Universal backup cameras

starkmaster03

I've used the ones Advance Auto Parts sells (naturally). They work great. The only issue I've run into is powering the camera by the reverse light like the instructions say. The screen takes a moment to kick on when the camera gets power, so when you're shifting in and out of reverse a lot it gets kind of annoying waiting fro the screen to turn on. So what I do is run a constant power feed to the camera; when the car is on, the camera is on. We have a display with one of these cameras that runs 24/7 so it can definitely handle being on whenever the car is running.

Is that one of the Peak ones? They were going to get me of the 3.5" one's from autozone because they are on sale but online I can find 7" Peak ones for $25 more. Do you know if they do night vision?

No IR or anything, but it's sensitive enough that I don't have any troubles at night. My reverse lights throw enough to illuminate any obstacles.

I would like to put one on the back of my trailer

I've been seeing alot like this that would work great and they you can get extensions for trailers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-REAR-VIEW-KIT-7-LCD-4pin-MONITOR-2-CCD-IR-REVERSING-CAMERAS-BACKUP-SYSTEM-/121010188185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2cc4ef99

No IR or anything, but it's sensitive enough that I don't have any troubles at night. My reverse lights throw enough to illuminate any obstacles.

I'm not so concerned about the night vision. My main use is just parking my truck which I normally back in but with it lifted, it's hard to judge the distance. I normally can only see the roof of the car behind me which makes it hard to judge where their bumper is. The only car I've backed into was my own so I've decided that I wanted to get one.

Really considering this one

http://www.offerize.com/peak-pkc0bu7-7-wireless-back-up-camera-kit/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=23%20Dec%202012%2019:14

I'm not so concerned about the night vision. My main use is just parking my truck which I normally back in but with it lifted, it's hard to judge the distance. I normally can only see the roof of the car behind me which makes it hard to judge where their bumper is. The only car I've backed into was my own so I've decided that I wanted to get one.

Really considering this one

http://www.offerize.com/peak-pkc0bu7-7-wireless-back-up-camera-kit/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=23%20Dec%202012%2019:14

We have the 3.5 and the 4.3, but not the 7" (though I wonder if that's the 4.3 and they're measuring the casing and not just the screen, because that looks just like the 4.3 we carry) That's still a good price though.

I would like to put one on the back of my trailer

The peak ones are wireless. There's a transmitter for the camera and the screen has an internal reciever. Wiring one for a trailer, especially one with an Aux power circuit (7-lead plug/emergency trailer brake box), is a piece of cake. The screen mounts with a suction cup and plugs into a lighter socket.

Where do you work? Isn't the 4.3 the GPS model?

I work at the Sawmill Advance, just south of 270. The 4.3" peak camera we have is just a backup camera. And looking at the unit on the floor, it has the exact same proportions (screen vs bracket) as the one pictured. So I think the 7" measurement is wrong.

We used to carry a GPS/Backup camera system, but my store doesn't have it any more. I'm not sure if other stores still have it.

I work at the Sawmill Advance, just south of 270. The 4.3" peak camera we have is just a backup camera. And looking at the unit on the floor, it has the exact same proportions (screen vs bracket) as the one pictured. So I think the 7" measurement is wrong.

We used to carry a GPS/Backup camera system, but my store doesn't have it any more. I'm not sure if other stores still have it.

Do you know how much you sell your 4.3" for?

not sure on the cost difference, but having the screen built in to the rearview mirror is really nice IMO despite the small screen size.

in my experience, screen size is of minimal importance but i have good eyes

I agree and was originally looking at this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Peak-Rear-view-wireless-back-up-camera-system-with-3-1-2-in-built-in-monitor/_/N-26n7?itemIdentifier=251335_0_0_

I use the good old fashioned "eyes" model. Works really well, and it's free.

I've only ever used the systems that are OEM, they work, but I still found myself, even after a year, doing it the old fashioned way. I imagine after so long you begin to trust it though.

The eyes model doesn't do rear bumper clearance as well. Especially on high-tailed cars.

• 4 weeks later...