of-the-line Wilson Combat Custom 1911.

I considered a 1911 build project a while ago. I chose not to but I'll share what I researched.

First off, building a 1911 isn't like building other things, like furniture or adding bolt-on parts to a car. True "drop-in" parts don't exist, even the pre-fit kits require varying degrees of filing and measuring to get proper fitment. Everything takes some custom fitment work and some parts have very critical tolerances and geometry that must be correct. Some critical parts require special tools to be used.

If you have no experience at all I would suggest starting small. I'd recommend getting a cheap 1911, like a basic Rock Island Armory, and then purchasing replacement parts one at a time and working on fitting those to the pistol. The small parts take some sanding, filing or dremel work to be fit. After the small parts, move on to a pre-fit barrel/bushing kit and try to fit that to your pistol. Proper fitment requires a barrel lug cutting tool and measuring instruments and gauges. After completing that you'll have skills and knowledge to be prepared to successfully tackle a complete build.

If you're good with learning by yourself, there are many online resources to look for information for one. Various 1911 forums have gunsmithing sections that have a wealth of information. Many builders comment that the Jerry Kuhnhausen books are very helpful and their primary reference. Brownell's website has an extensive 1911 gunsmithing section as well.

This is a 1911 we're talking about, not an AR. Almost every part will have to be fit. I've put a new MSH on my kimber and that was enough filing, checking, filing, checking for me to never want to take on an entire 1911.