Coolant Reccomendations

Geeesammy

Once it warms up a bit I'm planning to replace the coolant in my GSXR. Last season was my first with this bike, and it seemed to heat up a bit quicker than most of everyone else's bike I was with. It's an '07 and has roughly 15,000 actual miles. The odo is off due to the sprockets...

Looking for something that is a good coolant for the street. Most of my riding is somewhat hard. I do plan on tracking it at some point this year, just not sure how soon. I've heard water wetter with water is awesome, along with just straight water wetter, and also have read a 50/50 with dex-cool and water is awesome as well.

Just was curious to see if anyone else had anything else they've had good luck with.

50/50 of some good old fashion green stuff! I guarantee I put more miles and race a lot more than you, and my bike is not stock. These bikes run hot from the factory, just the nature of having 12.8 compression ratio. It's not uncommon for them to hit the 220's and have the fans kick on at a stop light. If you are worried about it getting that hot, then run a toggle switch on the rad fan to keep it cool.

50/50 of some good old fashion green stuff! I guarantee I put more miles and race a lot more than you, and my bike is not stock. These bikes run hot from the factory, just the nature of having 12.8 compression ratio. It's not uncommon for them to hit the 220's and have the fans kick on at a stop light. If you are worried about it getting that hot, then run a toggle switch on the rad fan to keep it cool.

I would see 228's regularly while everyone else I was with was at 200-210 at most. I'm finicky as hell about temps. I've thought about sticking with green, but I've heard nightmares about track spills, fines, etc. Don't want to get into that kind of shit.

I honestly don't see you having a problem with track spills, it's quite uncommon for a bike to have that problem. The only way you are going to spill antifreeze on the track is if you crash. In which case a fine will be the least of your worries. Just buy you a gallon of pre mixed 50/50. Once the gallon is gone top off with water.

If you are still having doubts then run your fan on a switch. It's the best thing you can do for it. They cool off quick with the fan on.

What size is your bike? What mods? And do you drag race or road race?

I honestly don't see you having a problem with track spills, it's quite uncommon for a bike to have that problem. The only way you are going to spill antifreeze on the track is if you crash. In which case a fine will be the least of your worries. Just buy you a gallon of pre mixed 50/50. Once the gallon is gone top off with water.

If you are still having doubts then run your fan on a switch. It's the best thing you can do for it. They cool off quick with the fan on.

What size is your bike? What mods? And do you drag race or road race?

A switch isn't out of my realm of abilities, I just don't want to start running wires.

600cc, exhaust, power commander, -1 in the front, +2 In the back.

Planning on taking it down the strip once I get some leathers. Road racing is a possibility as well, but I'd rather not ride it to the track, then all the way back, so unfortunately it won't be a possibility until college is done in a few years.

Cool man, I'd deff get that thing lowered or at min a strap on the front if you plan to race it. I've been 10.0x's on a 600 lowered with pipe, pc3 and -1 +5 gearing.

I'm debating on getting a strap and possibly lowering links for the rear as well. Love how it rides OEM and I'm a fairly big guy, so lowering it will make it looks even more disproportionate that it already looks.

I'm curious to see what I could hit on the track. Never launched a bike on a strip, so it will be a nice learning experience. I really want to make sure I get the geometry dialed in right when and if I do lower it, I love the feel of it now

Get some adjustable links. You can raise and lower it as you please. As long as your under 200 I'm sure you can hit high 11's. The launch is by far the hardest and most important thing to get a good et from a bike. If I see ya at the track ill help you out lol The CR track rentals at national trails are prob your best bet, not too far from home and you can get as many passes as you want lol

Get some adjustable links. You can raise and lower it as you please. As long as your under 200 I'm sure you can hit high 11's. The launch is by far the hardest and most important thing to get a good et from a bike. If I see ya at the track ill help you out lol The CR track rentals at national trails are prob your best bet, not too far from home and you can get as many passes as you want lol

Under 200....FUCKING HAH

6'6" 260..... not happening lol

If you keep it in an attached garage in the winter, I would use water and water wetter only. If it has to sit out in the cold you need some antifreeze or you will have to reflush in the winter which can be a PITA. If you want to do a track day most groups require no antifreeze but its extremely fun so I think it's worth it.

If you just want to try drag racing I would go to a CR day or test and tune as is and see if you enjoy it before spending money. At your size and miles you should be looking more at rebuilding the suspension and setting it up for your weight. You bike is probably sprung for a 150 pound rider.

If you keep it in an attached garage in the winter, I would use water and water wetter only. If it has to sit out in the cold you need some antifreeze or you will have to reflush in the winter which can be a PITA. If you want to do a track day most groups require no antifreeze but its extremely fun so I think it's worth it.

If you just want to try drag racing I would go to a CR day or test and tune as is and see if you enjoy it before spending money. At your size and miles you should be looking more at rebuilding the suspension and setting it up for your weight. You bike is probably sprung for a 150 pound rider.

Shiet. I'd sell it before then.

If you can learn to DIY or have someone who can to help, new springs, fork oil, and fork seals can be done for under $300. FWIW the busa and zx14 are also under sprung for your size. It will make a dramatic difference if you ever do a road track.

If I had someone supervising I could likely get it some. Ill attempt a DIY on anything for a car. Two wheels I'm a little more worried about. The seals seem as if they were done recently. I've done a little research on what to look for as far as signs go they need to be replaced, and mine seem like they don't need to be.

• 4 weeks later...
If I had someone supervising I could likely get it some. Ill attempt a DIY on anything for a car. Two wheels I'm a little more worried about. The seals seem as if they were done recently. I've done a little research on what to look for as far as signs go they need to be replaced, and mine seem like they don't need to be.

i do spring swaps, have all the tools to do it, and the know how to go with it.

i can tell ya what ya need and where to get the stuff at the best price.

my labor is the cheapest youll find around too.

but screw that straight line stuff, keep it at stock height and do a track day on a real track like mid o or something. its alot more fun trust me!

also, any coolant 50/50 is fine. but another thing to replace is the brake fluid, for some reason everyone always overlooks changing out the brake fluid. it should be done once a year. and fork fluid should be changed our every year as well, or if you ride very little every 2 years. the older and more broken down the fluid is in the fork, the less it will effect the damping. fresh fluid, proper springs, and the correct sag set will transform that bike.