Obama's Gun Safety Speech 1/16

Ahmadi6490

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/16/heres-the-full-text-of-obamas-gun-press-conference/

This is Obama speaking:

These are a few of the 23 executive actions that I’m announcing today. But as important as these steps are, they are in no way a substitute for action from members of Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, Congress, too, must act — and Congress must act soon. And I’m calling on Congress to pass some very specific proposals right away.

First: It’s time for Congress to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. (Applause.) The law already requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks, and over the last 14 years that’s kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. But it’s hard to enforce that law when as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check. That’s not safe. That’s not smart. It’s not fair to responsible gun buyers or sellers.

If you want to buy a gun — whether it’s from a licensed dealer or a private seller — you should at least have to show you are not a felon or somebody legally prohibited from buying one. This is common sense. And an overwhelming majority of Americans agree with us on the need for universal background checks — including more than 70 percent of the National Rifle Association’s members, according to one survey. So there’s no reason we can’t do this.

Second: Congress should restore a ban on military-style assault weapons, and a 10-round limit for magazines. (Applause.) The type of assault rifle used in Aurora, for example, when paired with high-capacity magazines, has one purpose — to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible; to do as much damage, using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage.

And that’s what allowed the gunman in Aurora to shoot 70 people — 70 people — killing 12 in a matter of minutes. Weapons designed for the theater of war have no place in a movie theater. A majority of Americans agree with us on this.

I wonder what the other 21 orders are? Do you think they plan on just trying to ban the imported/production assault rifles or they are trying to take them even from current owners aka sale to state mandatory in certain time span?

Riddle me this - how do you enforce "universal background checks" and "closing the gun show loophole" without a national gun registry?

Either its an unenforceable law or there will be a registry

Here's the dog and pony show:

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

My take on it:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

They don't already do this?

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

Tossing HIPAA, along with personal privacy, out the window. Currently health care people can only share information with the police if its for something they are required to, like gun shot wounds. I'm guessing this is a gray area that's dependent on local law. Of course, nobody is being required to answer any doctor's questions and if I personally were to have a doctor start asking me about anything not directly related to why I'm there I would certainly not go back to that doctor.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

Again, they don't already do that? Sounds like they couldn't come up with a way to force the issue, either. Weakness on their end.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

The Attorney General certainly handled Fast and Furious well, so let's try it again.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

Ohio law specifically prohibits this in the case of CCW. Sounds like a back door way to "forget" to return lawful people's guns.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

They already know how to do this :dumb:

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

The NRA took care of that back in 1988, A+ for effort though.

http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Ok, I can't argue too much over this considering gun locks that are required to be given with new guns are all junk that get thrown out because they don't work, and because Stack-on safes have inherent flaws that allow them to be opened quite easily without the key (search youtube)

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

And then what?

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

Eric Holder, here's your homework assignment. It won't be graded though, so don't worry too much.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

Why didn't they bother doing this 4 years ago when the spot opened up?

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

Why wasn't this done after Columbine? Oh wait, gun free zones, that's right.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Because gun crimes are more important than any other violent crimes.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

The CDC is currently banned from doing this by law. Also, are they trying to say gun ownership is a disease? I don't see why the CDC would have anything to do with gun owners.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

Eric Holder, here's your next homework assignment. This one will be passed out to the public so it will be graded.

Also, no incentive for the public sector to follow through on this one. If the money isn't there they won't give a shit.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

It also doesn't prohibit patients from telling the doctors to go fuck themselves. It's starting to sound more like this stuff is geared towards psychiatrists.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

Here we go, this is aimed straight at the guy in Aurora. He was saying all kinds of shit to his psychiatrist about killing people and she thought HIPAA prevented her from reporting it. As above, this is HIPAA grey area but they are probably correct. My issue is that once a person who needs mental help is reported to the police for this, they get tossed into the criminal system and forgotten about when they most likely could get some real help and eventually reintegrate into society. Wrong approach here.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

Too little, too late. Will be totally underfunded and under implemented within a year.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

Shouldn't this be devised before a building is in use?

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

They don't already know what they cover? Or are they not following procedure?

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

And how many ACA exchanges have actually been set up? To my knowledge, none in Ohio. More promotion of Obamacare.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

Let's finish what we started nearly 4 years ago!

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan.

Let's get on Oprah and talk this through. Maybe if we talk about things some more, people will start to feel better and there will be less mental health issues.

Cliffs: Nothing plus nothing equals nothing.

At the Federal level there will be no assault weapons ban. There will be no magazine capacity ban. There may be a push for "universal background checks" aka "gun show loophole" closure, but this will be unenforceable because it would only work with a national registry which won't happen. Nothing to see here folks, move along...

Riddle me this - how do you enforce "universal background checks" and "closing the gun show loophole" without a national gun registry?

Either its an unenforceable law or there will be a registry

Here's the dog and pony show:

There is already kind of a registry when they run a 4473 when you buy a gun at the gun store. If the FBI or ATF run a trace on that serial number, it will get traced to the last person to purchase that gun that filled out a form 4473. Is it unenforceable? Yeap, I don't see how they can track hundreds of millions of gun that already out there with out having everyone register their firearms with the BATFE. The only other way they could do it is only apply it to guns purchased after the date the law went to effect. If you bought a New Gun, you sold it without a background check to someone else and it is used in a crime, the gun gets traced back to you, you get charged with a felony. I honestly have no problem with universal background checks for all gun purchases if they can do it without creating a database on who has what gun. If they can put it in the bill that form 4473 can only be used to trace guns committed in crime and not used as a national gun registry, that would be fine with me.

the whole assault weapon deal or a 10 round magazine, give me a break... if someone wants to shoot up a theatre, they will just carry extra magazines, limiting the magazine size does nothing and is just retarded

or they can just buy the hundreds of millions of mags that are out in circulation.

I've never hated Obama before, I've certainly disagreed with him, disliked his policies and what have you. However watching him parade those children around the stage, with the letters? I can't think of an action by any president in my lifetime, more despicable, more calculating, more vacuously political. The children are tools for the agenda, and that's it. Disgusting.

However watching him parade those children around the stage, with the letters? I can't think of an action by any president in my lifetime, more despicable, more calculating, more vacuously political. The children are tools for the agenda, and that's it. Disgusting.

I wonder when is Obama going to publish his book, Mein Kampf Part deux.. lol

I've never hated Obama before, I've certainly disagreed with him, disliked his policies and what have you. However watching him parade those children around the stage, with the letters? I can't think of an action by any president in my lifetime, more despicable, more calculating, more vacuously political. The children are tools for the agenda, and that's it. Disgusting.

No, no. You don't understand. It's only disgusting if you reference *his* children.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nra-commercial-calls-obama-elitist-hypocrite-article-1.1241044

When it's your kids on the line, Obama = zero fucks given.

Spot on. Those kids should have been sitting in school learning, not sitting on stage as a prop.

the whole assault weapon deal or a 10 round magazine, give me a break... if someone wants to shoot up a theatre, they will just carry extra magazines, limiting the magazine size does nothing and is just retarded

Exactly if someone really wanted to do it they could just carry more. I still think it is going to be very very hard to get a universal background check + registry with so many private sales happening. Are they going to try and make consequences if you dont?!?