New Racing Apparel Business Market Research Questions

wagner

I am in the beginning stages of starting a small apparel company. This will be a company that is geared towards the automotive/racing market. Below I have some basic market research questions that I would appreciate some serious answers to.

What factors do you consider when purchasing automotive and racing apparel?

Do you like shirts that are more graphics based, or saying based?

What do you like or dislike about automotive and racing apparel currently on the market?

What would you like to see improved on in the current offerings for automotive and racing apparel?

What is the price range would you pay for automotive or racing apparel?

I am in the beginning stages of starting a small apparel company. This will be a company that is geared towards the automotive/racing market. Below I have some basic market research questions that I would appreciate some serious answers to.

price and theme of said object

saying based

What do you like or dislike about automotive and racing apparel currently on the market?

lots of tacky graphics, price

What would you like to see improved on in the current offerings for automotive and racing apparel?

no response

$20 is my general max, but for something very unique i will go to $40

answers above

Comfort, price, design.

Neither is more important to me, I appreciate a modest balance of both.

Tacky doucheness, broswag, etc. Anything Ken Block is a prime example.

More class. A jacket I can wear at autocross in the morning and dinner in the evening, for example.

$20 for a shirt or hat, more for other items on a case-by-case basis depending on material and design.

Answers in bold.

Fit, quality of print...is it going to be all faded after one wash cycle

Simple design and saying. But More saying with one or graphics are better

alot of the shirts are too busy, too much going on which will turn off certain people

More small tire/radial power adder shirts, pretty much stuff that is currently hot

I think for any tshirt 15-20 bucks is a good price point

[/Quote]

Answers above^

If you have good designs and a good website with cheap flat rate shipping you would be in good shape. Something like Rangerup has for their setup.

Same as above for me. I also like automotive related items that I can wear and still look like an adult.

This is something that I was really looking at. I don't want to put product out there that looks dated quickly.

I am a drag racer at heart, but I want to also address the auto-x and road racing markets as well. I would like to put shirts out there for bike guys too.

Really good information here so far and is falling in line with what I was thinking.

I never understood what actually went into making a t-shirt until I started researching this. Trying to keep the prices close to the range I want and put a quality product out there will be a tough balance to strike. My personal view is to sacrifice some profit to provide a quality product.

price and theme of t-shirt

saying based

The fit of the t-shirt is almost more important than the image on the t shirt. I will never buy a t shirt that fits like a trash bag.

More classics

$20-25

Quality, price, subject matter, style, fit.

Varies. As long as the overall design isn't tacky it will garner at least a consideration.

I don't wear much but most are either brand logos or car show t-shirts/club shirts.

Something new and fresh that won't fade into obscurity by next summer. Something that says, "I'm an enthusiast," and not "I'm a prick that knows everything about any type of vehicle ever and therefore better than you."

Too many variables. Is it a hat or a polo? T-shirt or a hoodie? I wouldn't pay more for automotive apparel than any other type of apparel I regularly purchase.

Answers above. Hope this helps.

The simple Homage type of shirts have been making a killing.

These shirts will have no more than 2 colors on them. Very simple, clean and as far from "bro" like as possible.

If things go smooth and there is a market for it a line of business casual line would be brought out. Something you can wear to the office or to a nice place to eat.

I am also playing with the idea of having a limited run of some designs or only offer them at certain times.

Things that have simple things on them, used in a complex way.

Graphics, but it depends on how meaningful the saying is. IE I would wear a Colin McRae "If in doubt, flat out." shirt, but not one that says "FULL PULL!"

Branding with a side of branding with branding sprinkled on top. See anything with Monster WRT/Hoonigan Racing Division on it.

I like automotive apparel that is more specific to types of racing and racing history rather than "HERES MY TEAM AND ALL OF MY SPONSORS".

Depends on how much I love the product. I have paid as much as $50 for stuff from Terra Firma Clothing as its hard to find a place that checks all of the boxes of stuff I like.

I own a lot of stuff and lots of people have commented on the stuff I wear from Terra Firma Clothing. They make rally inspired apparel that is not what you normally see right now, ie MRT/HRD. http://www.terrafirmaclothing.com/shop/

Material is a huge factor.

Simplicity, saying based

How company's put there logos on shit Material. Also I dislike the apparel with 17234786123892 company sponsors on them.

Better material.

I would pay more for better material and better fitting clothes.

It pisses me off when I buy a shirt for around 20 bucks and it shrinks on the first load of laundry rendering it a designated workout shirt.

Final words: Comfort and lasting quality I would be will to pay more for.

Nostalgia type t-shirts seem to sell. Whether cars or symbols/logos. Appeals to both old and young as well.

As for price $20~30. $30 being if a better quality material is used, like a 30/1 spun cotton. That way you get the softer feel and seems to be a better product. Instead of a 'harder' cotton with just a press graphic. Might want to look into a dye print for instant quality

I

What factors do you consider when purchasing automotive and racing apparel? If i have it or love it. not some random stuff though have to relate to it.

saying with or SMALL graphics nothing too big and crazy

What do you like or dislike about automotive and racing apparel currently on the market? half the stuff is too crazy

What would you like to see improved on in the current offerings for automotive and racing apparel? idk

What is the price range would you pay for automotive or racing apparel? for a shirt 20$ and under hoodie 50 and under

?

boing

What factors do you consider when purchasing automotive and racing apparel? If it's something like a T-shirt, I look for black color, logos must be for a product/company I would use, otherwise something witty or interesting that speaks to what I enjoy about driving.

Pants are non-existant outside a fire suit.

Shoes need to look like regular sneakers instead of slippers or loafers.

Do you like shirts that are more graphics based, or saying based? Since most graphics based shirts are themed around a product/company I tend not to go for them because they are rarely something I'd want to advertise. So I tend to go towards sayings/slogans I like.

What do you like or dislike about automotive and racing apparel currently on the market? Too much FnF type stuff, or they're the car equivalent of the '80s ESPRIT shirts.... Driving shoes tend to look more like booties or loafers. Or have silly "look at me!" colors.

What would you like to see improved on in the current offerings for automotive and racing apparel? Shirts: long sleeve T and polo options. Front Zip hoodies would be nice too. Shoes: Sneaker uppers with thin driving soles and rounded heels in normal colors (black, white, grey).

What is the price range would you pay for automotive or racing apparel?Ts, 15-20, shoes 80-100 (but they should last) 50 or less if they're only built for occasional track days..

This message is too short to post without this sentence. Go fig.

I will add that most company's don't sell over a size XL.. So maybe something for us bigger folks.

I thought about this, and plan on offering larger sizes.

Before anything quailty. I hate getting a cheap ass made in china t shirt with a logo on it.

This really seems to be a theme I see over and over again. It comes down to profit vs product. I would rather loose a bit of profit so I can sell a nicer shirt.

After thinking for a bit, I believe mechanic-wear clothing might go over real well. Tough clothes that look good, but can handle being ground against oily pavement and getting splashes of gas and other chemicals on it. Think Dickies work pants, but cut maybe a little less "work-clothes" like and similar construction in a long-sleeved shirt (reinforced elbows and shoulders, possibly the whole back). Pockets that don't dump their contents when you're on your back would be good too. And maybe an option for the sleeve, from cuff to elbow, to have a Nomex outer or something similar to reduce forearm burns on hot parts.

Just a couple more ideas...

I thought about this, and plan on offering larger sizes.

XXL for me..

This really seems to be a theme I see over and over again. It comes down to profit vs product. I would rather loose a bit of profit so I can sell a nicer shirt.

This. If I know a product is quality and will hold up, I'll pay more.