1JZ No Spark

Geeesammy

Figured I'd post in here, since I am now at a loss as far as what I may have missed checking.

Long story short I thought the Rack and Pinion blew a seal, after I got it up on the stands and doing some looking I found it was just a hose that had blown or slipped off. I figured while I had it up in the air I might as well replace my alternator, water pump, and timing belt since I had a day or two off and they needed done.

Well, I took the battery out, and when I did that I saw the nastiest nest of wiring imaginable around the battery leading to the fuse box. I was debating on trying to clean it up, but I didn't and let it be, so i did take a few grounds off and clean it up a bit. Other than that I only touched one other electrical piece which looked like a horn related to the alarm system which isn't functional anyways. I got the upper timing cover off and the upper hose as well, and rotated the motor to TDC to get started. Ended up not doing it due to the alternator bolt being a major bitch and not coming out, so I left it and ended up not doing the job until warmer weather and I had more time.

I put everything back together and topped off my P/S resovoir while it was still on the stands and fired it up. It ran like shit and had a sputtering idle so I let it run as long as i need to crank the wheel each way one time. Got it back down on the ground and went to start it, nothing. Crank fine, and I'm definitely getting fuel, but no spark at all. I check all fuses, grounds and they are all good. I'm hoping it's not the ignitor, but I have a strong feeling it may be.

Cliffs- No spark on my engine

-Don't know what the hell else to check

-About to tow the car and get scrap weight.

See if it's getting power when cranking. The problem is it sounds like you have a hornets nest of wiring to deal with. I would check to see if your fuse panel is getting power, fuel pump, ignitor, etc and go from there. Cars with swapped engines are always a PIA to trouble shoot.

If you want it gone cheap, I can have it towed away to my place dead serious. You probably just need to take a few minutes to cool off so you can focus on getting the car running.

Got $100 on it.

This is a 1jz mk3 right? Are you still using the ignitor from the 7m-gte?

This one below

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/bwd/cbe694_1.jpg

Is that the 7M or 2J ignitor?

Yes, it's 1jz. No idea which ignitor they decided to use.

See if it's getting power when cranking. The problem is it sounds like you have a hornets nest of wiring to deal with. I would check to see if your fuse panel is getting power, fuel pump, ignitor, etc and go from there. Cars with swapped engines are always a PIA to trouble shoot.

If you want it gone cheap, I can have it towed away to my place dead serious. You probably just need to take a few minutes to cool off so you can focus on getting the car running.

Fuel is not an issue im definitely getting fuel.

Now I've pulled all the coils and have the plugs in the coils, grounded to the head, and im getting spark, but hard telling which, i'll have to setup my camera to see which.

If I can't get it figured out I'm going to have to take it somewhere. I don't have the time beyond today and tommorow to fuck with it really.

Is that the 7M or 2J ignitor?

Yes, it's 1jz. No idea which ignitor they decided to use.

Thats the 7m-gte ignitor. You dont know which they used? A lot of times the 7m ignitors will have a weak ground and you can crack the case apart, and run your own thicker ground and that cures a lot of low idle misses and funky issues with spark.

Ill go see if i can find the writeup.

Thats the 7m-gte ignitor. You dont know which they used? A lot of times the 7m ignitors will have a weak ground and you can crack the case apart, and run your own thicker ground and that cures a lot of low idle misses and funky issues with spark.

Ill go see if i can find the writeup.

That definitely isn't the ignitor that is in it now. At least doesn't look like it to me. I'll post up a pic in a few after I cool down

They probably used the 2jz ignitor, just wasnt sure and figured it was worth checking.

I looked up an ignitor for a 2003 IS300 and it looks identical to the one in there now.

Swapped in new plugs after i got it all cleared out of fuel and still nothing.

I looked up an ignitor for a 2003 IS300 and it looks identical to the one in there now.

Swapped in new plugs after i got it all cleared out of fuel and still nothing.

You are getting spark and fuel though correct?

I got a few 2JZ ignitors laying around if you want to swap one out and see if she fires.

He said earlier he was getting spark, so i dont think its ignitor related.

I got a few 2JZ ignitors laying around if you want to swap one out and see if she fires.

Thanks for the offer, got it to fire up, I believe the fact my already shitty plugs compounded with it trying to re-learn idle resulted in it getting flooded out. In the future I will keep you in mind if I ever run into another issue, and I appreciate the offer.

You are getting spark and fuel though correct?

He said earlier he was getting spark, so i dont think its ignitor related.

Yes, just too much fuel, and my plugs were old and needed changed. Runs now, thanks for the advice though.

Did you screw with the cps at all?

Not at all. All settings to my knowledge were the same before and after

check the cps sensor is plugged in and also check your cam sensors. most 1jz harnesses are extremely brittle so you may have a broken wire somewhere.

It's running fine, and much better now. I really noticed how nasty the wires were today and yesterday. Almost looks like a 7m and 1J harness meshed together due to all the extra plug's sitting around. Almost makes me worry

your more than likely right. They spliced the 1jz engine harness into the 7m body harness you have. As long as they connections are good you should be fine. I would spend sometime researching the 1jz harness swap and double check their work. I'm glad you got it all figured out.

your more than likely right. They spliced the 1jz engine harness into the 7m body harness you have. As long as they connections are good you should be fine. I would spend sometime researching the 1jz harness swap and double check their work. I'm glad you got it all figured out.

I've been reading up on it some tonight. I'm likely just going to daily it until school is done, and then park it and throw a 2J in it.